Author Topic: Gamestop and UPS Teamed Up to Destroy Sonic  (Read 3321 times)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

Gamestop and UPS Teamed Up to Destroy Sonic
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:54:58 pm »
Just received my Sonic Mania Collector's Edition and it is all smooshed. Am I overreacting or does gamestop need to provide full refund of item and shipping? I hate mashed stuff.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:15:20 pm by DreamsDied13101 »
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Gamestop and UPS Teamed Up to Destroy Sonic
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 06:02:20 pm »
I sure as hell hope so. Because the U.S. Post Office don't a give a F.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 06:16:19 pm »
I'm having too many problems uploading these photos so all I have is one for now. I know it doesn't look that bad in a picture, but in person the whole side of the box is mashed. Curse you Dr. Eggman!

The only reason I went with GameStop is because Amazon was out of pre-orders when I made the purchase. Then they received them in right before launch today. Wish I would have waited. Nothing good has ever come from GameStop.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:18:23 pm »
It's possible that you can contact Gamestop to ask about it.  I'm pretty sure also that USPS don't give no fucks about it, especially since it's only some general denting and such and would take that thing getting smashed completely before they'd do something about it.

azure

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:29:04 pm »
I love the post office, every time I order a game that comes in some sort of unique packaging I have to hope it arrives in decent shape. Amazon hasn't even shipped my Sonic Mania yet, ETA is Thursday. It really is a crap shoot whether or not these companies will ship the item out proper.

Nickkchilla

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:55:23 pm »
Dr. Eggman looks happy to see Sonic's side of the box ruined.

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 07:15:45 pm »
Gamestop has always done a terrible job of packaging items, imo. I'm always extremely surprised and super thankful when something comes through from GS unscathed.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 11:31:48 pm »
If you've got a local Gamestop, it's worth giving them a call to see if they can do an exchange at the store level. That way would save you quite a bit of shipping and time.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 11:50:08 pm »
Collector's Edition means "don't smash it, please!" But they don't get that. In my estimation, almost nobody cares about the "handling" part of shipping & handling anymore. Not just games, but in anything. There's so much stuff nowdays you can buy brand new with obvious damage to the packaging. The term "damaged goods" use to mean something. Would probably get written off and sold to some odd lot retailer. Not so anymore. Just put it on the shelf and sell it with a straight face.

Depending on who your post-man is, your fragile stuff will get curb-stomped, like mine. Just got done ranting about how this guy I bought Saturn games off of tells me he mailed my games in envelopes even after I asked nicely for him to use a box. Like anyone else, the post office does not care. Also, most distribution outlets do not care. The result, smashed stuff. I'm so sure of this kind of thing anymore, that I'd much rather try to buy something in person so I see what I'm getting.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 01:55:57 am »
GameStop provided me two $30 off coupons to be used on their site. Catch is they can't be used in tandem and they can't be used on consoles or pre-orders.  They are still allowing me to return the item if I want.

The problem is that after four codes they provided me not a single one has worked. I get to call in tomorrow and get upset again. No more Gamestop ever.

@emperordragon  None of my local stores have the game in stock for an exchange otherwise I would have loved to do that.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 02:44:15 am »
I got a birthday code form GameStop that was supposed to give me $5 off a pre-owned game, that also didn't work. Since it was just a birthday promo, I just got annoyed but moved on, didn't make a stink about it.

It seems to be a thing with them and online promo codes.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 10:53:55 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:37:01 pm by jce3000gt »

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 02:15:23 pm »
I appreciate the responses of anguish along side mine. :)

I ended up receiving six codes in total after all was done and the last two seemed promising. They allowed me to check out before receiving an error. In complete frustration I called back in and was told my escalation would take over 5 days to get a new code.

I told them I was done with codes and called the corporate office. The corporate office hooked me up and refunded my item completely (including my express shipping) and let me keep the item. They were very kind and considerate and took care of the issue.

GameStop joined the resistance and we defeated Eggman in this skirmish. Now I need to go find another Sonic Mania - hopefully a local seller so I can avoid another box smash.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 02:55:24 pm »
I would imagine there's some on eBay to snag. I heard many people complaining that they felt the extras were cheaply made, so some of those haters might be pawning them off. (Though I can't imagine why. This is one of the coolest collector's editions I've seen in a while. Much better than just a poster or soundtrack.)

Just make sure you get a seller with consistently good ratings, and you'll probably get someone that ships well.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 02:59:21 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:36:36 pm by jce3000gt »