Author Topic: What Is This Name calling Fanboy Hatred All About (On other forums)?  (Read 2149 times)

I read a lot posts from people on VG Collect, and I hear that on other forums their is a lot of what I call pointless hatred, where someone that love one console company a lot, and gets their face shoved in the dirt for absolutely logical (to me) no reason at all. For me I find that only slightly more dumb then rage quitting and screaming at someone who beat you an online video game. I will admit I do cuss at the computer when I am having a vary vary vary hard time and a video game is being unfair but I just don't get involved in online games either.

SO what if someone likes a console and only a certain one or company, that is no reason to cuss them out in my own opinion. what is your take on this and I don't want to start a heated disscussion.

and if anyone cares I have at least 1 console for each and every console manufacture and a PC to top things off. But my Atari happens to be a flashback console because that is all that is available to me locally.

PS:please try not to make this a heated thread, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, But what is  hate about when someone who only plays a certain company, please explain why that is important to you (if it is or not). When you have your own life and they have theirs? I may need help
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:45:25 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: What Is This Name calling Fanboy Hatred All About (On other forums)?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:09:39 am »
Around here? I haven't seen too much of that in particular.  It's of course dumb to do, everyone has their preferences and there's no reason to go after a person for it. 

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 04:06:08 am »
I believe the issue is the whole console wars thing. Some people take their devotion too far and will attack fans of other consoles and companies unnecassarily, or just relentlessly bash any game console they don't prefer.

Personally I tend to buy nintendo stuff almost exclusively but I don't think the other consoles are BAD. It's just my personal preference

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 05:17:02 am »
It's the main reason I mostly stay on this site for my gaming discussing.  I am on a page called console purist and it's truly Ebola most of the time.   Sony fanboys hating Xbox, Xbox fanboys hating sony,  Both hating Nintendo.    It's just depressing and counter productive and the reason the hobby is looked at in a false light.  Play what you like and leave everyone else alone. 

Their is this one guy that just bashes switch all day and he doesn't even own nor has ever played one.  It's just redundant.  And clearly for Nintendo fans to argue with him.

I just wish people would just enjoy what they enjoy and converse like on here.  I think it's because of the community here.  Most flame wars get closed thread within no time and it's generally frowned upon here to be rude or call people out for their preference which is awesome :)

pizzasafari

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 06:07:07 am »
I think people here are generally a bit older so the place is more mature. Most of the people screeching at each other for liking things they don't like tend to be teenagers or NEETs that wouldn't have the money to collect anyway.

thewelshman

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 09:39:52 am »
The folks here generally collect for multiple systems, so having extreme bias for one over another doesn't happen often. As Pizzasafari mentioned, we're all a bit older and a little more mature. It would be foolish for me to react negatively to someone who plays the same game as me, but on a different console.

Other than the niche video game board at cheapassgamer.com, I don't go to many other boards for that reason. I don't have time to argue with someone about why my copy of Ys VIII is inferior because I chose to play it on the PS Vita.

I like this place. Everyone tries to help or gives their opinion in a very respectful way. I think a lot of it is also because that kind of disrespect doesn't go over here and people get warned for such infractions. (mentioned by marvelvscapcom2).

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 10:02:36 am »
It is not unique to gaming. You can find the same thing happen in other communities regarding:
- operating systems
- media formats
- cars

Certainly other things I'm sure. HECK one is left out from OP's post where it isn't about the console they like at all... it is the collecting of games. "COLLECTARDS ARE OUT OF CONTROL" oooooooooo

Who cares? Its just text.

But then there are sometimes when these things are said as a joke but people don't notice it that way. So basically treat it all as a joke.  8)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 10:17:06 am »
But then there are sometimes when these things are said as a joke but people don't notice it that way. So basically treat it all as a joke.  8)

Tone gets lost in text.  I've been guilty of that. 

I'm a self-professed Nintendo fanboy.  I just am.  If Nintendo put out a turd with Mario's head stamped on it, I'd buy it.  Hell, I'd probably even enjoy it for a little while.  I'm not to the point though, that I hate on other stuff.  I don't care if you love your XBone.  That's your thing to do.  I'm not into it, but cool for you. 

I think y'all hit the nail on the head.  There aren't many kids/teenagers around here.  We're more mature (read: old) on this forum.  That's probably why we don't give a rat's patoot what you do with the little bit of free time that you have.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 01:55:10 pm »
It's kids/teens that are relegated to only one console, because that's all their parent's can afford for them. So they have to feel justified in their choice of console, and do so by crapping on other people's choice of console.

Like others have pointed out, we're adults. So we have enough disposable income that most of us own consoles from multiple companies, so we don't need to have that justification.

