Author Topic: Your Opinion Of Super Nintendo Game And Console Prices Today  (Read 3251 times)

Your Opinion Of Super Nintendo Game And Console Prices Today
« on: April 04, 2018, 02:07:37 am »
I raved on another thread about how much I can't stand the current status of mostly every Super Nintendo game on the used cartridge only on every single flea market, convention and or even online.

If so, has anyone ever payed less then $10 on ANY NON sports game on the Super Nintendo/ SNES for the last lets say 4 years?

everywhere you look it seems like you only can find the singled out for $15 or more for even some of the lousy games

I said it once before I'll say it again Super Nintendo games are too overpriced and the games are not worth more than $10 a peice.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 04:07:46 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Your Opinion Of Super Nintendo Game And Console Prices Today
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 02:16:11 am »
if we're being real here, it's quite understandable that SNES games are priced the way they are, there being more saught over by more and more collectors. I have to agree with you that a lot of them are worth less then $10 (especially Thomas & friends), but the only way it can go sown in price is if they become more common and less saught after, taking a look at my SNES collection, the last time I payed less then $10 for a game was Vegas Stakes. I payed $8 around the late 2000's, and the cartidge was about a 6.5/10 in condition. Super Nintendo consoles on the other hand are cheap if you don't get the cables, don't get the controllers, and the console is severally yellowed (seen them at a flea market for $20-$30.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 02:23:32 am »
Luckily video game collecting is slowly dying and according to historical price graphs on Price Charting SNES prices have been in a long plateau period, bucking the trend of continuous sharp increases in prices we've been seeing since 2011 or so. I predict by 2020, maybe sooner we'll see a fairly significant price drop in the console overall.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 02:25:13 am »
So glad I got a lot of what I really wanted on SNES years before. Because this is totally true. I still don't have a lot of the RPGs, though, because those have always been a bit pricey. Luckily a lot of them were re-released on other consoles/handhelds, or through Wii Ware or something.

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 08:14:17 am »
Personally I have to disagree I have sold many snes games in recent times especially cib in excellent shape it sells very fast and It's not the kinda stuff that people keep to long unless your prices are unfair or the condition is just bad not to great.

Lose carts have remained the same value wise in the past few years that is. CIB excellent shape on the otherhand in the past few years have increased even titles such as super castlevania or link to the past here in europe by quite a bit if the condition is nice. Not to mention that foreign buyers who are looking are very aggresive in trying to get them and not shy of spending big It's kinda ridiculous really that people search for games worldwide while not even talking about ebay some even using google translate and I'm not talking only about top tier titles exclusively in this case. Cib in nice shape is not always available and pretty rare in the desired condition for allot of items these days.

Collectors can be quite desperate at times I've had some hilarious stories over the years.

That being said do we really need higher prices. People are always talking about that prices do not increase etc but than again think about the 2nd 1st tier rare games in the 500+ category

Allot of people in this hobby are not rich and there are some very passionate collectors out there who will otherwise never squire certain items. Of those less wealthy people some have to save up for a single item for years to finally aquire it meaning that they cannot buy anything else no birthday or christmas presents. They also have to deal with kids wifes who find the hobby ridiclous etc wich also slows things down for higher purchases ::) The more rare an item is the higher the chance that these passionate collectors will probably never aquire one since there are people while not many who can easily afford it and are rich. only if it is that rare an item might increase in value big time since the bigger spenders might not have it yet.

I'm pretty sure we can rest assured that prices of the normal and semi rare stuff wil either decrease, stay stable or increase a bit I do not expect a big rise in prices but I also not expect a major decrease since cib snes sells very nicely these days if the condition is there. Lose carts I'd say maybe but the majority is pretty cheap even of the better games It's only a mere fraction that has some decent value to be fair but than again to many 20$ for a retro game is an expensive thing indeed  :D

That being said retro games are now easily available to everyone thanks to these high prices. Would we really have roms and everdrives if prices were low not to mention many people would not be in this hobby. I'm pretty sure that the hyped games of today hagane wild guns etc would not even have good roms if any on pc to play if not for the high prices and thus potential interested players in the community of today not to mention that old roms of older game sites would not be maintained an would expire vanish since nobody uses them anymore.. Nintendo eshop snes mini would not be there. I'm pretty sure a very niche group would collect all the games but for many it would have been an unknown thing. Would be a pretty interesting world to see really if one were to be such a collector. Than again with such few collectors even for the more rare games there would be more games than collectors so that would work out pretty easily since nobody is interested in it.

I think zelda metroid and mario sure but allot of games would probably only be gotten by some who played it back in the day orm a a very niche market of some of the very old collectors not to mention that many would get over their child hood at some point since they will probably not get the other games that they never played. If the prices were low I think many people would rebuy their child hood with them games for a a short while and either keep or sell it on.

I personally would have probably be gone after my 20 - 30 childhood games orso while never discovering the other games if prices were cheap and i would not have such an expensive taste of child hood nostalgia since those games were harder to come by at the time. Not the most expensive things but prices ranging from 30 - 70 euro's is pretty pricy I'd say if one has less money. You would expect allot less from used games. Just imagine if games were 5 to 10 $ at most it would be totally different everyone could buy the games he had as a kid and since it is so easily available many would not go on. It would be a short nostalgia moments to many I'd figure since many would not give other titles a chance since there is not much known about it.  Would apply to me personally and I can't imagine my friends doing it any different since we did play simular games back in the day.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:28:34 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:33:10 am »
I bought in-box copies of Alien Vs. Predator, Desert Strike, and Wolfenstein 3D for a buck each about 3-4 years ago at a yard sale.

