Author Topic: Why is the picture always on the side?  (Read 1752 times)

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

Why is the picture always on the side?
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:14:38 pm »
Minutes ago I've just created a new listing for the Greatest Hits french canadian version of Tourist Trophy: The Real Riding Simulator (PS2/NA) and the first picture is always on the side on the website, even tough it's a vertical picture (confirmed by MS Paint).

You can even see in the screenshot that I tried to edit the picture after double-checking that it was vertical, but nothing changed. Can admins/moderators fix this please?

By the way I'm new to this website and this is my very first post on this forum :)
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

Re: Why is the picture always on the side?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 07:28:35 pm »
Wow. Again!

https://vgcollect.com/item/131461

This time there's one picture on the side and another one upside down. WTF is this? On my PC they appear the right side up. What's wrong?
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

telly

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 08:59:50 pm »
Wow. Again!

https://vgcollect.com/item/131461

This time there's one picture on the side and another one upside down. WTF is this? On my PC they appear the right side up. What's wrong?

I've noticed this a few times as well, not sure what's going on.

The description also needs to be changed for the item. Subjective/inappropriate information. I'm on my phone so I can't do it, haha
Currently Playing:
Super Monkey Ball (GC), Tunic (Switch), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 09:34:17 pm »
What do you mean by subjective/innapropriate information? What part?

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 09:59:07 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:32:23 pm by jce3000gt »

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 09:24:03 am »
Oh that  ;D

I actually said "learn to speak french you anglophones", an anglophone means an english speaker. But sure, I'll remove that. And if the pictures could be fixed by an admin or moderator I would appreciate. Thanks.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 08:15:03 pm »
I would like to take this opportunity to call out an issue with your images for items 131469, 131461, 131456. Please read and follow our style guide. Do not merely take a quick snapshot and throw it on the site.

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 06:08:04 am »
It is most likely an issue with the orientation tag within the JPEG metadata. Either your version of Paint is not storing it correctly or the JPEG framework of vgcollect cannot read it.

telly

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 07:02:23 am »
My guess is the second, I noticed a separate user had a recent listing with the same problem. I made a post in listing errors about it
Currently Playing:

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 09:25:25 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:32:13 pm by jce3000gt »

telly

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 09:40:58 am »
It's very strange for sure. I was actually thinking of a different person than you! So it seems like it's happening to a few people  :o
Currently Playing:

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 10:04:33 am »
It's very strange for sure. I was actually thinking of a different person than you! So it seems like it's happening to a few people  :o

It happens when you take pictures with a phone. Just run them thru paint and resave them.

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 11:54:57 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:32:06 pm by jce3000gt »

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 11:56:36 am »
It is most likely an issue with the orientation tag within the JPEG metadata.

Since VGCollect cannot be turned sideways, it has no use for orientation tag. So yes, the reason why the picture appears OK for people viewing it is because the program they are using is not showing them how the image actually is, but is reading a part of the file and changing its appearance based on that.

Anyone who finds an entry with a sideways picture, please try to replace the image with an edit. If you can't find a picture to replace it with, report the item in the Listing Errors thread.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 08:39:00 am »
I would like to take this opportunity to call out an issue with your images for items 131469, 131461, 131456. Please read and follow our style guide. Do not merely take a quick snapshot and throw it on the site.
I don't have anything to scan game covers but I'll just take better pictures and remove the background.