Author Topic: VG Collect's 1st Annual Video Game Awards 2017 (Vote Your Favorites)  (Read 2746 times)

Welcome everyone to the 1st Annual VG Collect Video Game Awards for 2017!!! Winners chosen by YOU!!  :)

Hello everyone, My name is MarvelVsCapcom2 and I am honored to be your host this evening on such a prestigious night and gathering with all of you prestigious folk :).  Today is the most anticipated night in video games.  It is the Oscars of gaming.  The emmys of thumb stick slinging and the grammys of the video game universe :D.  A night where coders, basement dwellers, 8 bit lovers, batman tight whitie wearers, professors, casuals, PC master race members, flame war starters, trolls, meme war lovers and PewDiePie subscribers all come together to converse in one giant supernova of console fanboyism and the love for everything video games!! 

(Miyamoto was promised punch but declined the offer sadly :( )

Today we will go over the good, the bad and the incredible of the year 2017 as we count down and discuss the best the console wars have to offer. From consoles, to games, to Zelda because yeah... Zelda.  And everything in between.  The best will shine and they rely their votes and their faith to YOU!!! :)

We have a lovely night ahead of us, so kick back, grab a snack, get your voting fingers ready because we are going to announce the nominees for each of these beloved and cultural categories that we all know and love.  :D

(If you do not see a nominee that fits your specific taste feel free to use our award show specific and illegally pattented OTHER option and put any game you like. Aside from Need for Speed Payback and Mass Effect andromeda....  Eww.   EA?...  Eww.....)   :)

Console of the Year

Oh yes, the classic steve harvey award show joke, luckily he isn't here to tell us how the Raspberry Pi is the best console of 2017 amirite?  ;D  Wait.... is it?  No wait....  the card's lying.  I'll be back

With that said, this category is for the consoles that went above and beyond for the next gen powerhouses, implimenting both 4k and virtual reality, high dynamic ranger or just the hybrid of portability and gameplay we all know and love.  Libraries, power, convenience. :D. These are your nominees for video game console of the year

*Imagine dragons plays in the distance*  8)

Nintendo Switch

Xbox One X

Super Nintendo Classic Edition

PS4 Pro

New 2DS XL

From the spec beast One X running 4k Native, to the furocious come back story from Nintendo whos only competition for game of the year is itself and a retro revision that has tooken the world by storm.   Round of applause for the console of the year candidates.  Remember you're VOTE counts :)

Racing Game Of The Year

What a lovely night, some how Trump tweeted about this event. His words being "Believe me, I will build a better gaming award show, and i'll make Soera pay for it. That I promise."  :).      But next up we have a category that is near and dear to all of our hearts.  The racing game genre.  Smell the tar, be one with the rubber.  Burning tires, racing around corners, being just an all around speed demon.  This is the category for you :)

Forza Motorsport 7

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Project Cars 2

F1 2017

Gran Turismo Sport

First Person Shooter of the Year

Next we have the most underdone genre in video games, we sure could use more of these. I haven't seen one let alone played a FPS in years. Simply died with the times :).    But in all seriousness, these fast trigger reflex, online shoot-a-thons and amazing war stories have captivated our hearts for years to come.  Here are your picks for FPS of the year

Wolfenstein II: New Colossus

Call of Duty WWII

Doom (Switch)

Destiny 2

Prey

Side Scroller of the Year.

A 30 year old formula on 30 day old hardware.  Power meets nostalgia, sideways can often beat vertical.  You bet your butt it can :).  These are the games that take the retro side scroller flare and combine it with the modern vision of game devs in 2017.  Your nominees for Side Scroller of the year

Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)

Cup Head

Sonic Mania

Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition

Turn Based RPG of the Year

Next we have the genre we all know and love, the iconic and well aged genre that engages you in thickening plot, immersive battle systems and deep story lines. These are the picks for the hardcore RPG lovers and casual entry levels fans alike. The turn based RPG of the year nominees :)

South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon

Mario + Rabbids

Mario + Luigi SuperStar Saga + Bowser Minions

3D Open World Platformer of the Year (Let's Pretend Mario has Competition)

The year of Jumpy Boi vs the world. A hat swinging adventure versus a world of valiant efforts and epic remakes of the past.  Here are the honorable nominees

Super Mario Odyssey

Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy

Yooka-Laylee

Bubsy The Whoolies Strike Back

Action Adventure/Action RPG game of the Year

Oh yeah, it's show time fellas, the most competitive and densely populated genre in gaming comes back with titans of the industry.  Who can be the victor? Only you can decide....   :)   Nominees for best Action/Open World RPG are the following

