Author Topic: Do you put your game discs inside a disc wallet?  (Read 4620 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Do you put your game discs inside a disc wallet?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 12:25:50 pm »
Sacrilege.

Games are to be stored in their appropriate boxes or cases.

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 04:31:01 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:08:06 pm by jce3000gt »

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 04:48:16 pm »
^ What they said. 

HOWEVER.  I once customized a disc wallet with felt inside the sleeve and the discs over a period of 2 decades never had a scratch.  I suppose you could use thin microfiber towels to cut up instead of felt in today's world but either way you could use a disc wallet and not damage the discs.  Personally I'd rather have the full case/artwork experience.  Every time I go to swap out a disc I take a moment to take in and appreciate the artwork.   8)

what discs did you use.

I inherited a large amount of audio CDs from a family member that were all in empty generic CD jewel cases.  Didn't have room for them during that time so I needed an alternative solution.

if you only insert them discs and never use them while leaving them in there for 2 decades chances are that damage is pretty minimal or zero since you only slid them in there one time. unless ofcourse you actually used the discs quite often than I won't disagree that your right if you have a custom wallet with the right materials, I highly doubt it tough. I would never use one for my personal items period.

If you rarely use it you could even leave them with minor to no damage in a normal disc wallet. If your just going to put them in there one or maybe just a few times.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:30:18 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 05:35:50 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:07:59 pm by jce3000gt »

tripredacus

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 09:49:17 am »
Only for discs without cases or sleeves already. I have a lot this way and my main binders are console, computer games, computer software, music. Not really a "wallet" but more like a binder. I have maybe 5 of these with two of them currently empty. Have not had any damage to discs from storing them in there. Any I keep in the car are always covered from the sun. Some plastic can leech into disc artwork and get stuck to the top of the disc, but I've only had this happen with music CDs because those are the only ones that end up being taken out of the house and out of the recommended temperature range.

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 06:05:53 am »
Lol no, those things will easily cause damage to the disc over time with the constant removal and re-inserting of the discs.

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 01:49:14 am »
I have a disc binder for a couple of games I have no cases for including some demoes although after hearing some of the comments here, I may want to rethink using them which now brings me this question. Are those plastic disc holders any good? The ones that are used to stored blank CDs?

athmaus

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 10:29:14 am »
I always keep mine in their original cases.

doafan

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 12:47:05 pm »

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 06:52:19 pm »
Once upon a time, now I need them in their cases on a shelf or something.

Disc wallets rub up against the back and when you accumulate more games, they tend to put pressure on the other games from the weight.

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 05:48:18 pm »
I have a disc binder for a couple of games I have no cases for including some demoes although after hearing some of the comments here, I may want to rethink using them which now brings me this question. Are those plastic disc holders any good? The ones that are used to stored blank CDs?

there a lot better than the disc wallets. I've lost a lot of good music from the disc wallets and I live in Michigan. where it's cold in the winter, and hot in the summer. but I never lost a single CD if I put them in those think or thin jewel cases. I even lost some CD's from not putting them in cases at all due to disc rot, and I don't live in a jungle at all and nothing close.

If you want my advice then don't use wallet cases no matter where you live AND instead always put your CD's back into some kind of plastic case even if it is a half a case, but I would also recommend a full closing plastic case to be extra safe
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:50:17 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 08:53:44 pm »
I use mine as costers and frisbees

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 10:47:41 am »

there a lot better than the disc wallets. I've lost a lot of good music from the disc wallets and I live in Michigan. where it's cold in the winter, and hot in the summer. but I never lost a single CD if I put them in those think or thin jewel cases. I even lost some CD's from not putting them in cases at all due to disc rot, and I don't live in a jungle at all and nothing close.

If you want my advice then don't use wallet cases no matter where you live AND instead always put your CD's back into some kind of plastic case even if it is a half a case, but I would also recommend a full closing plastic case to be extra safe

how long did you have them stored in that manner before they started to deteriorate?

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2017, 06:19:28 am »

how long did you have them stored in that manner before they started to deteriorate?

I got some CD's as a gift being left in a car (for I don't know how long.)
But some of the CD's were damaged in the wallet even before I touched them and when they were originally stored in a car,  due to disk rot.

and right when I moved into a basement setting they all rotted within a year in the wallet in my basement. when I opened the wallet the CD's were all sticky and the top layer peeled off upon removal.

In fact it is safer to leave you CD's out then to permanently store them in a CD wallet.  although I managed to keep some of my CD's in a small wallet for over 10 years and no problem until I moved them into a basement setting
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:27:39 am by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

sworddude

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 07:00:42 am »
Well well I see why people always complain about disc rot  ::)

Keeping discs in a car with major chances of temperature being very hot or very cold is a big no no, jewel case disc wallet or anything really,  If you were to keep some of your older sega cd based games and even ps2 games in there for a longer time you can say goodbey to those games and hello to disc rot  8)

Also not to mention people who buy games at fleamarkets, people want to get rid of their stuff so maybe it was stored in a cold or very hot place etc for quite some time. It's kinda expected that you will find some disc rot, people wanted to get rid of them games and treated them games like trash anyways.

If you were just to keep your discs in a normal enviroment disc rot should not be a problem at all.

Basements and garages aren't always the best places to store discs unless it has been made well wich usually they are not since it costs some nice money. Better than a car though way better.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:38:43 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!