Author Topic: Game Storage  (Read 3881 times)

Game Storage
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:06:41 pm »
Hey everyone. Was wondering what people recommended for storing games in on a budget. Like a bookshelf or something similar.

I've been eyeing this shelf for a couple days now, but was wondering if anyone else knew if there were better options.

https://www.wayfair.ca/Prepac-Double-Media-Multimedia-Storage-Rack-PRP1001.html#readmoremodal1

Currently Playing
Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch, Persona 3/4/5

Re: Game Storage
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 10:49:01 pm »
I've been getting these when they go on sale:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KW0CRI/ref=twister_B007C6UVPY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Same company as the ones you're looking at, but much more storage for your dollar.

Though, if budget is a huge concern, don't get anything specifically designed for media storage. Instead, just buy a basic bookshelf, which can hold a similar amount of games for about a third of the price.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:52:39 pm »
Room space is also a concern at the moment too, which is why i was looking at the smaller size. Being in Canada, even a basic bookshelf can seem pretty expensive here. I've been looking in a few places I know and there's not much for quality or size.
Currently Playing

topspot123

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 11:44:32 pm »
I've been getting these when they go on sale:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KW0CRI/ref=twister_B007C6UVPY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have two shelves like these and I love them!  In a perfect world I definitely recommend media shelves over bookshelves but everyone's situation is different.   

Depending on your level of skill simple shelves are pretty easy to make on your own.  If you are looking for cheap, you can't beat this build idea:

Cheap DIY Video Game or DVD Shelves: $15 and an hour of work for 700+ game storage

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:36:03 pm by topspot123 »

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 08:14:11 am »
I make my own, cost varies depending on the size, but they are nice and sturdy.

$15-30.

rayne315

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 09:58:51 am »
my personal game storage is this: https://www.target.com/p/5-shelf-bookcase-sauder-174/-/A-50364778#lnk=sametab&preselect=50300325

they comfortably fit ~320 ps2 cases each but you have to get creative with the shelves themselves as there are only 3 and 1 unmovable one. I just remove a shelf from my more filled ones and use them for other games like cartridges.

at my local target they are also only $24 but it seems like every year or so they mess with the dimensions of the shelves. I have 5 of exactly the same ones but 3 different depths to them. one where I can comfortably double up the games, one where 3/4ths of a second case will overhang the end of the shelf, and one where there is only about 3 inches of room from the edge of the first case. I prefer the astetics of the last one but have found on carpet it is rather unstable as such I put lighter games on the top shelves, losser packed, and heavier ones, tighter packed, on the bottom.

I've been eyeing this shelf for a couple days now, but was wondering if anyone else knew if there were better options.

im not sure how big into collecting you are (if you will ever fill more than 1 bookcase) but the bottom of that unit will make it waste a lot of space if you ever buy a second one just because you can not butt them up together.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:07:42 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:19:04 am »
For years I was getting various media shelves made by Atlantic. The quality was not the most amazing, but they always got the job done. However, I bought some media shelves from them back in May that were absolutely horrible in terms of quality and storage and returned them. I heard prepac is excellent although I've never personally bought/used one of their media shelves.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:24:35 am »
This is what mine look like

At this point the 2 shelves hold all of my PS1/PS2 games and I still have about a whole shelf free.  So each unit holds roughly 500 games.

6' tall, 3' wide, 6" deep.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 11:51:19 am »

im not sure how big into collecting you are (if you will ever fill more than 1 bookcase) but the bottom of that unit will make it waste a lot of space if you ever buy a second one just because you can not butt them up together.

I've technically only just started collecting, and my collection isn't very big yet. My current space restriction is about the size of a wide closet (5ft wide) and building my own is something I've never really done, nor do I have the time or tools to do so.
Currently Playing

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 04:20:16 pm »
Stack them on the floor, big money saver.  ;)

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 06:01:40 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:33:31 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 06:13:44 pm »

At this point the 2 shelves hold all of my PS1/PS2 games and I still have about a whole shelf free.  So each unit holds roughly 500 games.

Is that handmade with real wood or one of those RTA (ready-to-assemble) units? 
Handmade with real wood.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 07:58:31 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:33:38 pm by jce3000gt »

tpugmire

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 08:28:04 pm »

Is that handmade with real wood or one of those RTA (ready-to-assemble) units? 
Handmade with real wood.

Cool, I can dig it.  Can you post what materials you used?  :)

He already did. Wood. Real wood.  Probably some screws too.
 ;)
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 09:27:46 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:33:44 pm by jce3000gt »