Author Topic: Which PS4 Should I buy?  (Read 1499 times)

telly

Which PS4 Should I buy?
« on: December 10, 2017, 11:46:54 am »
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out which PS4 would be the best for me to buy both in anticipation of Ace Combat 7 and the few games I already have for it that I'm itching to play. Personally, the graphics, 4K support, and price are not things that I really feel one way or another about. What I'm most concerned about is reliability. I'd like to only need to buy the console once.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

Re: Which PS4 Should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 12:14:51 pm »
I have the regular PS4 and I haven't encountered any issues. It's been very reliable.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 01:16:39 pm »
I have the regular PS4 and I haven't encountered any issues. It's been very reliable.

Same!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 02:36:07 pm »
If it's reliability you seek, I'd purchase the slim model. It has actual buttons and it's smaller than a launch PS4.

We have both models here in the house and I can say for sure that the slim is better.

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 03:48:38 pm »
I've got the slim and it is extremely reliable. Used to have the original model and it worked great also but occasionally would get really hot and could hear the fans. I think the original model isn't in production anymore so it'd probably be easier to get the slim. As for the 4k version, I don't know, I've never used it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 03:55:09 pm »
I checked with my bf (he worked at GS for three years), and he's gone through the launch edition and we currently have two pro models. We don't have 4k monitors but for the performance alone, it's noticeable to us. But he also agrees that the slim model is better than regular and that slim will probably suit you fine if you're not concerned with performance on future titles. We get the impression that devs are trying to optimize for pro performance when possible, if anything.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 07:54:39 pm »
Reliability wise the slim will probably last longer as it runs cooler and uses less power.

If you want something more future proof the PS4 Pro may be a better choice.

Even on a 1080p display the games will run at faster framerates (in boost mode) and the super-sampling will make them look a bit better.

If you ever decide to go the PS VR route you will absolutely appreciate the higher frame rate at 1080p.

Maybe you don't go the PS VR route but even if it doesn't feel like it now, at some point you will come to own a 4k tv. It's inevitable.

Once you get one many of the games will be reborn graphically and it won't cost you an extra dime.

Put another way. Why would you not give yourself the best gaming experience you can afford?

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 09:00:49 pm »
I'd probably also say PS4 Pro if price doesn't matter.  You may not be a stickler for graphics, but there are bonuses to games that can improve an experience, like the Monster Hunter World demo gives you three options to either push resolution, push quality, or push framerate, which is nice and more games coming up will take advantage of the extra power boost in the Pro.  I've also not heard anything about issues with the Pro and I've had mine since September with no issues.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 09:16:04 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out which PS4 would be the best for me to buy both in anticipation of Ace Combat 7 and the few games I already have for it that I'm itching to play. Personally, the graphics, 4K support, and price are not things that I really feel one way or another about. What I'm most concerned about is reliability. I'd like to only need to buy the console once.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

PS4 Slim :D.  It takes everything great from the original PS4 and puts it in a slimmer form factor with the new and improved controller shipped.  The 1TB option was 199 on black friday but I assume it's still cheap.  Considering 4K doesn't matter to you (doesn't matter to Sony either apparently as the Pro doesn't run it native)  and you aren't really hinging your experience on the little slight differences with the better textures of a pro than Slim is definitely the best option at the price point.   The Pro is really an almost unnecessary upgrade.  :)    And at it's price point it really should at least play 4K blu ray.  Something the One S does at half it's price.    I feel Sony dropped the ball with the pro and it only sells because of it's premium marketing but really if specs and 4K are your thing than Xbox One X is the obvious choice.   But if you just want PS4 for the 1st party exclusives and the amazing lineup of indie games than PS4 Slim is perfect :).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:28:57 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 11:16:06 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:02:23 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 12:09:36 am »
I don't own a PS4 but the way I look at it, If you don't have a 4K TV then any of the non-pro models should be good enough. haven't heard anything going wrong in terms of reliability. I hope my advice helps :)

telly

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 12:35:14 am »
I don't own a 4K TV, and don't see myself getting one until wayyy down the line. I'm not sure it's worth paying for a PS4 based on that. Though it does make sense, might as well get the best thing, otherwise you're just buying a weaker product.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 01:09:09 am »
I don't own a 4K TV, and don't see myself getting one until wayyy down the line. I'm not sure it's worth paying for a PS4 based on that. Though it does make sense, might as well get the best thing, otherwise you're just buying a weaker product.

With some games it's the difference between a game being playable vs great.

The Last Guardian comes to mind.

30fps solid on a PS4 Pro in 1080p. But down to as little as 15 fps in some scenes on the stock PS4.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 05:01:47 am »

30fps solid on a PS4 Pro in 1080p. But down to as little as 15 fps in some scenes on the stock PS4.

Yeah the framerate was rough a lot of the time with Last Guardian, but that's one of those games that seemed sorta lucky to come out at all.  I might have to pick it up again someday to see how it runs on my Pro.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 09:25:26 pm »

Yeah the framerate was rough a lot of the time with Last Guardian, but that's one of those games that seemed sorta lucky to come out at all.  I might have to pick it up again someday to see how it runs on my Pro.

This pretty much sums it up Telly. :)