Author Topic: Gran Turismo Series Thread  (Read 2309 times)

Gran Turismo Series Thread
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:16:19 pm »
for those who know skip this first lines

Gran Turismo is a driving simulator SONY series of video games that is may be an exclusive to PlayStation consoles ever since the PlayStation 1 it is a game that includes in game buyable cars from real life manufacturers as well as real auto parts from real manufacturers from around the world.

I am not going to name all the manufactures and cars because their is over 700 cars to buy and upgrade in Gran Turismo 4 for the PlayStation 2 alone. and vary few cars to choose from in Gran Turismo 3 A spec.

I prefer gran turismo 2 at the moment wikipedia says their is close to 650 cars. But the back artwork only says over 500.

this is a thread for any Gran Turismo fans to share their experience with this series.

I used to like the (Toyota SUPRA 2.5GT Twin Turbo R '90)

http://gran-turismo.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Games
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:18:38 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

Re: Gran Turismo Series Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 12:33:31 am »
Think the only Gran Turismo I played was GT3: A-Spec on the PS2.  I remember enjoying it, even though I'm not particularly into realistic racing games.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 01:26:53 am »
I used to love the Gran Turismo games, even though I never actually played the first one. The 2nd one got me into the series and I bought the 3rd one brand new when it came out because of how hyped I was. The best one was 4 as I also played that one the most and progressed the furthest in it. Sadly after that the series lost its way a bit. 5 was mediocre imo, and 6 might as well have been an updated version of 5 since it was the same game mostly. Gran Turismo sport sounds like a totally shit game and I will probably never play it, mostly due to its emphasis on online play, which is something I'm really not into for the most part.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 05:45:58 am »
Gran Turismo 1- Revolutionary
Gran Turismo 2- Redifined the racing sim genre and perfected the 1st GT's formula. A true gem. :)
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec-  The Jump to the next gen was a huge success and the amount of childhood hours I put in this are mind boggling.
Gran Turismo 4-  One of the best racing games ever made and the best of the series imo.  It added way more cars than the others, way better graphics and polyphony digital did in incredible job on everything.  The audio, sound track.  This was the hay day of GT :D
Gran Turismo 5- Pretty good but always lacked something imo.  It was no gran turismo 4 but maybe that's nostalgia talking.
Gran Turismo 6- Mediocre layout, not much changed.  This was when Forza started handing GT their butt in critical acclaim and it was obvious why.

Gran Turismo Sport-  Utter trash.  A demo in disguise as a real game with a 60 dollar price tag.  The only franchise Ive seen ballsy enough to charge 60 dollars for a beta.   It's essentially online only taking the bad aspects of the online only EA games and merging it with an incomplete game with less cars than Forza's arcade racer (Horizon 3) and just pretty much a poorly presented package that let fans down accross the board. It's clearly a prologue (they've done this before) but they didn't have the decency to call it a prologue or a demo.  They sold it as full price.  We want GT 7. I'm sick of GT putting out "prologue" as a 60 dollar entry.  At least they used to admit it.  Now they are lying to the consumer blatantly.  Ashamed to see the franchise turn down the road it has after being one of the most consistent and beloved sony franchises :(

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 06:22:01 pm »
If you don't think you like Gran Turismo I highly recommend Gran Turismo 2 the licences are a lot easier and the money is plentiful unlike in later Gran Turismo games in fact some people I've seen on YouTube have well over $1,000,000.00. earning lots of money to upgrade your car is a breeze in Gran Turismo 2 game and even the loser can get 500 credits in witch an average winner on Gran Turismo 4 gets without a licence.

you can unlock a secret car in some of the Gran Turismo game. by getting all gold medals on the license testing.

