Author Topic: January 2018 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 4742 times)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

January 2018 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« on: January 05, 2018, 05:41:07 am »
Show your stuff!

Re: January 2018 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 07:29:24 am »
5 days into the month for a thread.  We are all slacking.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:20:11 am »
Just a tub of assorted goodies that i am repairing/refurbishing so far. Only just finished work on the saturn - testing the games - then moving on to the genesis

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:29:12 am »
I bought this last year, but I didn't get it until this year.  I finally got my copy of Cannon Spike for the DreamCast.  It's a great Capcom mashup of different characters in what I can best describe as an arena style shooting game.  It'll be easier if you just watch a youtube video.  That'll explain it better than I can.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 11:09:53 am »

haha my thoughts exactly. I've noticed a general slowdown not just here, but all over the place when it comes to purchasing new games, especially retro games.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 11:29:07 am »

haha my thoughts exactly. I've noticed a general slowdown not just here, but all over the place when it comes to purchasing new games, especially retro games.
I personally think the market for retro stuff is going downhill. 

Most of my avenues of acquisition have dried up in recent months.  I don't even see video games at Goodwills anymore... not even sports games.  But with how many games I own, I could also just not have much left that I want.  *shrug*

sworddude

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 12:41:40 pm »

The thread is only 5 days old that  aside retro adds weren't that plentyfull for most members on the forums here to begin with if i'm honest. Modern games dominated the threads only very few people actually post retro adds aside from xbox and ps2 that is.

Maybe It's slow because of the start of the new year and the spendings from the holiday season in December Christmas etc because even modern adds have not been posted yet
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:53:29 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 05:49:14 pm »

The thread is only 5 days old that  aside retro adds weren't that plentyfull for most members on the forums here to begin with if i'm honest. Modern games dominated the threads only very few people actually post retro adds aside from xbox and ps2 that is.

Maybe It's slow because of the start of the new year and the spendings from the holiday season in December Christmas etc because even modern adds have not been posted yet

The slowdown has been happening for a while, like over a year. Sure, people get lucky and score big occasionally, but the amount of pickup posts, especially for retro titles, is significantly down from a couple years, and especially 4 or 5 years ago. It isn't even speculation at this point since most collectors seem to agree that things have dried up a lot over the last few years.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 06:01:39 pm »

The slowdown has been happening for a while, like over a year. Sure, people get lucky and score big occasionally, but the amount of pickup posts, especially for retro titles, is significantly down from a couple years, and especially 4 or 5 years ago. It isn't even speculation at this point since most collectors seem to agree that things have dried up a lot over the last few years.

I won't disagree deals were more plentyfull years ago fortunately there are still excellent deals if you know where to look.

spac316

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 06:07:35 pm »
All the stuff I got so far for the start of the new year. First off, I got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Switch. Also downloaded Vs. Super Mario Bros.
The the other day I got A Boy and his Blob for Wii and Road Rash 3 for Genesis. Finally got RR3 for a more reasonable price. Store owner gave me a discount so I paid $40 total.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 06:14:30 pm »
It's not just retro gaming. The internet has hurt collecting in general.

I'm a big movie collector. I used to come across people just practically giving away their VHS on a regular basis. Now that's very far and few in-between. People know that some of these are worth money now, and all you find anymore are the common crap like 50 copies of Titanic and a crapload of Disney garbage.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 06:25:11 pm »
It's not just retro gaming. The internet has hurt collecting in general.

I'm a big movie collector. I used to come across people just practically giving away their VHS on a regular basis. Now that's very far and few in-between. People know that some of these are worth money now, and all you find anymore are the common crap like 50 copies of Titanic and a crapload of Disney garbage.

You're definitely right, but retro is a lot harder to come by than newer games released in the past few years simply because you can't just go to a Target or Gamestop and buy them anymore. On top of that, the prices are still high on a lot of the better retro stuff which is prohibitive to most people. I was mostly just referring to games, but you are right about other items as well.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 07:23:03 pm »
Frankly, I can't believe people still go out game hunting and find something second hand at all. I stopped doing that about 3 years or more ago. It's all retail, gaming cons, or occasional eBay now for me. But I have a really good local store with a massive selection, so it don't really miss the hunt. I've become accustom to the high prices now, don't even care anymore.

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 08:03:12 pm »
Frankly, I can't believe people still go out game hunting and find something second hand at all. I stopped doing that about 3 years or more ago. It's all retail, gaming cons, or occasional eBay now for me. But I have a really good local store with a massive selection, so it don't really miss the hunt. I've become accustom to the high prices now, don't even care anymore.

If deals really dried out you could question why retrogame stores still exist, just saying live isn't free not to mention that allot of retrogame stores have enough cash for employees and rent for the store every month. You can't live from only trade ins it has to be way cheaper than that to keep the lights on.

as far as fleamarkets etc go. Maybe stuff isn't dried up but just the simple fact that more people are hunting and picking stuff up. In the past no one hunted for certain things however if there are multiple people even 2 to 4 people looking for the same stuff on a fleamarket the good things are gone. In the past maybe some people were the only ones looking for stuff on a flea market. Stuff is not plentifull there is just a certain amount.

thrift stores, maybe only a few people looked every week through games etc yet I'm pretty sure at least dozen of people pick through certain thrifstores daily. Not even resellers but people who do it for fun wich they did not in the past thanks to the retrogame hype or that some stuff have value.

You just need one or two people to buy everthing up if the prices are low, in the past the competition was pretty minimal only for the few people that actually cared about the hobby wich were pretty rare back than.

While fresh supply of retro stuff will be less and less when times goes on I'm pretty sure that if the competition is the same like now even if stuff is more plentifull like back in the day allot of folks will barely get anything and complain like they do right now.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:22:24 pm by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 08:22:06 pm »

If deals really dried out you could question why retrogame stores still exist, just saying live isn't free not to mention that allot of retrogame stores have enough cash for employees and rent for the store every month. You can't live from only trade ins it has to be way cheaper than that to keep the lights on.

as far as fleamarkets etc go. Maybe stuff isn't dried up but just the simple fact that more people are hunting and picking stuff up. In the past no one hunted for certain things however if there are multiple people even 2 to 4 people looking for the same stuff on a fleamarket the good things are gone. In the past maybe some people were the only ones looking for stuff on a flea market. Stuff is not plentifull there is just a certain amount.

thrift stores, maybe only a few people looked every week through games etc yet I'm pretty sure at least dozen of people pick through certain thrifstores daily. Not even resellers but people who do it for fun wich they did not in the past thanks to the retrogame hype or that some stuff have value.

You just need one or two people to buy everthing up if the prices are low, in the past the competition was pretty minimal only for the few people that actually cared about the hobby wich were pretty rare back than.

There's no question why this store exists, to me. Firstly, it's primarily a computer store and secondly, his massive selection came from multiple buyouts of hard to get to treasure troves that existed in the area - closed down video/rental businesses, and stock piles kept away in storage at old pawn shops. He paid big for all of that stuff, but reselling each game for an individual eBay price should net him a hefty profit. Also people still bring him old consoles and games hand over fist through the door. It's been established in the area that you will get money for bringing that stuff there. So no one brings it out to a market or yard sale, or donates it anymore.

I've been at flea markets at sun rise many years ago, and would find every other seller had old games. I've tried the same experiment several times in recent years too, and every time, not a single vendor selling games. It's finished with here.