Right now the SNES is fully in the spotlight of nostalgia, but it's starting to move over to the PlayStation and N64. I imagine in a few years, we'll see prices start to come down. Back to reasonable levels? Probably not- even younger collectors lacking timely experience with the games have had 'these are good & valuable' hammered into their brains, that's not going away. There is definitely a re-settlement coming though, as we start to see what people who are playing as opposed to merely collecting/investing are willing to pay.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 07:35:02 pm »
Newer bigger and positively even better games in my opinion are going for a lot less for just about every single console except the Super Nintendo

Usually it is the rich that purchase Super Nintendo games and NEO GEO. Super Nintendo games I just can't get into in which is why. I think they should go down in price unless your paying for more then one game per cartridge. there are better games in my opinion going for a lot less.

Challenge and frustration should not cost an arm and a leg. at least NES games are not as high as the Super Nintendo.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:36:39 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 05:42:28 am »
Newer bigger and positively even better games in my opinion are going for a lot less for just about every single console except the Super Nintendo

Usually it is the rich that purchase Super Nintendo games and NEO GEO. Super Nintendo games I just can't get into in which is why. I think they should go down in price unless your paying for more then one game per cartridge. there are better games in my opinion going for a lot less.

Challenge and frustration should not cost an arm and a leg. at least NES games are not as high as the Super Nintendo.

If your going cib I can understand the frustration but lose carts aren't that pricy for the most part.

It is unfortunate that titles such as chrono trigger and earthbound even lose are pricy I'll give it that.

That being said chrono trigger is better played on the ps1 or ds since they have more features and content compared to the original on the snes.

Not to mention for gameplay sake just buy an everdrive same experience as the original better than emulation on pc or another console withouth the expense of many games.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:50:53 am by sworddude »

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 10:10:21 am »
The current scene is a far cry from the glory days, that's for sure.  Then again, the market/hobby basically shit the bed at some point in the late 90s-early 2000s when the common phrase "older games" became retro games & every clueless kid with a camera jumped on the YouTube train.

Right up until about 15-20 years ago, nearly every yard sale and flea overflowed with cartridges.  Things like ebay - and a bit later YouTube - put an end to this.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 04:13:52 pm »
That being said chrono trigger is better played on the ps1 or ds since they have more features and content compared to the original on the snes.

That's another big thing with SNES stuff: most of the big titles have been rereleased in one form or another over the years and those can be obtained much cheaper. And that's not even factoring in how easy emulation is for those systems.

Really, the only reason to have retro carts is because you want to own the retro carts. If a person just wants to play them, there are so many more easier, cheaper options.

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 08:48:54 pm »
SNES is brutal to collect for if you are going complete- so many games that aren't necessarily rare but command $100+ prices. Still, I'd say that its not too bad, average boxed game around here goes for 20 to 30, average loose around 8 or 9 dollars, though those aren't always the games you would want to play. Other people have already mentioned it in the thread, but there are alternate cheaper means to play the vast majority of truly great SNES games. And, beyond that, if a game really is truly great it will probably give you more than ten dollars worth of pleasure anyway. I'd actually say that SNES prices are at about what the market can bear right now, they've held steady for two or so years now, perhaps with a slight decline.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 08:43:01 am »
I think the prices of most SNES games are generally pretty reasonable.  There are a few popular titles that I would consider "prohibitively expensive", like Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mega Man X3.  Even the common popular games tend to cap out around $30-40 which is pretty fair for a game that everyone wants to play.

The biggest problem with market price (at least in my area) is people who don't understand that the games don't intrinsically have value just because they are SNES games.  And that generally comes from the same people who try to sell Madden from 2 years ago for $15-20.  "What do you mean you won't pay $10 for -Sports Game 7-?  People are selling them Marios for $20-30!"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 12:48:39 pm »
I don't know where some you get the idea that loose carts haven't increased in price. You must have not been collecting for very long, if you think that.

I used to be able to go like any thrift shop, flea market, or used music shop and find loose SNES carts for under $10 on a regular basis. And I mean stuff like Mario and Zelda, not sports titles or bad platformers.

Now, unless it is a cheap licensed game or a sports game, you aren't even gonna find them loose for under $10, and thrift shops and such are lucky to even have sports SNES titles when you walk in anymore. Unless you get lucky and find that one yard sale or thrift shop run by a little old lady that has no clue.

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 01:43:01 pm »
I don't know where some you get the idea that loose carts haven't increased in price. You must have not been collecting for very long, if you think that.

I used to be able to go like any thrift shop, flea market, or used music shop and find loose SNES carts for under $10 on a regular basis. And I mean stuff like Mario and Zelda, not sports titles or bad platformers.

Now, unless it is a cheap licensed game or a sports game, you aren't even gonna find them loose for under $10, and thrift shops and such are lucky to even have sports SNES titles when you walk in anymore. Unless you get lucky and find that one yard sale or thrift shop run by a little old lady that has no clue.

Were talking about the past few years. It's pretty obvious years ago many titles were cheap since allot less people were looking for them but I was pretty sure many people here would need no explanation for that considering this topic is about people complaining about the high prices wich includes lose carts of today and that prices were cheap back than  

Your logic is pretty hard to understand for something this obvious ::)

Would love for it to be true though since prices would be cheap in today's market with your logic since no chances have happened for lose carts.

lose carts of the good games have stayed more or less the same value wise as far as the past 2 to 3 years go. Cib that Is another story though if the condition is there.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:27:20 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 03:06:23 pm »
What?

The title of the thread is about Super Nintendo prices "Today". "Your Opinion Of Super Nintendo Game And Console Prices Today"

That means, as opposed to the past...that's not hard to understand at all. Everyone else seemed to understand just fine and responded as such. No logic needed. Just simple reading comprehension.