The most difficult part of any Gran Turismo game is earning the license in order to race for higher stakes. Don't bother with "Grab Turismo 3 A Spec" that game is nothing compared to the 1st 2nd and 4th entry into the Gran Turismo series, 3 have barely any cars at all and feels more like a demo then an actual game. Even the 1st entry Gran Turismo 1 has more to game play and racing then the 3rd installment of Gran Turismo 3 A Spec for PlayStation 2.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:23:40 pm by oldgamerz »
NO APPS NEEDED

over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:20:56 am »
I'm not a fan anymore. I blame GT3 for killing off my interest in all of racing games for many years, and I'm only just getting back into them recently. Thinking back to GT3, the training courses were super tedious. It's like you didn't even get to play the game for a long time after you first start. Everything is all slow-mo and being careful. I just don't like the racing sim concept anymore, I prefer something more quick paced and arcade-like in gameplay. So I doubt I'll ever play a GT game again. But I also feel the series has basically turned the genre towards that style of racing, where most of the games now are judge based on how legit the driving seems, or if there are real cars in it, upgrading and tinkering with your car, etc. That's not what makes a racing game fun, IMO.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 10:01:31 am »
I'm not a fan anymore. I blame GT3 for killing off my interest in all of racing games for many years, and I'm only just getting back into them recently. Thinking back to GT3, the training courses were super tedious. It's like you didn't even get to play the game for a long time after you first start. Everything is all slow-mo and being careful. I just don't like the racing sim concept anymore, I prefer something more quick paced and arcade-like in gameplay. So I doubt I'll ever play a GT game again. But I also feel the series has basically turned the genre towards that style of racing, where most of the games now are judge based on how legit the driving seems, or if there are real cars in it, upgrading and tinkering with your car, etc. That's not what makes a racing game fun, IMO.

I have wanted to get into the Forza series for a while, but the last one I played was 3. I heard they are pretty good, especially the Horizon series, but who knows.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 04:34:50 pm »
I have wanted to get into the Forza series for a while, but the last one I played was 3. I heard they are pretty good, especially the Horizon series, but who knows.

I've heard of the forza series on Xbox, though I never played it I over heard that Forza 2 is when that series started to shine

as for Gran Turismo stay away from "Gran Turismo 3 A Spec" that game is pointless to work for since there is not many cars to play with. I own the first 4 Gran Turismo games and I don't like "Gran Turismo 3 A Spec" much at all. if you feel brave enough you can buy Gran Turismo 2 for PlayStation 1 for cheap and it is well worth the puchase it is cheap as of (1-17-2018)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000034DC7/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1516224859&sr=8-1&keywords=gran+turismo+2+ps1

best played on PlayStation 3 where you can create a built in memory card and have the maximum number of cars while going on a budget. The PS1 memory cards are expensive and are a waste of money in my case.

PS all gran turismo games have both arcade mode and simulation game play at least 1,2 and 4. but Gran turismo 2 is suppose to come with 2 cds one for arcade and one for simulation. ;)

Gran Turismo 1 comes with only 1 disc
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:41:30 pm by oldgamerz »
NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 10:35:30 am »

If you love racing sims Forza Motorsport 7 on the One X is pretty much the essential racing experience in 4k 60 FPS.  It runs smooth on One S or One as well too :).  Forza is truly the highest rated, most critically acclaimed and best executed racing sim of recent years.  It typically always wins racing game of the year.  It's depth is unrivaled and it's upgrade system and interface is approachable for novices and experts.

As for the Horizon series. Those are even better imo lol.  Those are typically the choice of people who love racing games and want the fun and realism of forza but don't like sim games or get bored with the intangibles of authentic racing and laps around circuit tracks.  Horizon 3 has one of the largest, detailed and most picturesque maps in racing games :D.  It's more arcade feel on the handling and drifting, more loose, closer to old NFS feel but still more realistic and no nitrous and it's more meant for open high way crusing, drag racing at the strip with folks online and more country side street racing at festivals.  It's a amazingly fun series and each are worth a play :)

All and all Forza is really a fun and consistent game. I highly reccomend ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:37:04 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 04:59:48 pm »
well I just read something about Gran Turismo 7 is going to be a possible launch title for the PlayStation 5, but I don't keep up with modern game so I am not too sure., does anyone still care about the Gran Turismo series anymore, I never played a series like Gran Turismo with having 100's of cars to choose from and upgrade them.