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Assassins Creed Origins

Horizon Zero Dawn

Final Fantasy XV (2016 release but Late 2016)

Watchdogs 2

Sports Game Of the Year

Two of the most passionate hobbies collide with Gaming and Sports fans becoming every bit as passionate about thier favorite title as their favorite team. Beer Pong meets Joy Cons and it's a rowdy and fun time for these cheese hat wearing barbequing sports loving gamers! :D  These are the top of the line in the sports genre :)

NBA 2K18

Mario Superstars

Madden NFL 18

MLB The Show 17

Fifa 18

Amiibo of the Year

Scientific studies by Harvard nuerologists have confirmed that collecting amiibo figures gives the same stimuli to the brain as cocaine or other drugs. In sense becoming an addictive obsession taking the video game world over.  9/10 people say I made that fact up. 9/10 may be right :).   here are the picks for best amiibo of the year

Metroid and Samus

Zelda Champions 4 Pack

Mario Wedding 3 Pack

BOTW Base Amiibos

Developer of the Year Award

The behind the scenes puppet masters who craft our childhoods each and every year.  All of whom we owe removing our hat for :).  Here are the picks for best developers

Nintendo

Ubisoft

3rd Person Shooter of the Year

The genre of splatting blood... or ink in amazing 3rd person fun shooters that ad diversity to killing things or just making a big fun inky, splatted mess of everything you see.  The improvising and unique 3rd person shooter nominees. :)

Splatoon 2

Resident Evil 7

The evil Within 2

Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Wild Lands

Watchdogs 2

2017 VIDEO GAME OF THE YEAR!!

The moment has arrived everyone of the vg collect universe :D :D, all of those who are asleep from the stale monologue and recycled Jay Leno jokes please wake up because you wont want to miss this category. The smell of the raspberry slush you overpaid 3 dollars for at the concession lingers along as the crowd huddles to hear the final winner.  But only YOU can decide who truly wins :D.  The democracy voted on by the people.  So who's it gonna be.  Here they all come eager for your approval.  Now we bring the one and only best of the best line up gaming has to offer.  Games so good that the virgin mary herself would be proud to pick up the sticks and have a session.  The Jump man adventures, the ganon slayers, the retro flare, the unique new comers.  The gold tier of gaming this year.   Please vote and have fun :)

Mario Odyssey

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Cup Head

Assassins Creed Origins

Forza Motorsport 7

Horizon Zero Dawn

And with the final glimmer in the winners plasticy soul as it gets confetti shot onto it's cold shiny case and as we all worship around it as an inanimate object we all can clammer on about it's magnificence in the history of gaming and our love for it.  Oh winner, we love you. Thank you for yet another amazing year of gaming.  I look forward to joining you all next year for the quick scopes, rage quits, 8 bits, classic edition of a classic edition and the Nintendo shenanigans we all have come to dedicate a moderately sized protion of our lives to :).  Remember to vote below and enjoy your happy holidays.  It was an amazing night with you all.    Thank you.    *Bows....   -  MarvelVsCapcom2

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:03:00 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

Re: VG Collect's 1st Annual Video Game Awards 2017 (Vote Your Favorites)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 05:55:55 pm »
Just pointing out that Resident Evil 7 is in the wrong spot.  It's a first person shooter, not third person.

azure

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 07:04:18 pm »
>Action Adventure/Action RPG game of the Year
> No Yakuza 0 option

I can't participate in the voting, sorry.

indenton

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:12:42 pm »
Echoing Azure's sentiments, No NieR: Automata option??

I can't participate in the voting, sorry

hexen

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 07:33:02 pm »
I appreciate the effort to do all this, though I probably would have taken a step further to size everything reasonably in photoshop.

Console: Switch
It actually has some kind of innovation and isn't just a crappy PC 15% better then the previous crappy PCs.

Racing: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
I don't even like Mario Kart 8 relative to other Mario Karts, but it sure is better then realistic racing snoozefest #536.

Shooter: Doom
I haven't played any of these, but when has that ever stopped a game journalist? Doom interests me the most, but I hear it's kind of shit on the Switch... sucks, man.

Side Scroller: Cuphead
Is this even the right category...? Ah, who cares, Cuphead is basically the best thing ever. Props to Sonic Mania... but if you didn't wanna lose to Cuphead in the prestigious MvC2 competition you should have come out a different year.

RPG: Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon
Haven't played the others... know enough about them. Hard to dethrone Pokemon even in cashgrab semi-demi-sequel mode.

3D Platformer: Mario Odyssey
Obviously. However, unlike most I liked Yooka-Laylee a lot and the Crash Trilogy is amazing and timeless. Odyssey is still better then either. Hat in Time was not what I ended up wanting, but you could throw it a bone mention here I think.

