Author Topic: Gameboy Replacement Screen  (Read 1060 times)

athmaus

Gameboy Replacement Screen
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:27:55 am »
Have any of you replaced the original GameBoy screen?  I noticed that the screen is not working and curious if any of yuo have replaced and if it was very hard.  I saw most screens gonig for 10-20 bucks online

Re: Gameboy Replacement Screen
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 10:32:34 am »
Have any of you replaced the original GameBoy screen?  I noticed that the screen is not working and curious if any of yuo have replaced and if it was very hard.  I saw most screens gonig for 10-20 bucks online
A lot of times you can "repair" the screen by heating it.  I can't recall the process, but I wanna say it was taking a heat gun to the screen (after removing it from the system) and then putting it back together and the screen would work just fine.

But if you are going to replace it, you may want to look into the back light mod.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:32:52 pm »
A lot of times you can "repair" the screen by heating it.  I can't recall the process, but I wanna say it was taking a heat gun to the screen (after removing it from the system) and then putting it back together and the screen would work just fine.
This only works for static vertical lines shown on a GB display. It doesn't work when the GB display shows static horizontal lines or isn't working at all.

For more information on swapping the display you should search for step-by-step videos on youtube.
This one for example (although it covers the GB pocket, the process is very similar): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFBxlm6bC_U
The guy that runs this channel also has a ton of videos covering the installation of background lighting and bivert mods on the classic DMG.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:35:05 pm by blurks »

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 11:56:48 pm »
You're right on about the vertical line trick, I can vouch that it works like a charm.  Just be easy on the heat.