Author Topic: Atlus vs SquareSoft  (Read 2992 times)

Atlus vs SquareSoft
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:49:19 pm »
Two of the most accredited and illustrious companies involved with turn based and action RPGS and JRPGs.  A special place in many gamer's hearts. Square Soft with legendary titles like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Chrono Trigger/cross, Secret of Mana, xenoblades, ect...    A true staple in the RPG realm.  :)

And of course Atlus.  Who is behind the Shin Megami series, Persona, Odin Sphere, Catherine, Tokyo Mirage, rule of rose and many other renouned titles :)

Out of these two power houses.  Which developer do you think has had a bigger impact on video games and the RPG/JRPG genre?  :)

Square Enix isn't included because i feel it's a collaboration of two companies, SquareSoft and Enix and isn't quite fair.  But if you want to include Square Enix than feel free :).   

Re: Atlus vs SquareSoft
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:35:51 pm »
Squaresoft

azure

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:44:45 pm »
As a publisher and developer, Atlus takes it for me.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 11:09:08 pm »
Atlus has more solid titles. So Atlus.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:46:19 am »
Out of these two power houses.  Which developer do you think has had a bigger impact on video games and the RPG/JRPG genre?  :)

While Altus is doing great things, I think Squaresoft has had the bigger impact. Final Fantasy, Super Mario RPG, Dragon Warrior/Quest just to name a few.
Square shaped the RPG market during the SNES and PSX era.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 01:04:21 am »
Objectively, Square clearly has the bigger impact.  Final Fantasy alone is of far more importance to the JRPG genre than anything Atlus has done.  On the other hand, while Square has older importance, I'd question their modern status in comparison. I can't say for sure, I've only played two Atlus games (Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Persona 5 that I'm still playing), but Square has some big issues over the years with some of their biggest games.  Final Fantasy 13 was very polarizing, 14 was a disaster at launch, and 15 languished in development hell for years and even when it did come out, it had some very clear issues.  I can't say I've heard the same for Atlus and people are nuts for Persona 5, so they are in a pretty good place right now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:06:40 am by kamikazekeeg »

kashell

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 08:18:59 am »
Atlus.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 11:11:26 am »
1980s - 2003: Square (pretty much before they merged with Enix)

2004 - present: Atlus

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 12:02:31 pm »
i completely agree with bikingjahuty

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 01:03:03 pm »
Square Enix, because the Dragon Quest series is the best JRPG series.

And Einhander is a pretty damn awesome shoot-em up.

Nowadays, Square Enix is also expanding a lot beyond just RPGs. And so far, they're doing a pretty good job at it. So that also gives them points, IMO.

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 06:12:41 pm »
To answer your question obviously SquareSoft, they popularized a whole genre for the west. But I tend to prefer Atlus, for their quirky one-off titles more than anything.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 12:09:15 am »
def Atlus

doafan

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 02:30:41 pm »
Atlus without a doubt.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

maximo310

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 02:16:12 pm »
Squaresoft up until 6th gen. Since then, They've been goofing around, so then Atlus takes the crown from 6th gen-onwards.

pizzasafari

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 07:23:38 pm »
Well if the question is which had the bigger impact it'd be Square, no question. Final Fantasy VII was an absolute meteor of a smash hit and it made JRPGs a mainstream genre. No pun intended with the meteor.

As fantastic as Atlus' games are they're very niche and I definitely wouldn't say they've had much of an impact on video games as a whole. JRPGs were already revolutionised by Final Fantasy and I don't think they will be a second time.

If the question is which do I prefer though, depends on what timeframe we're talking. Comparing the pre-2002 companies I'd easily say Square, FF5 - 10 and Chrono Trigger are all amazing (haven't played Cross) and Final Fantasy 8 is my baby. I don't think there's any Atlus games prior to then that I like either. Since Sakaguchi leaving and the Enix merge though they've completely lost their way, and since then we've had Persona 3 4 and 5 which are gods among us that we are not worthy of.

So for me Square won until 2002, then Atlus left them in the dust as of 2006.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:26:27 pm by LeJason »