3D Action/Adventure: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Obviously. I'd probably enjoy Horizon: Zero Dawn... but lol PS4 and lol inappropriate agenda pushing (in crappy journalism, at least).

Sports: Mario, whatever.

I don't play sports games but the Mario series at least makes them more bearable.

Amiibo: BOTW Base
I like that squishy Metroid, but I like giant bendy legs guardian more.

Developer: Nintendo

I'd get on you for not including more but lol 2017... ain't nobody surpassing Nintendo. Studio MDHR has a lot of potential for an indie.

3rd Person Shooter: I dunno.
I've never played any and don't even know enough about them. Splatoon & Resident Evil (erroneously placed or not) interest me most.

Game of the Year: HNNNNNNNGGGGGGG...

Instead of just being a jokey boy I actually have a lot of trouble. Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Cuphead all surpass yearly lists for me and go into some of my favorite games overall. I wanna put Cuphead on the bottom just because of length, but it's so damn unique and brilliant! BOTW was amazing, but doesn't surpass Elder Scrolls or Fallout style just because of the else RPG focus, but I still sunk 100 hours into the damn thing. Mario Odyssey on the other hand is pretty much the paragon of it's style. I guess I gotta go with...

Game of the Year: Mario Odyssey

>Action Adventure/Action RPG game of the Year
> No Yakuza 0 option

I can't participate in the voting, sorry.

Echoing Azure's sentiments, No NieR: Automata option??

I can't participate in the voting, sorry

C'mon fam, this isn't no serious board certified highly regulated thing. Just slip your favorite games in where they belong! Just accept the fact that if they compete in the categories against Mario, Zelda or Cuphead your opinion is wrong.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:37:49 pm by hexen »
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

kashell

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 07:40:44 am »
Too busy for me. All of those images got me like O.o

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 08:20:43 am »
Images are all too random sized... also echoing a lot of other folks sentiments about incorrect categories and missing entries.

Also, not voting.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 10:25:24 am »
Marv, I appreciate your effort.  I'll take time to vote.

Console
Switch  It was actually a new console.

Racing
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe  I'm not a racing fan.  This is the only one that appealed to me.

Shooter
Doom   I haven't played any of these, but I'll throw my vote to Doom

Side Scroller
Cuphead   I love the 30's cartoon visuals and brutal 2D action

RPG
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle   Holy cow!  This one caught me off guard.  I'm digging this game a lot.  It's not easy for me since it takes a lot of thought and planning, but it's a fantastic game that is a lot of fun.

3D Platformer
Super Mario Odyssey    There's not a whole lot of competition here.  I'm so amped to play this one.  I haven't had a great Mario game in a while.  I hate that I have it put up for the boy for Christmas

3D Action/Adventure
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild   This was a great game.  I loved it.  It took a minute to get used to, but it just feels epic!

Sports
NBA 2K18  I haven't played a sports game this year, but I'll give NBA 2K18 my support

Amiibo
Metroid and Samus   Let's give it up for the Squishy Metroid!  It was just way too cool looking for me to pass up.  (Runner Up goes to the Mario Wedding)

Developer
Nintendo    This was the year of Nintendo.  What a time it's been. 

3rd Person Shooter
Splattoon 2    I haven't played any of these.  So by default, Nintendo gets my vote.

Game of the Year

Super Mario Odyssey    Even though I haven't played it yet, Mario gets my vote.  I've heard good things and I'm ready to give it a go.

athmaus

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 10:44:09 am »
Here you go:

Console
Switch

Racing
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Shooter
N/A - Didnt play any of the games listed above

Side Scroller
Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition

RPG
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

3D Platformer
Super Mario Odyssey - great game, only 300 moons left for me to get

3D Action/Adventure
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - wonderful game (i did love Horizon Dawn Zero though)

Sports
Madden 2018 - only game i have played on this list

Amiibo
BOTW Base Amiibos - realyl like these, second is the Champions

Developer
Nintendo   

3rd Person Shooter
Splattoon 2

Game of the Year
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - hands down!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 01:32:16 pm »
Carving out my spot but I’ll be updating this post repeatedly from my cell phone with dodgy coverage in the DR.

Best console
Xbox One X. Bringing true 4k gaming to the masses. Enhanced backward compatibility across 3.5 generations of consoles. Full 4k UHD Blu ray media support. And 50+ Enhanced titles out of the gate. This is the definitive platform for multi-plat releases.

Best Racing Game
Forza 7 Xbox One X - 4k, 60fps. No contest.

