Author Topic: How Many Know That Pluging A Yellow AV Cord into a Green RGB Slot Works  (Read 13903 times)

I said this in a reply to someone else on here that was kinda new around here. and I just wondered did anyone ever plug an AV yellow cord into a Green RGB plug? It actually works without issue I used to have an older model HDTV and it had a red and white input but the Yellow hole was missing. So I then plugged the yellow cord into the green hole and it worked fine, without any bad screen or any glitches

Unfortunately that HDTV had a bad kick stand and it fell and cracked the screen

so now I own a Flat Screen CRT television.

Every single game played with spot on controls and without any lag, I just wounder if anyone else tryed plugging A Yellow RCA cord into a Green RGB slot. (note it only worked in the green slot)

this is safe according to my experience and I am not lying or making this up
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:21:44 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

rayne315

I did know that that works. I used to have a tv that only had the hd color plugs (WRGBR) so having a typical connector I tried every combination till I found one that worked. the picture works just fine but you can only output mono sound if memory serves. also I would always have to play the guessing game as I could never remember which one would work. plugging into one of the color channels would always display a staticy grey mess and would be nearly unplayable.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

aliensstudios

I knew it works on some TVs but not all of them.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

Most tvs have some sort of indication to use that input in place of traditional AV connections, its not a secret hack lol.

tripredacus

No one reads TV manuals!

It's not an all TVs thing- some TVs, in order to save space/money/whatever, put shared composite/component jacks on their TVs. On a shared jack, the green input is the video slot. Most TVs with a shared input actually have a green/yellow slot (either half & half or a yellow stripe), but not always.

If your TV does not have a shared jack, either becuase the composite is on a separate input or becuase they opted not to support it, it's not gonna work. Doesn't hurt to try if you're desperate, though.

For TVs that don't have any kind of composite/component shared ports:

You can plug an old video game console's yellow composite plug into any TV's green component video slot and it will work, and come in much sharper... BUT in black and white.  ;)

Component video (red/green/blue cords) use the green channel as the main brightness (luminance) and sync channel, the other two cables carry the brightness information for the red and blue channels, which are combined to create your color picture. Composite video (the yellow cable) carries both the brightness and color information on the same line, which is why the quality isn't quite as good.

If you plug a yellow composite cable to your green component port, it will take the brightness information from composite and think it's meant to be the green channel. Since there's no information from the red or blue channels, it can only show a black and white picture.

In theory, you could get three different game consoles with yellow composite cords, plug each yellow cable into your green red and blue component ports and get a crazy colored image from all three...

In theory, you could get three different game consoles with yellow composite cords, plug each yellow cable into your green red and blue component ports and get a crazy colored image from all three...

Well now I just wanna try that :p

MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

No one reads TV manuals!

Manuals are for losers!  :P

dashv

PRO Supporter

I had no idea this was a thing. I learned something!

Flashback2012

Doesn't work on my TV. I tried hooking up my DreamCast this way and got a very ugly, jumpy black & white image on screen. My only recourse at this point to hooking my DC up to my TV is to get a Composite to HDMI converter and hope for the best.  :-\

aliensstudios

Doesn't work on my TV. I tried hooking up my DreamCast this way and got a very ugly, jumpy black & white image on screen. My only recourse at this point to hooking my DC up to my TV is to get a Composite to HDMI converter and hope for the best.  :-\
Sounds like your TV only supports component video. A company named HD Retrovision is currently developing a Component video cable for Dreamcast.
Also, if you're going to adapt the composite video, I'd advise adapting it to component video. That way it's an analog to analog conversion as opposed to an analog to digital conversion with HDMI. Might help with input lag too.
It's strange how most TV's now don't support composite video and some have even ditched component video, making it so you need some sort of external option to make old games usable again. Who knows, maybe someday the digital television sets that support analog sources might be in greater demand than the digital only TVs of the future.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."