Author Topic: Do you buy or keep your retro consoles with the box?  (Read 1978 times)

dreama1

Do you buy or keep your retro consoles with the box?
« on: November 28, 2017, 09:15:32 am »
Do you buy or keep your retro consoles with the box? or just the console without the box?

Re: Do you buy or keep your retro consoles with the box?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:20:30 am »
The only consules I have boxed are a slim ps2 a ds lite and 2 wiis.  Nothing retro but I do keep them in the boxes

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:42:06 am »
Not currently, no. The only retro console I have is the Retron 5 and while it is not currently hooked up, it is not with the box.

My other consoles I keep in those box (or case) when they are not hooked up, if I have the box for them.

thewelshman

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 09:53:56 am »
Sadly, no. I own my PS3, PS4, 360, Xbox1, and Vita boxes, but nothing older than that. I didn't think to keep my SNES, Genesis, PS1, or PS2 boxes since I was young and actually played the games and not horded them, lol.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 10:15:16 am »
I prefer to have the box whenever possible, however with retro consoles obtaining a box for them is a lot easier said than done and can get really expensive depending on the box. About a year ago I had the good fortune of being at a retro gaming store that was planning on tossing a bunch of old console boxes they'd been accumulating for like a decade. Got some really good ones out of it as well as a cool PS1 rental case.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:19:30 pm »
NOPE!

While I do appreciate the folks who keep their boxes for the historic value, since my systems are always set up for use it really just amounts to so much random cardboard and Styrofoam.

I have kept the boxes for the systems I've acquired new since the PS2 days, but I'm not particularly attached to them- the day an empty PS2 box has value for people attempting to assemble a CIB set, it is absolutely for sale!

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 12:34:28 pm »
For my hand-me-down consoles, I don't have the boxes, but we do still have a few boxes around: Dreamcast (from a thrift store), pretty much all my handhelds since I bought them myself, Xbox 360, and I'm assuming the bf kept his PS4 boxes. Having the boxes makes it sooo much easier to pack things away when they're not being used. I'd hate to have my many 3DSes banging around unboxed.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 12:58:14 pm »
I don't keep them in the box, for storage reasons. I keep boxes in the knee walls, and I'd be afraid to leave my consoles in there because it's not heated and there's a risk of the furnace pipes in there rupturing like they did once, and ruining a bunch of stuff.

There are a few consoles I do need to get a box for. NES, model 1 SNES, N64, and Saturn I have no boxes for sadly.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 01:00:58 pm »
If they have a box with them i'll never separate them. Only a satanist would do such a thing as taking a innocent console away from it's loving mother box :)

But most of my consoles are loose without boxes, I don't seek boxes for every console I have even though I like them alot.  Boxes take up so much space but they are really awesome.  I do want to seek out an SNES and NES boxes.  The only console boxes I have are for all the new consoles I buy like PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS.  I display those boxes :D.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 01:12:05 pm »
I kept a few of my flashback console boxes and I just recently acquired a Nintendo Wii CIB but that is all. Boxes are indeed a waste of space in my opinion, and who needs the fire hazard. My room is cramped enough with a lot of my video games in boxes. I don't have barely any shelving units so most of my video games exist within deep cardboard boxes.
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

azure

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 04:55:24 pm »
I prefer to have my consoles boxed, but there are a few I don't have the boxes for. Mostly my original consoles I've had since release.

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 06:07:48 pm »
I always try to get cib in excellent upwards condition. I don't do this for history reasons like some here apparently  :o but just for the simple fact that some boxes look nice. I will not get all box variations but I try to get nice looking ones pack bundles of games wich have nice looking box art. but I'm also ok with normal edition boxes for allot of consoles.

I have pretty much all my consoles hooked up on multiple screens some spare ones of the main systems however my spare consoles and handhelds are also stored seperately nicely in box though, the boxes can be sturdy but it still is cardboard, just imagine stacking the boxes up with heavy consoles inside them or worse with empty box on the bottom while heavy ones with a console stacked on top, I highly doubt boxes would stay nice that way quite a waste if you have excellent console boxes or special editions. but if only the styro foam and inserts and manuals are in there not that much damage can be done.

Not to mention if you would leave them consoles in the boxes it is an absolute pain to get them in and out of the box especially with the styro foam or those shitty cardboard inserts. It's quite a hassle I'm pretty sure other people can imagine what I am talking about with pretty much every tv console.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:20:51 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

stealthrush

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 11:34:10 pm »
The last new system I've bought was Nintendo DS Lite which I kept the box, as for systems I grew up with my parents threw the boxes away. Various systems onward I've bought used without a box.

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 06:21:18 am »
I try to get consoles with boxes, I have trouble getting rid of boxes in general. I just got a new PC headset, and decided to keep the box, found my mouse box too haha. Consoles though, yes, I try to buy them with the boxes, I typically have multiple consoles though, keep one in the box other, more beat-up ones, I use to play and have hooked up.

ferraroso

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 07:45:51 am »
I really like having the console boxes whenever it is financially possible, but since I like having them ready at hand to play, I never keep them in the boxes. And this is something I've been doing since my childhood in the 80's.
I always like to keep the boxes for accessories (like controllers) whenever I can and, if the item is special in some way, I will even keep the receipt.

I'm missing the boxes for around one third of the consoles that I own, but I am always trying to find them (if the price is reasonable).