As for more mature...I question how mature I really am at times, lol.

tpugmire

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 02:25:01 pm »
Philips CD-i > all. Anyone who disagrees can suck it.  ???
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 03:39:29 pm »
I think people here are generally a bit older so the place is more mature. Most of the people screeching at each other for liking things they don't like tend to be teenagers or NEETs that wouldn't have the money to collect anyway.

It's kids/teens that are relegated to only one console, because that's all their parent's can afford for them. So they have to feel justified in their choice of console, and do so by crapping on other people's choice of console.

Like others have pointed out, we're adults. So we have enough disposable income that most of us own consoles from multiple companies, so we don't need to have that justification.

As for more mature...I question how mature I really am at times, lol.

I don't think it's entirely the age demographic that makes this site so inclusive and lacking of flame wars entirely.  I'm sure with less kids comes less brats being rude but I have seen on other pages and sites grown men in their late 30s and 40s throwing some of the most disgusting insults at eachother over console bias :).  Most of them I can confirm had real profiles as well as I know some of them personally from dealings and such. 

I just think the admins and moderators do a great job of monitoring the site here while other sites and facebook pages have lazy mods and admins who do nothing to stop posts from going astray while here when those flame wars happen they get close thread within a day so the console fanboys who cuss people out don't ever get away with it and tend to leave and genuine collectors stay and converse like adults :).   

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 08:17:54 pm »
It's the main reason I mostly stay on this site for my gaming discussing.  I am on a page called console purist and it's truly Ebola most of the time.   Sony fanboys hating Xbox, Xbox fanboys hating sony,  Both hating Nintendo.    It's just depressing and counter productive and the reason the hobby is looked at in a false light.  Play what you like and leave everyone else alone. 

Their is this one guy that just bashes switch all day and he doesn't even own nor has ever played one.  It's just redundant.  And clearly for Nintendo fans to argue with him.

I just wish people would just enjoy what they enjoy and converse like on here.  I think it's because of the community here.  Most flame wars get closed thread within no time and it's generally frowned upon here to be rude or call people out for their preference which is awesome :).

^ All of this.  Best post ever.  Those other forums are just so toxic...

Spoke too soon looks like.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:01:31 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 12:48:30 am »
I spent the better part of like a decade or so as a member of Gamefaqs and it wasnt until I was part of the Nonstop Gaming General board that the beginning of the end of for me with gaming forums. The last maybe year or so I was a phase where I was meh about gaming and being part of that community was just toxic as all hell. One side you have the PC fanboys gloating about PCs, the Sony fanboys gloating about exclusives, fanboys in general shitting on other fanboys when said exclusive dont get anything higher than a 9 because apparently anything under that is a flop. Then you have them go back and forth because digital foundry says the a game on their console is better than the other. It was just brutal and it got to the point that I wanted nothing to do with gaming forums. Mind you I did have an account here at the time but I never really used the forums however as I stated in the introduction thread, I closed my original account because I went through a meh with gaming phase earlier this year but more to do with not giving an eff if my collection was archived or not. Needless to say, I came back and I feel like I am more active now than I was on my original account and I have grown fond of the users here since at the end of the day, we are all just gamers who have a collection affinity which works out great since I believe we dont have a biased towards one particular console. Plus of course boards for other subject matters(like wrestling but I forget that there is a wrestling thread, sorry). At the end of the day, this has been a nice little community.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 08:47:44 am »
To get real metaphorical about it:

Think of gaming as a fence. We're all inside of it on level ground, freely able to move between genres/publishers/developers/whatever. The fence just kind of defines what's 'gaming' over what's 'books' or 'movies' (and there's breaks in the fence where things overlap.)

Some people desperately need it to be a ladder, not a fence. Because a ladder has a clear up & down, and if they can put their things on the upper rungs, then they're above everybody else. So they scream & holler in a desperate attempt to pull up the fence & turn it sideways.

It's not about logic. It's not about making any sort of real sense. It's about enforcing a sense of self-worth that requires someone or something else to be worth less. And since self-worth is important to, y'know, being alive, it's sadly not going away anytime soon.

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 01:22:50 pm »
I can confirm that grown-ass men indeed, do engage in fanboyism and tantrums about the gaming preferences of others. I personally know some PC-elitists who constantly deride any console or the people who insist on supporting them, over building a gaming PC.

It doesn't really matter what age you are. Hobbyists of any kind, tend to engage in what some people refer to as the "my toy is better than your toy" spiel. There must be something in the hobbyist or collector mindset the fosters that immaturity of needing to be right, and needing to be the best among your peers. It doesn't happen often around here, but to say it never happens is a stretch. We're probably not collectively as mature as we think, but we at least try.

I can honestly say that I'm live and let live, but I'll admit it does annoy me when I see someone else start bashing and fanboying around.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:27:05 pm by Warmsignal »