Author Topic: Chrono Trigger vs Final Fantasy VI (III). Which is the better SNES RPG?  (Read 1937 times)

The age old question passed down through generations! :D.  Two of the single greatest turn based RPGs ever fathomed from the same console and gen that graced the gaming world going at it in terms of gameplay, bosses, story, plot, music and graphics.  To determine what RPG is worthy of it's rep and praise more?

Which of these two amazing games do you feel gets the edge? :)

For me it's Final Fantasy just barely because of it's orgasmic soundtrack.  I could sit there and listen to it's soundtrack on loop.  It's truly a orchestral masterpiece.  It's some of the best music not only SNES but video games have to offer.   I think the system, and bosses are so close that the music decided it for me as I like FFIII (VI)'s music slightly better. :)

Which 16 bit Giant would you pick if having to pick between the two?

telly

Re: Chrono Trigger vs Final Fantasy VI (III). Which is the better SNES RPG?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 08:52:52 pm »
I think Chrono Trigger has a better soundtrack to be honest. I really tried to like FFVI, but for some reason it was not an RPG that captured me. Didn't really enjoy it.

Also https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,7196
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:55:13 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

thewelshman

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 09:20:25 pm »
I want to go with Final Fantasy 6 since its the reason I love RPGs the way I do. Not to mention that I play it several times a year. However, Chrono Trigger is the first game I anticipated, saved money for, and felt raw emotions for the characters. Having a time machine to change certain events, save lives, and chance some for a better future.

So, as of today...Chrono Trigger.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 09:51:26 pm »
Chrono Trigger

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 11:36:12 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:05:51 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 04:49:26 am »
Chrono Trigger.

I've done multiple 100% playthroughs of it; can't say the same for Final Fantasy VI.

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 12:04:39 pm »
I'm not a hardcore rpg guy so I have to say chrono trigger

However If I might guess more hardcore rpg lovers would tend to go for FF VI and not chrono trigger pretty easily.

Gameplay has more variety options so many classes, more exploration points harder difficulty.

in terms of gameplay allot more to do way more than chrono trigger wich looks big but is small in comparison.

For the more casual person yes chrono trigger has more flashy 2d sprite visuals while FF VI wich looks way less impressive however has more thanks to It's gameplay, but those flasy 2D sprites and simple gameplay attract also casuals, it is a great game one of those few rpg's (skies of arcadia) that also Is fun for people who are not into the rpg genre that much with great stories, You would never be able to achieve that with a game like FF VI. That's definitely quality if a game can do that.

Soundtrack is kinda comparible grapics in favor of chrono trigger however this is mainly thanks to It's gameplay wich makes these 2D sprites more suitable than a bigger game like FF VI.

It might be argued that FF VI has a better story however again thanks to the flashy visual wich look really excellent the simple gameplay etc etc you could more easily get into the story than FF VI in my opinion

Not a fan of FF VI I find FF VII allot better.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:14:14 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 02:09:53 pm »
Chrono Trigger.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 07:35:34 pm »
Chrono Trigger. Unique JRPG, for sure. And one of the coolest soundtracks and storylines of any JRPG.

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 11:02:13 pm »
Chrono Trigger. No comparison.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

hexen

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 09:05:54 am »
MvC2, you dastardly bastard. That's like asking me to choose either water or air. I think I'd have to give the edge to FFVI, but we are talking a 1% margin here.

One thing FFVI has over Chrono Trigger for sure is the soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, I love Chrono's OST which has a lot of catchy tunes. FFVI's however has one of the most emotionally charged soundtracks I can think of. Celes' Theme, Terra's Theme, Forever Rachel, Searching for Friends... the list goes on with so brilliant mood setting tunes. The more I think about it the game just has so much more emotional resonance in it's story which I am likely associating with the music.

Chrono Trigger has a more original story overall, but FFVI has a much more personal, character-driven one. Chrono for sure has this too (Post-Lavos future, Frog & Magus, etc.) but in FFVI you get this kind of thing from nearly every character. That is my preference in story telling, I guess.

I like FFVI's combat more overall as well. Chrono's combos are cool. but all the characters of FFVI having unique abilities that vary wildly as well as being able to customize them with the magicite later down the line makes it come out on top. Both games are an embarrassment of riches in content so it makes me feel like a bit of a dick FFVI has slightly more. Of course, Chrono's multiple endings do well in making up for this.

Overall, both are exceptional games but FFVI is an exceptional game+. We're talking a 95 A vs. a 97 A+ here, so not that much more but just a pinch of extra spice.

---
Also... unrelated thing that's bothered me for years...
I swear there was a time you fought Lavos while the main Chrono Trigger theme played but I can't find any video of that... did I just make that up out of faulty memory...?
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

kashell

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 12:22:30 pm »
Also... unrelated thing that's bothered me for years...
I swear there was a time you fought Lavos while the main Chrono Trigger theme played but I can't find any video of that... did I just make that up out of faulty memory...?

*spoilers below*

One of the final boss themes has snippets of Chrono Trigger's main theme in it. I believe it's when you fight his second form. It's been a while since I played it.

In a regular game, the first time you fight Lavos is in the Ocean Palace. The music that plays during that time is the standard Lavos theme.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 04:06:59 pm »
Chrono Trigger by default as I've never actually played FFVI lol

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 07:40:02 am »
I have to go with FFVI.
It’s my favorite RPG ever, it captured me like no other RPG ever has. I’ve played through it many times, and I love collecting all the characters and exploring their backstory-revealing sidequests.  The music is in my top 5 soundtracks ever; it’s just filled with amazing, memorable tunes, and I love the individual character themes and how they’re woven into multiple cues, like a John Williams Star Wars score. There’s so many emotional, somber moments.

Of course, that’s not to say Chrono Trigger is bad, I enjoyed it as well. It just didn’t grab onto me like FFVI.

Besides, Chrono Cross is better. Please don’t kill me  ;D

shfan

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 03:09:00 pm »
Chrono Trigger, it's one of my all time favourite RPGs and TBH FFVI left me totally cold.