Author Topic: Making extra money for games purchases,  (Read 4305 times)

thefr0zenanus

Making extra money for games purchases,
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:21:57 am »
i'm kinda curious, about the amount of effort you guys take in to buy games you guys add into you're collection. other than having a job. do some of you guys do laborwork? do surveys? help out friends?

Re: Making extra money for games purchases,
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 08:27:05 am »
Cashback rewards on various credit cards, selling duplicates, free giftcards through various channels, etc.

pizzasafari

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 09:33:05 am »
free giftcards through various channels

Come again? What? How?

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 09:34:23 am »
Just take advantage of what's around & not too hard for ya... if you use Bing instead of google, you can get rewards that translate into gift cards (Amazon, GameStop, Xbox available). Have Prime? Use no-rush shipping for digital discounts. That kind of thing.

For me though? It boils down to 'always set money aside'. Are releases slow? Are you not feeling up to hunting down older or retro releases? Save some money for games anyway- you'll be glad to have it later when things pick up again.

I've never taken on extra work for the purposes of gaming money- the closest I've come is earmarking money from anime stuff sold as gaming money. That's a bit different though, as the main reasoning for the selling was not getting money, but reclaiming storage space.

Come again? What? How?

Want a Bing Rewards referral? I get points for that! ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:36:51 am by hoshichiri »

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 09:59:43 am »
Yup.  Bing Rewards.  No-Rush shipping credits.  My insurance pays me in Amazon gift cards for meeting my step count goals. 

Then you have Amazon Rewards Credit Card's 5% back, ebay bucks, Best Buy's 6% back, and cash back on other credit cards.

pizzasafari

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 10:09:53 am »

Come again? What? How?

I don't know what that is but if it gets me free stuff please do!

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 10:11:07 am »

Come again? What? How?

I don't know what that is but if it gets me free stuff please do!
It gets him free stuff.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 10:30:10 am »
I know this is a bit controversial, but I sell to buy more, at least I used to. Essentially if I was hunting for games and found a valuable game for cheap I'd buy it regardless of whether or not I was interested in it or already had it. I'd then flip it on ebay, and use the money to fund the purchases of games I actually wanted to keep and play. This was especially valuable when buying directly from ebay, typically games that are either very hard to find in the wild or games that carry with them a very high price tag. he way that I looked at it is if my initial investment in 10 games I bought was $50, and I went back around and sold them on Ebay for $200, and then later bought a $200 game with that money, it was kind of like getting it for $50 since that was all the money I was out.

Honestly if it were not for this tactic my collection would be a fraction of its current size and I'd definitely not have probably half the rarer games I own. On top of that I doubt I'd got into collecting as much if I didn't do this since buying games full retail can get very expensive, at least it is too rich for my blood in some situations.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 10:37:03 am »
I know this is a bit controversial, but I sell to buy more, at least I used to. Essentially if I was hunting for games and found a valuable game for cheap I'd buy it regardless of whether or not I was interested in it or already had it. I'd then flip it on ebay, and use the money to fund the purchases of games I actually wanted to keep and play. This was especially valuable when buying directly from ebay, typically games that are either very hard to find in the wild or games that carry with them a very high price tag. he way that I looked at it is if my initial investment in 10 games I bought was $50, and I went back around and sold them on Ebay for $200, and then later bought a $200 game with that money, it was kind of like getting it for $50 since that was all the money I was out.

Honestly if it were not for this tactic my collection would be a fraction of its current size and I'd definitely not have probably half the rarer games I own. On top of that I doubt I'd got into collecting as much if I didn't do this since buying games full retail can get very expensive, at least it is too rich for my blood in some situations.

YOU DIRTY SCALPER!  YOU SHOULD LEAVE THOSE FOR REAL COLLECTORS THAT WANT THEM!!!

I'm playing.  I do the same thing, except I like to do it in person.  I have sold tons of stuff to finance high priced stuff. 

Funny story, I bought women's purses at yard sales and thrift stores; then, I sold them on eBay.  That's how I bought Bonk's Adventure.   ;D

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 10:56:23 am »
I'll add this:

E-Rewards (https://www.e-rewards.com/global_home.do). If you have a Gamestop Powerup Rewards account (free or paid I believe, but you get more money with the paid) you can take surveys. I take the surveys during my lunch hour at work while I watch youtube videos and eat. I get about $30 - $50 dollars every 4 months. It's not much obviously, but it's basically free money, takes very little time, and takes a good chunk out of new AAA games or buys a few vintage games to round out the collection. The Gamestop store people are always like, "How do you get so many points!?"

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 11:11:53 am »
Recently, now that I'm getting to the end of my "collecting" and every thing I want is expensive, I've been selling off duplicates or games I decide I no longer want to pay for the pricier games.

But I'm running into constant financial situations that all of that selling money is just going straight to the bank to pay for stuff.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 11:18:56 am »

YOU DIRTY SCALPER!  YOU SHOULD LEAVE THOSE FOR REAL COLLECTORS THAT WANT THEM!!!

I'm playing.  I do the same thing, except I like to do it in person.  I have sold tons of stuff to finance high priced stuff. 

Funny story, I bought women's purses at yard sales and thrift stores; then, I sold them on eBay.  That's how I bought Bonk's Adventure.   ;D

I do the same thing except for the buying part for the games that I really want. I keep the money around So I can buy many lots and bigger lots if excellent chances come up wich contains stuff that I need, excellent deals for a to good of a price or just stuff wich I need but are hard to find if it's a very good price

Even to cheap to get myself a shinobi III for the megadrive but someday I'll find one :P It's only 1 of the 4 megadrive games that are very high on my megadrive list. Could just hit the bullet and buy them 4 games but what can i say.

Had some but the condition was always lacking.

I will say though thanks to the not buying part my collection is lacking some pretty common and some of the more must have games not that I mind since I pretty much have everything that I truly want except for 4 sega titles.

As far as size of the collection goes, without this I would have 100 games tops, It's way to expensive otherwise especially the games that I want to play or probably the everdrive route if I'm truly honest and only some cib copies of my favourite games maybe a collection of 50 games ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:03:28 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 11:58:08 am »
Reselling doubles.  Only buying games at yard sales and thrift stores.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 12:00:34 pm »
I buy most of my game used and usually wait for the prices of new games to drop really low (for example, I wanted to buy Final Fantasy XV when it came out but it was 65$, I got it a few days ago for 20$ )

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 12:45:51 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:10:41 pm by jce3000gt »