Author Topic: Kickstarter craze  (Read 11221 times)

jcalder8

Re: Kickstarter craze
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2012, 07:40:06 pm »
I am considering getting one but I can't help but think they won't be popular enough for many games to be made for it so it may be a waste of money.

jobocan

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 08:22:10 pm »
I am considering getting one but I can't help but think they won't be popular enough for many games to be made for it so it may be a waste of money.

I don't have doubts about the popularity of the hardware... just look at the kickstarter :P
I think there's an issue with the "everything is free-to-play" concept of the whole console... by my estimation, it won't be profitable for almost anyone to make games for this. Let alone the fact that the people making the console are encouraging people to hack it... Which means people will be getting the games for even free-er(?) than they already are... I don't see this really working out for developers in the long run.

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 03:35:13 pm »

I don't have doubts about the popularity of the hardware... just look at the kickstarter :P
I think there's an issue with the "everything is free-to-play" concept of the whole console... by my estimation, it won't be profitable for almost anyone to make games for this. Let alone the fact that the people making the console are encouraging people to hack it... Which means people will be getting the games for even free-er(?) than they already are... I don't see this really working out for developers in the long run.

Not everything will be free, they are just encourage it to be and back the demo/trial model. They spoke of pricing models for developers and their cut of the profits.

scott

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2012, 10:41:39 am »
Not a video gaming Kickstarter project, but I think it's worth mentioning:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min

Reaper Miniatures started a new line of reasonably priced minis made of a special plastic, they are calling Bones. They launched the new line in March and have slowly been adding to it, but want to build it faster than normal and put it up to kickstarter to help fund it. They've already hit the 30k funding mark and blew passed 50k on the first two days.

I backed it, since I've been buying most of my gaming minis from them for over 10 years. And would love to see them build this line. (It also helps that I'll end up with over 70 new minis by the time it's all done).
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2012, 02:52:27 pm »
Not a video gaming Kickstarter project, but I think it's worth mentioning:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min

Reaper Miniatures started a new line of reasonably priced minis made of a special plastic, they are calling Bones. They launched the new line in March and have slowly been adding to it, but want to build it faster than normal and put it up to kickstarter to help fund it. They've already hit the 30k funding mark and blew passed 50k on the first two days.

I backed it, since I've been buying most of my gaming minis from them for over 10 years. And would love to see them build this line. (It also helps that I'll end up with over 70 new minis by the time it's all done).
I'm not into miniatures but some of these look really cool and some of the package deals they are offering are fairly impressive.

jobocan

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2012, 02:54:48 pm »
I just backed "Volgarr the Viking", a PC indie game that's apparently a mix between Rastan, Castlevania and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts... Sounds badass :P

scott

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2012, 03:51:41 pm »
I'm not into miniatures but some of these look really cool and some of the package deals they are offering are fairly impressive.

Ya, I figured most folks wouldn't be interested. But figured I'd post it up for the chance there might be some tabletop gamers out here.

jobocan

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:19 pm »
Here's one that may interest some of you!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/343248998/cheetahmen-ii-the-lost-levels

It's an enhanced edition of Cheetahmen II (without the game-breaking bugs, amongst other things), produced by the biggest Active Entreprises collector in the world (and also the owner of cheetahmengames.com, where you can buy "Cheetahmen: The Creation", which is a "beta" version of Cheetahmen... basically just other games from Action 52 but with Cheetahmen).

jobocan

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 12:04:57 am »
Well I've uncovered something interesting here... This kickstarter isn't technically legal... The guy starting it up does own whatever remains of Active Entreprises and their licenses, which would make it legal... except for one particular thing: he doesn't own Cheetahmen, someone else got those rights over 2 years ago. So he's not technically allowed to make this reproduction and sell it at all. Clearly that's the case for most reproductions... but this is a case of a rich guy using a license he doesn't own to make more money.
He lives in a mansion (seriously), but he claims he needs people to give him 65000$ to make the reproduction (which is false, just look at Battle Kid), and that it's gonna take a lot of effort to fix the game (also false, people did it pretty easily 5 years ago with a quick romhack so he's probably just selling that romhack other people worked on). This project stinks of shady and wrong.

These guys here actually own the Cheetahmen license: http://suckerfreegames.com/home.php ... Here's proof of that.

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 03:50:29 pm »
My brother just supported the Cheetahmen II: The Lost Levels Kickstarter. $60 for the game, and he intends on never playing it. I can't say I blame him though.

desocietas

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 05:39:12 pm »
My brother just supported the Cheetahmen II: The Lost Levels Kickstarter. $60 for the game, and he intends on never playing it. I can't say I blame him though.

Uh oh, consider what was in that last post, I'd say maybe you should suggest to him to take his pledge back.

Also, WHY IS EVERYTHING IN THAT KICKSTARTER PAGE WRITTEN IN CAPS?

Netiquette, people!  Sheesh.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2012, 08:46:13 pm »
Ha ya I would revoke my pledge too. That sounds all kinds of shady.

scott

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 10:51:11 pm »
9 days left and Reaper's gathered 500k worth of pledges so far, and they keep adding in more stretch goals! The best part about it is, the goals are JUST to con us all out of more money. But they are all going toward getting the new minis in them produced. Pretty sweet.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2012, 10:56:07 am »
Haven't yet participated in any Kickstarters...call it the skeptic in me, I guess :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2012, 12:47:14 pm »
Haven't yet participated in any Kickstarters...call it the skeptic in me, I guess :P

I don't blame you.  It's kind of a bad spiral if you get into it.  I don't even know how many Kickstarters I've backed... *goes to check* 33 projects.

Seems to be lot of diff types of KS folks: some who give money generously to everything, some who only give to things they feel very strongly about, and then there are the diff levels of backers and the varying levels of involvement they want with the project.

I personally don't have time to get too involved in the project; I don't see how people can hound these startups as much as they do they may have only invested something like $5.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas