Author Topic: Top 5 best video game developers of all time?  (Read 2695 times)

Top 5 best video game developers of all time?
« on: March 15, 2018, 09:05:42 pm »
Hello everyone :D.

With the all the amazing developing studios and or publishers to grace the canvas of the video game art gallery.  Some are home run successes and some are failures but we all have our favorites.  :)

In your opinion.  What 5 companies produce the most gold in terms of epic games? :D

For me here is my golden 5.  If this company makes a game, odds are I will buy it lol.

5. UBISOFT

Ubisoft has graced me with some of my favorite franchises of all time.   Far Cry being a series that consistently blows me away since I was young and first got into 3.   Rayman as a whole has always been a solid platformer for me.   And Mario + Rabbids as a blast.  Combine that with the odd tom clancy game and such.  It's really a solid and underated company imo.   And of course the two legendary south park games that I love.

4. Naughty Dog

Naughty dog,  The legendary titan.  Last of Us, Crash, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted.  Enough said lol. 

3. Tell Tale Games

I know many of you are probably very offended by this and to me this is probably just a fad i'm going through.  But does this company ever make a bad game?  Sure the format is simple as the game does play like a movie more than a game.  But how does one make like 20 good movies in a row back to back? lol.   I just sit back and am taken on a emotional roller coaster each and ever time.  I cried during each walking dead game,  the 2 minecraft seasons,  the borderlands season and batman seasons were all just truly marvelous.   The wolf among us was so edgey.  The art style is just so dope with it's cell shade.   A lot of people hate tell tale because they aren't a traditional video game but that's why I love them.  They have carved their own path and made their own genre.  This deep in video games it's hard to do.   And even if point and click games existed before the tell tale craze.  Tell tale combined the simplistc relaxed playstyle with sheer breathtaking plots and story telling.  they are wizards at this point.  :)

2. Rockstar North

Grand Theft Auto 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, SA, VC are all masterpieces to me.  Such consistency in one franchise that we all marvel at each entry as they bless us every 7 or so years.  They are that worth it to wait for.    Plus Red Dead, LA Noire, Max Payne, Bully, Midnight Club, Earthworn Jim ect..  it's just alot of gems.  But GTA seals this #2 spot imo :)

1. Nintendo

Although subjective, it's almost as close to etched in stone as an opinion can get lol.  The list of 1st party developed gold Nintendo has would exceed the character limit :).    The Mario name alone carries over 50 amazing titles over the finish line of excellence.  Zelda is probably the holy grail of gaming.  Metroid, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros,  Pikmin, F Zero, Kirby, Yoshi and just when you thought.  Wow that's about it.   That company is literally untouchable.   Oops.  Forgot the best selling and most critically acclaimed handheld game franchise of all time.  POKEMON!!!   :D.     It's endless.  Even newer icons like Splatoon and Arms.  It seems like the wall of gems they produce may became something to clammer about for thousands of years.  :).

Honorable mentions:  Blizzard, Squaresoft/Enix, Insomniac, Activision

What are your picks for 5 best video game devs of all time?  :)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:07:36 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

shfan

Re: Top 5 best video game developers of all time?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 10:18:38 pm »
5. Spiderweb Software - Indie ultra-small studio (basically one man and his wife) producing fantastic old-skool RPGs, excellent stuff.
4. Omega Force - Tecmo Koei's internal studio behind Dynasty Warriors etc. - when they're good they're great.
3. Gust - variable but prolific, another Tecmo Koei studio, known for the Atelier series.
2. Squaresoft - just Squaresoft, not Square Enix, I mean back in the golden age (SNES through to PS1), Square was a synonym for quality back then and provided some of my fondest gaming memories.
1. Nintendo - I'm not a massive Nintendo fan, the PlayStation series and to a degree Sega consoles were more my bag, but they're consistently excellent when it comes to game design, with some fantastic, enduring characters.

Honourable mentions: Konami and Capcom (SNES through to PS2 era, back when they provided a wide stable of quality games across multiple genres), PopCap (again, back when they produced web-friendly games with 'deluxe' versions for home computer, before becoming the bloated F2P monstrosity they are now) and Tecmo (Deception series, Project Zero series).

