Author Topic: 8 bit Mega Man vs 16 bit Mega Man. Which was Mega Man's best era?  (Read 1100 times)

Hello everyone :D.    With the announcement of not only Mega Man 11 in all its excitement and glory but also the announcement of X collection for XB1 and PS4 (and hopefully switch) which will make a lot of us 40 dollars broker :).

I always wondered which era defined Mega Man more and which line up of games was better.  I find it so hard to choose between them as they are both essential. The SNES X series of games along with games like 7 and such or the NES'S original 6? :D

For me Mega Man 2 was the one that started it all for the craze imo and will always be my favorite. It's the first one I ever beat and was so proud to have beaten it as the games are pretty hard.  :).     I think the X series may be more consistent in being epic but I think just because of 2 and nostalgia the NES lineup is better and more the golden era of mega man imo :D

Which era do you think Mega Man had the most quality games.  The X series on SNES or the originals for NES?  Truly a lot to choose from and a lot of amazing intangibles from music to innovation to nostalgia and everything in between. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:21:22 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

Re: 8 bit Mega Man vs 16 bit Mega Man. Which was Mega Man's best era?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:50:54 pm »
16 bit

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:18:45 pm »
I always prefered the X series, at least up until X5. So 16-bit.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 01:10:25 am »
I always found Mega Man X to be better than the NES ones.  I don't even like Mega Man 2 that much and prefer 4 or 5.  It's why I'm excited for the Mega Man X collection as I have only played the first MMX and I think 2 or 3.

stealthrush

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 01:22:37 am »
Classic Mega Man series for sure. From the core gameplay, soundtrack, and overall polish of each game. The universe felt complete and had the right amount of memorable characters. I've played all the games as a kid, bought the anthologies years later. Although the X series introduced a more elaborate story, the experience of the game overall went in too many directions while adding plenty of forgettable characters to the mix.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 08:41:21 am »
Both.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 10:07:22 am »
I'm an 8-bit Mega Man guy.  Don't get me wrong, I love the X series.  I just like the OG Mega Man a little better. 

I don't think either is "the best".  I just have a preference. 

azure

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 01:06:53 pm »
I like all the incarnations of Mega Man, each for different reasons. Sooo, both.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 08:51:17 am »
Yeah, it’s not really a matter of which is “better”, just which one you prefer.
I personally enjoy the 8-bit games more than the X series. I like the “Theme+man” boss design much more than the X series’ animals. Besides, some X series bosses have some ridiculous names (I’m looking at you, Boomer Kuwanger...)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 01:39:38 pm »
Both.

^^^ this.

I am currently making my way through MM Legacy. Almost done with MM2.

I use the MM games and Pinball FX3 to test input/display lag on TVs.

The X series feels more forgiving timing wise. MM2 in particular demands precision.