Author Topic: How many X-Box 360s did you go through?  (Read 3274 times)

How many X-Box 360s did you go through?
« on: February 25, 2018, 09:24:20 am »
I ask because my third one just went out two weeks ago.  I wanted to play through a couple of games in back log and my 360 Slim got the blinking Red Light of death.

This is the third 360 I have had die on me.  My original base model went out via a red ring.

My second had the faulty disc drive that I repaired myself, but eventually went down to red ring as well.

I feel like most consoles would have died out completely if they had this many technical problems, but I guess the fact that the PS3 was so prohibitively expensive in the beginning and the Wii just didn't have most of the AAA titles the 360 was the only option despite the hardware defaults.

Fortunately this did give me an excuse to buy an X-Box One, but the two games I was really wanting to play on the 360 are not on the backwards compatibility list (Brutal Legend and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3).

It's doubly irritating because I have literally never had any other console die on me.

Re: How many X-Box 360s did you go through?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:38:18 am »
I've had my xbox 360 since 2007-8 and it's still working.
Definitely getting to it's end tho because it often doesn't want to read the discs so i have to punch (im not kidding it's the only way it will work lol) the system a few times to make it work.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:57:04 am »
 Three Xbox 360 for me and three more for my 2 boys 5 to red ring 1 for disc drive but all were covered under extended warranty  have to  say Microsoft made it a pleasurable experience dealing with them. 2 ps3 shit the bed not under warranty of course,at least microsoft realized that thay screwed up and stood behind their product.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 10:22:42 am »
Two

I bought an Elite when they first came out in 2007 or so and it worked fine for about a year, and then the disc drive stopped reading games and I ended up replacing it. Then 6-months later it went RRoD on me and I was so pissed I ended up selling it for parts and wouldn't own another 360 until 2015 when I bought a used Slim off Craigslist. That Slim is still kicking, but to be fair I barely play my 360.

The console I've actually gone through the most has been the PS2. As much as I adore the PS2 and its amazing library of games, the console is super unreliable. I've geen through 2 fat models and 3 slims since it came out, all of them gradually be unable to read discs until they just couldn't do it at all anymore. My current slim is currently in the midst of this as it struggles to read PS1 games and purple bottom PS2 games. It'll probably have to be replaced within the next year or so.

I've also been through two Dreamcasts as one of them stopped reading discs.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 10:32:47 am »
I'm on my 2nd.

Technically the first one still worked okay, it's just that you HAD to have a disc in the drive or the tray wouldn't want to come out. I was afraid I might lose a game for good one day if it decided to never open again, so I replaced it on the cheap.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 12:01:36 pm »
I'm always afraid to say this, out of fear of tempting fate, but- my original 360 is working just fine. I've never had an issue with it.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 12:16:57 pm »
I've owned 3 360s. A Halo 3 Edition, a Halo Reach Edition, and a 10-year-old one that was pried from a demo kiosk when the store I worked at got rid of the demo units after a planogram change.

The only one that ever had a problem was the Halo 3 one, which E74'd on me. However that was under warranty, so I was able to get it fixed for free (unfortunately the casing got chipped a but in transit). The main reason I upgraded to the Halo Reach one was the storage capacity, as 20 GB was no longer anywhere near enough, and for the price difference between a new hard drive and a new, limited edition console with an even bigger hard drive, it was worth it for the complete upgrade.
The kiosk console, which was an original 2005 model, never broke down once in its years of operation, and was eventually gifted to some of my cousins after being reformatted. In fact, the only component of the Kiosk that ever broke was the monitor, whose backlight burned out after about 6-7 years and needed replacement.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 03:26:55 pm »
I've only lost one.  The disk drive went out on it while I was on a vacation, sometime around 2009/2010, so I just bought one of the Arcade editions to replace it since I just had to swap the HDD.  Never had an issue since.  Sure, I haven't played it much in a few years, but I usually get the hankering for some Guitar Hero and so I keep it around for that.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 03:36:52 pm »
Zero.

I'm just now experiencing the 360 generation via XB1 backward compatibility. Lotsa good games I missed!

hexen

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 04:02:10 pm »
My brother had one. It red-ringed with pretty minimal play time, and it was an elite. We never got another one.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 05:09:51 pm »
I got my 1st in Oct 2010, I'm on my 2nd now. The 1st one still works, but the disc drive is shot. I used to use it for my digital arcade titles, until it presented me with the RROD (The RROD wasn't actually my console dying, it was my aftermarket Hard Drive dying) The console still works fine outside of the disc drive, but I moved my games to an external HD and use it with my console #2. Console #2 runs a little slow sometimes, but still gets the job done. I have a 3rd still in the box ready for when #2 goes.

That said, I'm on my 4th Xbox One (3 faulty disc drives within 1 year with the original model, finally gave up and bought a slim, which had been great).

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 05:35:49 pm »
I'm on my first Xbox360. I currently own 1 Xbox360 slim but I am afraid to play or get attached to it because of hearing so many stories of others getting the red ring of death.

However my PS3 250 gig model Super Slim was bought used in 2015 and with it's case torn, I  only had to fix it once because of the limit switch, it broke off and that switch is what triggers the entire Blu Ray rom deck to move and light up

I got my Xbox360 barly used from my little sister. But
I always hesitated actually buying an Xbox360 after I heard some shop owners in the Taylor Trade Center told me it was a crap system.

they told me that some people call the Xbox360 the Xbox 3 shitty and told me never to get one of them.

My little sister sold her entire video game collection to me last year including her xbox360 console and games with 4 other barely used consoles for $300
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:46:26 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 05:48:25 pm »
Still playing my Gamecube

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 06:03:02 pm »
Still playing my Gamecube

I've had my old Gamecube get hot and freeze a couple times even with the fan working but I was playing it in a hot summer without AC. but overall the Gamecube is a great console :)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

stealthrush

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 08:49:46 pm »
I'm always afraid to say this, out of fear of tempting fate, but- my original 360 is working just fine. I've never had an issue with it.

This.

The only problem I encountered with my Xbox 360 Arcade Edition is the disc drive getting occasionally stuck. Although I've been through 4 controllers. Since I played fighting games a lot in 2010-2016 on the system the d-pad wore down, not like they were great to begin with. Fortunately I transitioned permanently using a arcade stick for fighters.