Author Topic: Do you buy games you know you probably won't play?  (Read 5230 times)

Re: Do you buy games you know you probably won't play?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 04:34:16 pm »
In a way yes, i only buy games that i know i want to play but sadly i also know that i already have too many games and too little time to play them all, so some of them will probably never be played (tested at least, to see if they works, but not played, and i don't even consider games that doesn't work, like some pc games i have on Steam).

Warmsignal

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 04:38:13 pm »
I have to say yes. I have a wall of PS4 titles that sometimes I look at and be like "why did this game get a physical release?" Im the anti "dude bro" gamer so all those sports/racing/fps style of games on my wall are definitely not in my want to play list and lately a lot of the newer consoles have a giant percentage of them as released titles.

Racing is a genre I've been thinking a lot of about trying to get back into, it seems to be a rather niche market now - I don't think they're very popular at all. I want to get some more racing titles for my PS4 collection. ...and thank the lord for all of those titles getting a physical release that "didn't need one". All games need a physical release.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2017, 04:44:34 pm »
yep especially if a good deal.Besides I got the room it's a fun hobby and i like things that look pretty on the shelf.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2017, 04:50:09 pm »

There are games I own that are on platforms I have little to no interest in playing. Not counting things I've since changed my mind on... But for example, the Transformers game on cassette for C64, I won't ever play. It just goes into my Transformers room on the media shelf.

Wait you have a hole room dedicated to transformers? Cool!!!!!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2017, 04:51:02 pm »

There are games I own that are on platforms I have little to no interest in playing. Not counting things I've since changed my mind on... But for example, the Transformers game on cassette for C64, I won't ever play. It just goes into my Transformers room on the media shelf.

dreama1

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2017, 06:04:30 am »
So here's something that I feel we could discuss (I'm not sure if there was already a topic like this). Since we're all collecting games here, do any of you ever purchase games that you know you probably won't ever get into and play? It could be because you don't have the time to play, you're tired of a genre, or something to that degree.

The past month, my SO and I have been binge-buying games, especially more modern titles for PS3 and 360. He liked to pick up any games he thought had interesting cover art, even if he's never heard of them. But really, we both doubt that either of us will ever play them, or, if we do, it won't be but for a few minutes to try it out. A lot of them were incredible deals at pawn shops, so it was hard to resist adding them to our collection. Some of the games that come to mind are Lair and Clive Barker's Jericho - not exactly shovelware, but not really games that come to mind as some of the most noteworthy games of the last generation. We've decided to slow down though, mostly because we're quickly running out of shelf space for all of them, but also because it does seem a bit wasteful to be buying things that are almost only there to look pretty.

I think a majority of us are guilty of this, especially some of us with massive collections - certainly you don't have time to play all of those games, right? How do you feel about this subject?
You'll burn yourself out in a few months. And either sell the whole thing or keep a few.

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2017, 08:51:53 am »
I'm primarily a gamer, so no. I only buy games when I believe they will be much fun or interesting to play.
Only exception: The Fallout Anthology for PC. Played FO3 and FONV on PC before I bought the Anthology. Probably will never use one of the Discs, but they came in a f*ckin' Mini-Nuke!

tripredacus

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2017, 10:35:35 am »

Yes it is my 2nd longest hobby. I also have a room for baseball cards but I am really thinking of converting that over to be partially for computers.

sworddude

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2017, 11:17:19 am »
So here's something that I feel we could discuss (I'm not sure if there was already a topic like this). Since we're all collecting games here, do any of you ever purchase games that you know you probably won't ever get into and play? It could be because you don't have the time to play, you're tired of a genre, or something to that degree.

The past month, my SO and I have been binge-buying games, especially more modern titles for PS3 and 360. He liked to pick up any games he thought had interesting cover art, even if he's never heard of them. But really, we both doubt that either of us will ever play them, or, if we do, it won't be but for a few minutes to try it out. A lot of them were incredible deals at pawn shops, so it was hard to resist adding them to our collection. Some of the games that come to mind are Lair and Clive Barker's Jericho - not exactly shovelware, but not really games that come to mind as some of the most noteworthy games of the last generation. We've decided to slow down though, mostly because we're quickly running out of shelf space for all of them, but also because it does seem a bit wasteful to be buying things that are almost only there to look pretty.

I think a majority of us are guilty of this, especially some of us with massive collections - certainly you don't have time to play all of those games, right? How do you feel about this subject?
You'll burn yourself out in a few months. And either sell the whole thing or keep a few.