Best FPS
Wolfenstein II Xbox One X

Best side scroller
Cuphead Xbox One. Nintendo hard with graphics from the steam boat willie days. This game breathes new life into the platformer/shmup genre with a entry price that doesn’t break the bank.

Best Developer
Screaming Villians. A one man dev shop did what many believed to be impossible and delivered a 25th Anniversary Edition of Night Trap available in both Physical and Digital Editions using higher resolution source material, complete with restored deleted scenes, a brand new documentary, and a fully playable version of the prototype Scene of the Crime as an unlockable Easter egg.

Game of the Year
Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One X

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:41:19 pm by dashv »

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 06:05:45 pm »
Breath of the Wild is without a doubt the game of the year.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:31:27 pm »
Overall I thought this was a great idea so here we go.

Console

NINTENDO SWICH

Racing

FORZA 7

First person shooter

WOLFENSTEIN II

Sidescroller

METROID RETURN OF SAMUS (only one out of all of them i actually played)

Turn base rpg

DISGAEA 5 COMPLETE (released on switch 2017 without a doubt best turn base rpg try it if you dont believe me)

3d openworld platformer

SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY

Action/adventure

ZELDA BOTW

Sports

MADDEN 18 (haven't played any just picked randomly)

Amiibo of the year

BOTW BASE

Developer of the year

NINTENDO

3rd person shooter

SPLATOON 2

2017 game of the year

SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (wanted to elect disgaea 5 but dam that mario is awesome)

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 10:06:06 pm »
Console of the Year - Nintendo Switch - It's clear the Switch was launched too early just to get it out before the holidays, lacking most of the basic features it should have, but even then, it's an awesome piece of hardware.  It's so handy having portability when I need it.

Racing Game of the Year - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Only going by what's available, I would say Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, just because it's the only one I have played, but normally a port shouldn't count lol

First Person Shoot of the Year - Resident Evil 7 - The list hasn't been fixed yet, but RE7 should be with these games lol I liked Wolfenstein 2 and Prey was fine, but I thought RE7 was a fantastic return for the series.

Side Scroller of the Year - Cuphead - While Sonic Mania was good for the audio and visuals, I've come to realize I don't care for the gameplay of Sonic anymore.  I don't think it's very good and the game drove me nuts in a few levels.  Cuphead also drove me nuts, but it was such a good and fun challenge, that I really stuck with it.  Awesome art and great music too.

RPG of the Year - South Park: The Fractured But Whole - While generally I don't think the story aspect of the game is any better than the first, maybe slightly lesser, the gameplay is definitely improved and I mostly enjoyed myself.

3D Platformer of the Year - Super Mario Odyssey - I think A Hat in Time should be up there on that list and Bubsy needs to be in Side Scroller (Though it shouldn't be there at all, but it's also not a 3D platformer like the others and honestly, for the title, Crash doesn't count either lol).  But even then with including A Hat in Time, Super Mario Odyssey wins out, despite my love of A Hat in Time.

Action Adventure Game of Year - LoZ: BOTW - I really enjoyed FFXV, despite it's story problems and the development hell it went through.  Horizon I liked, despite really not liking any of the characters and some annoyances with the story, but overall a solid experience.  BOTW is a Zelda game I have issues with too, but I LOVED my time in the game.  I'll gush more later...

Sports Game of the Year - Pass

Amiibo of the Year - BOTW Base Set - Tough for me to choose between the two BOTW sets, but there's a slight edge for me with the base set, due to that awesome Guardian amiibo.

Developer of the Year - Nintendo - While there should be more available options, Nintendo nailed it this year.

Third Person Shooter of the Year - Splatoon 2 - The game should've done more to feel less like an update of the first game, but it's still really solid.

Game of the Year - Legend of Zelda: BOTW - While this game is not perfect, I loved my time in it.  I think it's lacking musically, with its bosses, dungeons, and it's villain, but despite all of that, I was hooked to the game and was just constantly being charmed by it.  It doesn't reinvent the open world genre, it's not the best open world game, but I still love it.  It also has deeper connections for me that I won't discuss, but with everything that could be said about the game, good and bad, it's my favorite Zelda of all time.

bezbot

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 06:16:52 pm »
Console: Nintendo Switch

Racing Game: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Shooter: DOOM

Side Scroller: Sonic Mania

Turn-BasedRPG: Mario + Rabbids Kindgom Battle

3D Platformer: Super Mario Odyssey

Action RPG: Breath of the Wild

Amiibo: BOTW Base Amiibo

Developer: Nintendo

3D Shooter: Splatoon 2

Game of the Year: Breath of the Wild