Author Topic: NES Game label restoration  (Read 4355 times)

NES Game label restoration
« on: June 23, 2017, 01:00:12 pm »
Hello gamers,

Today I bought a NES game, the label has some air bubbles between the plastic layer and the label. The label under the plastic layer is still in good condition but looks ugly.
Does anyone have experience with this issue on how to make it look nice again?
I was thinking of heating up the plastic with a hair dryer, but am not sure if this will make it worse or damage the label itself.
Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Re: NES Game label restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:09:23 pm »
I have good experience in how to clean the stickers, markers, dirt, gunk, and who knows what  "that" is off of cartridges and labels, but I'm not really sure about label repair. In theory, the hairdryer method sounds like it would work. I'd use one of those plastic tabs (that come with cell phone screen protectors) to smooth over the label to release the bubbles. Best bet would be to test it out on a cheap cartridge first to make sure it won't ruin it.

If your not worried about having a completely original cartridge, you can remove the label, search for a scan of it, and go to gamereproductions.com. You can buy a new label there for less then $3.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:47:59 am »
I have good experience in how to clean the stickers, markers, dirt, gunk, and who knows what  "that" is off of cartridges and labels, but I'm not really sure about label repair. In theory, the hairdryer method sounds like it would work. I'd use one of those plastic tabs (that come with cell phone screen protectors) to smooth over the label to release the bubbles. Best bet would be to test it out on a cheap cartridge first to make sure it won't ruin it.

If your not worried about having a completely original cartridge, you can remove the label, search for a scan of it, and go to gamereproductions.com. You can buy a new label there for less then $3.
A repro label is just as bad as having no label at all.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:49:42 am by 98dgreen »

soera

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:43 am »

I have to disagree. A cart with no label is a horrible sight. Nothing wrong with repro labels imo.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:44:32 am »

I have to disagree. A cart with no label is a horrible sight. Nothing wrong with repro labels imo.

Says the guy that sold his NES collection  :o

rayne315

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 09:53:52 am »
lol I would have figured you would have known a way to fix this turf.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:42:46 am »
lol I would have figured you would have known a way to fix this turf.

I've cleaned a shit-load of labels.  I've don't lots of re-gluing of labels that have started to peel. 
This label is trashed. 

Personally, I think repro labels are the same as having no label.  It leads to a slippery slope of counterfeits sold as original.   I don't like it.  I'd rather have a less than perfect label than a repro.

soera

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 12:34:16 pm »

Says the guy that sold his NES collection  :o

LOL still! Id rather see "something" than nothing.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 03:13:05 pm »
Agree with the something rather than nothing.  Its really all a matter of opinion.  For example I hate sharpie writing on my carts but I don't mind old rental store stickers.   I have found memories of going to the rental store on the weekends and trying to decode what experience a video game might provide from terrible cover artwork alone.  So to me their part of the history, the zeitgiest if you would.