Author Topic: Rubber Banding and Rubber Band AI In Racing Games Or Cheating AI In Games  (Read 1963 times)

How many have this issue, in racing games? where like when trying to turn your racing vechile and have to put up with losing control of the back side of your car, eventually crashing into a wall then hit by a computer, and do a spin out then lose a race in last place because once the computers are past you and keep going. I read that someone on retro collect mentioned rubber banding and I only just recently came across this frustration. In games like Wave Race 64 and 1080 snowboarding for the N64. and even sometimes in gran turismo

AND does anyone have it where your like playing a sports title and all of a sudden the AI beats the crap out of you by sending all of your players to the opposite side of the game while the computer racks up points? on your defense?

a video about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xmFxnPtARo

I am starting to think that hackers altered all my video games so I lose at them it is possible I mean I've seen my PC game disc curropted while strange people would pull in at my neighbors house
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:43:49 am by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

Re: Rubber Banding and Rubber Band AI In Racing Games Or Cheating AI In Games
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 09:57:32 am »
I don't really remember the rubberbanding in Gran Turismo, but I do remember it being absolutely atrocious in Need For Speed on the Xbone/PS4/

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:14:13 am »
This guy must truly suck at racing games complaining about ai

I mean seriously If you can't even beat mario kart  :o

https://youtu.be/4xmFxnPtARo?t=711

I pretty much beat every cup and difficulty within one try 2 3 stars except for the later ones for the 3 star rankings in the entire franchise

If your first the only items you need is a banana and for 3 star rankings you usually are miles in front of the competition so luck with items is pretty minimal there. With players sure but AI are really easy compared to good players.

The only challenge in mario kart is getting 3 star rankings thanks to some annoying requirements in especially some games of this franchise, 1st place is a piece of cake

Except super mario kart and gba mario kart since I don't enjoy those if I'm honest.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:16:00 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:28:42 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:26:12 pm by jce3000gt »

Agozer

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 07:52:27 am »
The WipEout series has been somewhat notorious of this throughout the years. Also, once you lose he lead, it seems to be nearly impossible to climb bck up in most games. Sure, such an AI keeps the races tense, but once you make a single mistake, you often pay for it dearly.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:17:13 am »
I really have to disagree with some opinions on here

If you would like to have AI that would lower in skill when you lose allot of distance you should pick more easy difficulty. Than even when you make some mistakes you can still take first place. seriously if It's really a complaint you should just play on lower difficulties.

The higher the difficuly gets the more perfect you have to be, I don't see why rubberbanding ai is a bad thing when your playing better or on higher difficulties it's a good thing.

Furthermore It's a racing game, that's how racing games work if your distance is to great to reach first place again. If you would play against real life players the same thing would happen unless they makes mistakes or are mediocre players why would the ai need to be easy or flawed.

Besides there are plenty of other games with hard ai however with some genre's there are more ways to comeback, but with regular racing games It's only normal that after some mistakes you cannot take first place over again since there is only so much you can do.

These complaints do not make any sense to me. If you want to win at higher difficulties at such games you just have to play without making mistakes, besides in any normal racing games there is nothing that will interfere while your being in first place so wins can be consistent if your good. if you make a mistake It's your own fault.

Racing games are  all about achieving the best laps and knowing the different courses, hardcore race fans strife for perfection, best laps require trial and error and allot of them, It's not for everyone repeating the same thing every time. If this is a complaint I would recommend lowering the difficulty since I actually think it is pretty logical on the higher difficulties for racing games after only few or 1 single mistake.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:18:52 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 08:57:03 am »
does anyone have the trouble I have where the back of the car always causes you to lose control. Because all racing games I play today It's like the back of the car is sliding on ice and it happens on every turn. and I can actual deal with that as long as if's not a nascar game and the cpu keeps on knocking me into the pit like Nascar 99 for ps1

Yea I know how to release the gas on turns but it still don't help much when the AI causes you to spin out of control and sent back to last place
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 12:33:57 am »
Super Mario Kart cheats so freaking bad whenever you're doing good. They just suddenly start hauling butt without using any special item. The cheapness of the the first game was eventually replaced with the non-stop blue shells of the later games. But the series has always had a policy of punishment for doing well.

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 11:27:50 pm »
It all boils down to "get good".  I know it's a dick thing to say but it's the only way.  I don't have much of a problem with rubber banding AI, don't get me wrong it's annoying and frustrating.  Especially when the AI is programmed in a way to learn your driving habits and respond in kind.  Since I usually play very aggressively the AI responds in kind.  So I just keep chipping at it until I get it.

As far as your cornering problem and sliding the back end of your vehicle goes, sounds like you're coming into the curves to fast and over-steering too much.  Letting off the accelerator is only part of the equation.  Use your brake and learn to use opposite lock or counter-steering to drift when you lose traction in the back end.  Just keep at you'll get it.

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 08:24:47 am »
Rubber banding in racing games is a way to make the game more casual and exciting.  It makes it almost always seem like the race is close to create those tense situations.  It grants the user a level of accomplishment.  It's a psychological thing.

Rubber banding in Banjo Tooie.  What that does is makes the race physically impossible to win by sheer skill.  If you do your damnedest, the AI will always go faster than you and slingshot past you at the end.  To win requires gaming the rubber band system by staying slightly behind the AI at all times so that YOU can take advantage of the rubber band mechanic.  It is frustrating and makes the final Canary Mary race one of the most notorious offenders of cheap ass rubber band mechanics.