In case you do not know. in every Gran Turismo game I've played so far.  it's vary easy to understand how to upgrade your cars, it's nothing like some of the NASCAR sim games I've played, where they expect you to know about how to fine tune your car with wedges, and spoilers, and tire pressure. All you need to know is what kind of tire you need for the race, and how to use the different shocks and how to add Horse Power to all your cars, it tells you how to do this. Air filters and mufflers and various engine upgrades all tell you what they are going to do to your car pretty much before you purchase them

But however there is a fine tune mode called (edit) Professional tuning mode where the games warn you before you tweak the car with similar to NASCAR fine tuning for experts only.

I am not trying to be a jerk but at least in Gran Turismo 1,2 and 3  and 4 all cars are in the game, meaning you don't need to pay extra like you might on later games GT 4 is said to have over 700 buy able cars but there might be a limit on how many you can have all at once on one saved file, and Gran Turismo 2, the one  in the link above has 650 buyable or unlockable cars
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 07:54:59 pm by oldgamerz »
NO APPS NEEDED

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 08:07:06 pm »
My favorite gran turismo games are
1 gran turismo 3
2 gran turismo 4
3 gran turismo
Hated gran turismo 2 couldn't get into gran turismo 5 or gran turismo sport and haven't tried gran turismo 6 yet.

Definitely try forza if you like gran turismo just pick one I haven't played a bad one yet!

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 09:17:56 am »
I didn't like any of the Gran Turismo games I've ever played and it comes down to the available control schemes. It might make sense for console people to use the control schemes that the games give you, but coming from a perspective where most driving games I had played prior to that were either on computer or were not driving games first, leave a lot to be desired. I had tried Gran Turismo 3 and also another one that I got with the PS3 and didn't like the controls in either. Also I did not play GT3 when it came out, but years later, and the graphics were not good.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 11:18:26 am »
I didn't like any of the Gran Turismo games I've ever played and it comes down to the available control schemes. It might make sense for console people to use the control schemes that the games give you, but coming from a perspective where most driving games I had played prior to that were either on computer or were not driving games first, leave a lot to be desired. I had tried Gran Turismo 3 and also another one that I got with the PS3 and didn't like the controls in either. Also I did not play GT3 when it came out, but years later, and the graphics were not good.

Yes it's not easy and earning the racing licenses required to race most of the races in Gran Turismo. It's annoying and difficult, most times for me. Every single car requires a different skill for racing it, I feel you with the PC controls vs the d-pad controls, but once I learned how to use a d-pad instead of arrow keys, I can do it.

Most racing games I've played are not easy.

But in my opinion there are far worse racing games out their than gran turismo,

like the kind of racing games where the CPU spins your car around and then makes a perfect run and leave you way behind in last place, thankfully if that ever happens in Gran Turismo 2 for example the game will let you gain ground unlike most PS1 games like Test Drive Off Road 1

I hate racing games that you are left in last place for the entire race just because of one mistake, Gran Turismo is forgiving and a lot easier than a lot of other racing games I've played so far.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:25:57 am by oldgamerz »
NO APPS NEEDED

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 10:07:43 am »
Every single car requires a different skill for racing it, I feel you with the PC controls vs the d-pad controls, but once I learned how to use a d-pad instead of arrow keys, I can do it.

I was thinking more of the shoulder buttons being the default option.
Using d-pad or stick for steering and buttons for accelerate and brake would be preferred. Or if those games had the same controls for driving as was in the GTA games.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 11:56:58 am »
Every single car requires a different skill for racing it, I feel you with the PC controls vs the d-pad controls, but once I learned how to use a d-pad instead of arrow keys, I can do it.

I was thinking more of the shoulder buttons being the default option.
Using d-pad or stick for steering and buttons for accelerate and brake would be preferred. Or if those games had the same controls for driving as was in the GTA games.

I don't understand what your saying
I have Gran Turismo 1 2 3 and 4, and they all require the x button for acceleration and the square button for brake and d-pad for controls. I never used the shoulder buttons, did you change the default settings because mine is set to default.

(edit)
The Original Xbox racing game would be better for you, most Original  Xbox racing games I've played so far use the shoulder buttons right for accelerate and left for brake, that is fun with an original Xbox controller :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 12:04:05 pm by oldgamerz »
NO APPS NEEDED