Author Topic: Are you sold on 4k or are you still waiting on it?  (Read 3287 times)

Are you sold on 4k or are you still waiting on it?
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:12:30 pm »
Hello everyone :), with all the talk of HDR and 4K, and especially with One X and PS4 Pro whispering it in your ear at every corner with the beautiful visuals and the e3 presentations... Have you caved in and gone 4k yet? :D.   It seems like consoles are tailoring their games to it's resolution and I'm a little sad because I feel like my 1080P TV isn't getting the best Forza 7 has to offer. :/

Every time a new TV resolution or upgrade occurs it's always after I had just bought the last cool TV trend, Only recently I had just got a 1080P Smart TV and now history has repeated itself yet again and old prophecies have revived into fruition as the wind howls and ancient scribes interlock to complete yet another chapter in the tradition of TVs upgrading far faster than I can afford :(.  As 4k has become the new standard :), the bright, crisp, and powerful consoles running 4k games. It's so beautiful. and ive already been called a mediocre piece of trash for not owning one.  The ads make it seem that you are to be held in high disdain by your peers for not having the proper pixel density the beautiful games of today require.  The TV game is full of such passionate and judgemental folk.  Even more so than gaming and I feel I can't keep up :(.   And the ads make you feel like you're not getting the full experience of games without the better sets.  And they are probably right.  I want to enjoy Forza 7 but not as a shell of a man.

Has anyone else suffered from this tide change?  Maybe I am just bad at timing the tides of when it changes. :(
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:31:26 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

shfan

Re: Are you sold on 4k or are you still waiting on it?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:39:00 pm »
SHFan: *Opens box* "What are you, 4K?"
4K: "Gimme hundreds of pounds!"
SHFan: *Closes box*

No idea what it is even, presumably it's some new fangled display standard.. when it's 'the' standard and I'm upgrading a telly then I'll consider it, till then it's just another fad like that 3D nonsense and 'VR'.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 04:01:02 pm »
Do I want it? Hell yeah! Do I want to pay for it? Not so much.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:33:54 pm »
4k is very pretty, but I see no reason to get into it yet.  Needs to get nice and cheap before then and there's really no rush for it right now.  The PS4 Pro doesn't even do proper 4k gaming I believe, it's more of an inbetween release, compared to the Xbox One X which is supposed to do proper 4k gaming.

azure

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:00:57 pm »
I think waiting is the best option for a cheapo like me. None of the games I really enjoy even tend to run in 4k or anything so no real reason for me to strive for it just yet. HDR is really nice, I see that as more of a benefit right now.

bezbot

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 06:10:40 pm »
I'm waiting on it because I will need to buy new game systems that support it and a 4K TV. And I'd rather be spending it on games and things that I play a lot like the Nintendo Switch don't even have an option. So right now I don't see a point and I probably won't get one for years and years until it's mainstream and a lot cheaper, just like with HD TVs.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 08:27:30 pm »
I don't see it as a need right now, maybe when Nintendo switched over to 4k i'll pickup a new tv, but my 1080p tv works fine with everything on the market gaming wise atm, and im nto sold on 4k movies so i'll pass till im forced to upgrade. xD

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 08:30:37 pm »
I got a 4k tv last year in December, 55" LG off Newegg for around $700 or $800. I needed to replace the dying old Plasma I inherited from my folks so it worked out. Its great, love the picture quality, its not an OLED but still looks incredible with HDR. I have a ps4 pro as well and to me the difference is pretty impressive.

kashell

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 09:04:16 am »
I won't a team-4ker until it's super cheap.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 09:10:06 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:06:40 pm by jce3000gt »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 09:57:07 am »
I stream all of my tv.  In reality, I most steaming content is only 720 anyway. 

I have a 55" 4K UHD, but it's kind of a waste.  I only got it because it was a black friday sale last year.  I think I paid $250 for it.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 10:03:01 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:06:02 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 10:10:58 am »
4K is cool, but until the prices on them come down a lot I am good. I have two 1080p 240hz Samsungs that I love and until one of them dies I am totally content with them.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 11:06:15 am »
I stream all of my tv.  In reality, I most steaming content is only 720 anyway.

FYI, XBOX One S and PS4 Pro can stream Netflix, etc in 4K.

Most of my tv isn't exactly on the up and up.   ;)

tripredacus

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 11:31:47 am »
I will get a 4k display once I get something that requires it.