Author Topic: Mario Odyssey Discussion!  (Read 4987 times)

Re: Mario Odyssey Discussion!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 05:02:38 pm »
Wind Waker HD Bundle also had a digital code.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 10:09:43 pm »
This game is so incredible!!  Just when I thought BOTW had no chance of being dethroned this year now it's truly a close call for GOTY :).   I love the new flare and unique creativity they have added to Mario with the cap powers and especially the costumes.  It really adds depth and It seems like the levels are so huge with well over 20 moon thingies to collect each. 

I had a feeling it would be great but I think it passed my expectations. Might pass BOTW if it keeps this pace with it's epic boss battles. :)

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 10:24:57 pm »
I'm half-way through the levels I think at the moment, going by the balloon's progress, and really enjoying it.  It's basically everything I was expecting.  It takes the great world design and collectible hunt of 64 and Sunshine, while also having elements seen in the following 3D Mario games.  Even the motion control inclusion, something I've talked about in length on how much I don't like it, is done better here, being completely option and more usable on a far better controller if I really need it.

It's pretty great and what I've been wanting for awhile.  Yooka-Laylee and A Hat in Time had good stuff in them, but were held back by basically being lower budget indie titles, whereas Odyssey has the potential to be one of my top favorite Mario game.  Kinda crazy to get both this and BOTW this year and becoming my favorites of the series.

*EDIT*
Already posted my basic review in the 52 Games Challenge thread, so I'll just say that I think the game is fantastic, on the verge of perfect, if it just wasn't re-using boss fights.  There are unique ones, at least 6 I think, but you fight the Broodals and Bowser twice and I hate when Mario games do that.  Just toss in the Koopalings for mini-boss fodder if you have to, just do anything other than slightly harder versions of fights I had already done.  Otherwise, I think it's my favorite Mario.  Got so damn much to collect now, wearing a wonderful outfit that made me quite happy, though I won't spoil the surprise.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:36:38 am by kamikazekeeg »

aliensstudios

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 12:00:51 pm »
I'm going to get a copy today! Can't wait!
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 05:20:04 pm »
So far my thoughts are that the game is amazing.  The musical scores, the slight retro flare they blend with the new 3D mechanics is perfect and New Donk City in the rain might be the most stunning Mario level ever :)

My only cons it that it could use more boss fights in between the massive amounts of moon hunting.  It seems like you need 10+ moons to leave each level, sometimes 20 but you only fight maybe 1 or 2 bosses in that time frame.  I think each level should have 4-6 bosses and said boss fights hopefully will get tougher as I progress because it's been too easy so far but I am only about half way through.   But all and all it's a masterpiece. :D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 05:21:50 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 08:31:40 am »
Welp.  I went total internet blackout and played all weekend and took yesterday off and played more.  Game is pretty amazing.  I think I'm at about 600 Moon Moons.

Might play more tonight while handing out candy.  I want to jump into AC:Origins, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow I suspect.

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 02:38:32 pm »
What you unlock at 500 moons is a real good challenge.  I still haven't been able to beat it yet.  I mean, it's "Mario Hard", but it's really easy to fail after any slip-ups.

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 02:41:50 pm »
What you unlock at 500 moons is a real good challenge.  I still haven't been able to beat it yet.  I mean, it's "Mario Hard", but it's really easy to fail after any slip-ups.
I got to the part after the Yoshi part with 6 health, and then I hit the lava.  Game over man, Game over.

I beat the previous unlock though.

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 03:47:03 pm »
I got to the part after the Yoshi part with 6 health, and then I hit the lava.  Game over man, Game over.

I've probably died well over two dozen times trying to beat that place.  The platforms that come after that section is rough and you need all the hearts you can get.

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 03:54:30 pm »

I've probably died well over two dozen times trying to beat that place.  The platforms that come after that section is rough and you need all the hearts you can get.
Are we talking about the same thing?  The wall with the moving parts?

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 03:57:22 pm »

Are we talking about the same thing?  The wall with the moving parts?

Yeah after the conveyor wall section with yoshi, the flying, then the lava flinging, there's another section with a moving platform that's easy to get hit.

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 04:20:05 pm »
No, not the conveyor wall.  You throw your hat at the scarecrow and then the wall starts popping out in sections.  That's as far as I got.

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 05:03:26 pm »
No, not the conveyor wall.  You throw your hat at the scarecrow and then the wall starts popping out in sections.  That's as far as I got.

Oh right, that section, sorry, I got the placement wrong.  Yeah that one took me abit to memorize it.  I'm about three sections pass that with more to go.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 06:47:07 pm »

I'm happy to hear it gets challengeful later :).   I have loved Mario Odyssey so far after completing it but do feel it has been a little too easy even for a Mario game.  But I haven't gotten to the darker side or any of the 200+ moon levels.  Hoping to be humbled with some moon collecting endeavors as well.

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2017, 07:50:12 pm »

Oh right, that section, sorry, I got the placement wrong.  Yeah that one took me abit to memorize it.  I'm about three sections pass that with more to go.
Now I've got as far as the part with the needle nose bird and the swinging walls.