For many collectors it seems that numbers look nice on the shelves. I for one would think the opposite If I would add games that are not fun to play wich in turn would not look pretty on the shelves with only a few games here and there wich are interesting.

Maybe for cib nes games but even than I would say no. Neo geo yea sure since all those games are good.

As far as playing all games goes, If you have decent collection you will not be able to play them all period. Just focus on a few at a time, Rushing thing and playing them games for a short time is not to much fun if you would like my opinion.

I don't mind it to much never playing certain games in the collection, my costs are none anyways. If I would spend full prices on expensive games and had allot of money invested in it while never playing allot of games than yes I would most definitely think twice before adding certain games. I would have a significant smaller collection only adding games wich I would play allot and in way less quantities.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:22:09 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2017, 11:41:26 am »
I do, though I always tell myself I'll get around to them. While I always buy stuff I would/want to play, the main problem is my backlog is just too big, so I'm perpetually 'behind' on stuff. Online games like Destiny and FFXIV tend to add to that backlog, since I'm not actively progressing through the stack lol

Still, I keep buying, and I don't really sell anything unless it's something I just flat out didn't like, or wound up with multiple copies of.

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2017, 02:01:23 pm »
No, and yes...I try to make a focused collection , but if i get a good deal, i acquire it too

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2017, 02:23:56 pm »

For many collectors it seems that numbers look nice on the shelves. I for one would think the opposite If I would add games that are not fun to play wich in turn would not look pretty on the shelves with only a few games here and there wich are interesting.

Maybe for cib nes games but even than I would say no. Neo geo yea sure since all those games are good.

As far as playing all games goes, If you have decent collection you will not be able to play them all period. Just focus on a few at a time, Rushing thing and playing them games for a short time is not to much fun if you would like my opinion.

I don't mind it to much never playing certain games in the collection, my costs are none anyways. If I would spend full prices on expensive games and had allot of money invested in it while never playing allot of games than yes I would most definitely think twice before adding certain games. I would have a significant smaller collection only adding games wich I would play allot and in way less quantities.

exactly my opinion, i'd rather have 500 games that I love than having to go trough 2000 games only to find only a few that i like

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2017, 04:49:35 pm »
I got off on a bit of a tangent the other day, but here is my direct response to the question.

I don't really collect anymore, at least at the level I did prior to six months ago, but whenever I bought games to add to the collection it was always with the intent of playing them eventually. Even if that meant 10+ years down the road. I was not the kind of collector that just filled my collection with any game I could get my hands on for cheap for the sake of bolstering my collection numbers. Every game had a purpose and still does.

With that said, many of the games I have sold out of my collection have been ones that I probably would not have touched for a very long time, or games that I did end up playing and for one reason or another felt that I probably would never play them again. Some of these games were games that were worth a fair amount and their value was not enough to  inspire me to hold onto them anymore given their quality.

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2017, 11:26:32 pm »
exactly my opinion, i'd rather have 500 games that I love than having to go trough 2000 games only to find only a few that i like

I'd rather have the 2000 games to sort through because I never know if a game I wouldn't normally play is going to be a hidden gem. Some have been as horrible as I expected, but others I wound up enjoying immensely. Best personal example for me is the Dynasty Warriors franchise, where I got Dynasty Warriors Gundam becasue it was dirt cheap, and now several years later, I've got 13 100% completions across the franchise.

sworddude

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2017, 07:36:10 am »

I'd rather have the 2000 games to sort through because I never know if a game I wouldn't normally play is going to be a hidden gem. Some have been as horrible as I expected, but others I wound up enjoying immensely. Best personal example for me is the Dynasty Warriors franchise, where I got Dynasty Warriors Gundam becasue it was dirt cheap, and now several years later, I've got 13 100% completions across the franchise.

You could also just do some research to look for games wich you are into, pretty easy to spot on the web. I do understand the so called suprise factor but than again if your going towards that route you will probably not get the games that you would truly like. Since they will be less likely to find for dirt cheap in most cases. For xbox 360 and ps3 this might be an exception.

Dynasty warriors is btw not really a franchise that I would consider a hidden gem. There are many dynasty warrior games especially on the ps2. If you like your hack n slash games you can't miss these and they are made by Koei with them many rpg's. The only reason why these games are so cheap is because they did sell well in the past and that they are uncommon at best thanks to that, therefore in plenty of quantities available
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:11:08 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!