Author Topic: Upload a CSV, and mobile-optimized version?  (Read 2317 times)

Upload a CSV, and mobile-optimized version?
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:23:42 pm »
Hi Vgcollect folks!

I just created my account today, and I'm really digging the site so far.  I had previously be cataloging my collection in the (very nice) Mac app "Delicious Library 2."  That app allows me to export a .CSV of my collection (as does vgcollect) - is there any plans to be able to upload a .CSV to the site, along with downloading?  That would save considerable time as I migrate my catalog here.

Also, I'm just wondering if there are plans for a mobile-optimized version of the site (read: "iPhone version")?  Would be nice for looking up items while cruising thrift stores and yardsales...

Thanks for all the obvious work that's gone into this site - it's a real boon for us obsessive nerds!

Huxley

scott

Re: Upload a CSV, and mobile-optimized version?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 06:24:36 pm »
I can answer part of these questions.

We currently only have an App for Android in development, mainly because... well, Matt doesn't own a Mac to code on. We were working on a mobile site for a bit and as far as I know, someone was lined up to take over coding of it, but I'm not sure if that deal fell through. We would love to have an iPhone App for all the Apple nerds too, but for now we are stuck w/ a non-mobile friendly site and an Android only app.

As far as the importing your collection goes, that'll have to wait for Matt to answer...

But welcome to the site and I'm glad you are enjoying it so far. We aim to be as user friendly as possible, so if you notice any problems let us know.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:48:10 pm »
Hey huxley! Welcome to the site.

I'd be really curious to see what your export file looks like. Could you send it over to matt@vgcollect.com? If so, I'm sure I can get all if not most of it imported. Really the only issue would be if the names of the games don't match up but the majority of them should. I can run an import and produce a report for you of the games that didn't get added which should help get you most of the way.

As for a mobile view, this has been on my task list for months but I just haven't gotten around to it. Stay tuned for news on this one.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I LOVE hearing user feedback so please let me know if you have any other questions of suggestions.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:03:34 am »
I can answer part of these questions.

We currently only have an App for Android in development, mainly because... well, Matt doesn't own a Mac to code on. We were working on a mobile site for a bit and as far as I know, someone was lined up to take over coding of it, but I'm not sure if that deal fell through. We would love to have an iPhone App for all the Apple nerds too, but for now we are stuck w/ a non-mobile friendly site and an Android only app.

As far as the importing your collection goes, that'll have to wait for Matt to answer...

But welcome to the site and I'm glad you are enjoying it so far. We aim to be as user friendly as possible, so if you notice any problems let us know.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the warm welcome and info!

I spent more than 7 years with Apple (up till last summer), so I'm definitely an OS X / iOS guy.  Unfortunately, I was always on the support and sales end of things, so I'm in no shape to offer help with actually coding an iOS or WebKit app.  That being said, I can say that most (all?) of the game collecting / cataloging apps currently in the iOS App Store are rather.... lackluster.  I would love to see some really competent devs tackle this - I'll spread the word amongst my Apple peeps!

Thanks again,

Huxley

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 12:05:39 am »
Hey huxley! Welcome to the site.

I'd be really curious to see what your export file looks like. Could you send it over to matt@vgcollect.com? If so, I'm sure I can get all if not most of it imported. Really the only issue would be if the names of the games don't match up but the majority of them should. I can run an import and produce a report for you of the games that didn't get added which should help get you most of the way.

As for a mobile view, this has been on my task list for months but I just haven't gotten around to it. Stay tuned for news on this one.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I LOVE hearing user feedback so please let me know if you have any other questions of suggestions.

I've just sent the sample CSV file to the address above - thanks for taking a look at it, and for the kind words and encouragement!

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:49:33 am »
Oh, and one other quick suggestion:  As I'm blazing through my game collection, adding each cart and title, it's annoying to have to specify each time that it's a loose cart.  It would be awesome if a user could set a default status for each game added (loose cart, CIB, NIB, etc.) and then manually adjust the odd exception, rather than the default assuming that every game is CIB.

Just a thought - hope it helps!