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 10:25:06 pm »
1. Bethesda
2. Nintendo
3. Namco Pre merge with Bandai
4. Rockstar North
5. Pandemic

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 10:40:13 pm »
How could you not have Sega on there?

pizzasafari

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 10:53:30 pm »
This is a fun idea. I haven't really thought about it though so it's a challenge for me. Hmm. My favourites rather than objective best:

1. Squaresoft (Pre-Merge)
2. P-Studio
3. Spike Chunsoft
4. Bethesda
5. Platinum Games
Honourable Mentions: Team Andromeda/Smilebit, Pre-aneurysm Konami, Grasshopper Manufacture
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:11:20 am by pizzasafari »

stealthrush

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 12:11:37 am »
1. SEGA [AM2]
2. Nintendo
3. Capcom
4. Taito
5. SNK

Honorable Mention: Konami, Treasure, Squaresoft, Hudson-soft, Irem.

arkaneer

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 07:52:34 am »
Wow, so hard list to narrow down but here goes :

1. Blizzard Entertainment
2. From Software
3. Bethesda Game Studios
4. Nintendo
5. Platinum

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 10:50:08 am »
1 - Nintendo;
2 - Capcom;
3 - Konami;
4 - Sega;
5 - Square

Agozer

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 02:26:18 pm »
In no particular order: Platinum Games, Nintendo, Square, Namco, Atlus.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 06:38:04 pm »
I am one of the few people that is ever going to say EA Sports and Maxis. I have countless fun with most of EA Sports line of games. I due however also like Electronic Arts  but don't like it as a modern company as much as their retro list of video games, like Nuclear Strike for the PlayStation. I adore the first 3 The Sims series as well. but I don't like how EA games killed Maxis.

1: Maxis
2: EA Sports
3: Activision
4: EA Games
5: Blizzard
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ferraroso

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 06:51:45 pm »
1. SEGA [AM2]
2. Nintendo
3. Capcom
4. Taito
5. SNK

Honorable Mention: Konami, Treasure, Squaresoft, Hudson-soft, Irem.
For me, an almost perfect list, including the honorable mentions. The only thing I would do is to add Activision (due to all the long history of the company) somewhere.

shfan

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 07:07:32 pm »
Really interesting to see the range of favourites here, it's also gobsmacking to see so many quality developers I forgot (SNK, Taito, Namco, Spike Chunsoft). Ye Gods, so many games those guys developed which rocked my world back in the day.

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 09:40:13 am »
Blizzard
Squaresoft
Namco Bandai (pre and post merger)
Bethesda
Capcom

In no order.

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 06:13:14 pm »
Here's my Top 5:

5) Sega/Rare (Couldn't choose  ;D)
4) Ubisoft
3) Square Enix
2) Game Freak
1) Nintendo

Flashback2012

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 06:47:29 pm »
Hello everyone :D.
With the all the amazing developing studios and or publishers to grace the canvas of the video game art gallery.  Some are home run successes and some are failures but we all have our favorites.  :)
In your opinion.  What 5 companies produce the most gold in terms of epic games? :D
For me here is my golden 5.  If this company makes a game, odds are I will buy it lol.

5. UBISOFT
4. Naughty Dog
3. Tell Tale Games
2. Rockstar North
1. Nintendo

Honorable mentions:  Blizzard, Squaresoft/Enix, Insomniac, Activision

5. I liked Ubisoft better when they would publish stuff from Japan to reach the Western market instead of driving every last one of their popular franchises into the ground in the same vein that EA and Activision do.
4. No mention of their greatest effort, Way of the Warrior. You fair weather Naughty Dog fan you.  :P  ;)
3. Not bad
2. Bleh. I loathe giving Rockstar praise even though I begrudgingly admit they have a penchant for making impressive looking thug-simulators.  :P
1. They a'ight.  :P

1. SEGA [AM2+ All other teams/studios]
2. Nintendo
3. Capcom
4. Taito
5. SNK

Honorable Mention: Konami, Treasure, Squaresoft, Hudson-soft, Irem + Enix, Dimps, Blizzard, Data East, Technos, Game Arts.

Amended. Stealthrush is my good twin apparently.  ;D

I am one of the few people that is ever going to say EA Sports and Maxis. I have countless fun with most of EA Sports line of games. I due however also like Electronic Arts  but don't like it as a modern company as much as their retro list of video games, like Nuclear Strike for the PlayStation. I adore the first 3 The Sims series as well. but I don't like how EA games killed Maxis.

1: Maxis
2: EA Sports
3: Activision
4: EA Games
5: Blizzard

I knew there was something off about you.  :P  ;)