Author Topic: Nintendo Item Numbers  (Read 1041 times)

Nintendo Item Numbers
« on: April 04, 2018, 02:43:41 pm »
I have a question regarding item numbers on Nintendo games.

I have some instances for N64 games and GBA games where there is an [EU] version of the game and the item number on the box and the manual end on "NEU6" (Nintendo Europe 6 languages) because there are six languages on the box and in the manual.

The Cartridge has a different item Number it always ends on "EUR" The games are in the database with the ending "EUR" but wouldn't it be more precise to use the item number on the box and manual?

For example if there is a scandinavian version, the cartridge item Number could also end on "EUR"

The official style guide only tells me: "Item numbers are the Factory assigned number given to each product. As such, these are found on the packaging or the Cart/Disc themselves."

thank you for your help

EDIT: I have a perfect example why "EUR" is not enough right here:

I have a copy of Sword of Mana (GBA) the box says AGB-AVSX-NFRG (box text is FRench and German). The Cartridge says AGB-AVSX-EUR

Now there is another version in our database: https://vgcollect.com/item/49573 you can see it is an Englisch and Dutch version. I don't know the item Number inside the Box but it will be different from mine with "NFRG" but the cartridge also says "AGB-AVSX-EUR"

here is the box in higher resolution:
 https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/914616-sword-of-mana/images/127521

here you can see the NFRG version

http://www.nintandbox.net/images/coversproject/gba/SwordOfMana_GBA-Box_EUR(fr-de)_11613.jpg
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:39:44 pm by xenorider »

Agozer

Re: Nintendo Item Numbers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 04:42:28 pm »
I always use the item/catalog number that is printed on the back of the box. I feel that entries that use the catalog number printed on the cart are wrong should be changed to what is printed on the box.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:44:23 pm by Agozer »

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:50:37 pm »
But the Code on the back of the box is missing the country code ending completely :o

Agozer

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 06:03:07 pm »
For your game (box text in French and Gernan), the catalog number is AGB-P-AVSX. That's all it is.
For the English and Dutch version, the catalog number is  AGB-P-AVSP.

Carts will always omit the 'P' and add EUR to denote that the cart is the EU one. Nintendo seems to be very fond of cataloging the packaging, the game, and the manual separately.

With most Nintendo games, the "official" catalog number is always found on the back of the box, either on the lower right or the lower left corner. Disregard all other catalog numbers that you might find elsewhere on the box, especially on the inner flaps and such.

EDIT: Wording.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:41:05 pm by Agozer »

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:35:23 am »
I thought that the otem number is always the same for the region.

I have two Starwing (SNES) versions. One German and one UK version. On the box it is SNSP-P-FO on both versions.

On the flaps inside the box its ending on NOE/SFRG and on UKV. If i would only use the item number on the back of the box I wouldn't be able to separate both releases

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 10:13:48 am »
Our default item number for an entry is the number (or letters I guess) from the back of the box. It was only until Nintendo started doing disc based releases (GameCube, Wii/U, Switch) that the full/true item number was seen on the back... this number is better for our uses than the shorter numbers on the backs of SNES, Gameboy, N64, etc.

Here is the dilemma when it comes to handling the database from the admin side. If there is no number on the entry and you make an edit to add one, if it looks correct, then it will be approved. BUT if you are changing an existing box back number to another number that is on a box side (or on the flap) it will likely get rejected solely because it is often difficult for us to verify this information.

Our database currently suffers the same issue most other sites and lists suffer, people only use the cart item number, which is why you will still see so many item listings with that number, in error. But it is a non-crticial error and we will accept having the cart number as the item number in order to have something on the entry.

Now if we had access to a master list of item numbers that not only showed the number from the back of the box, the number on the side and/or in the flap, and the number on the cart, it would be a lot easier than digging through Ebay and hoping to find the same exact release (and for Europe it is a big pain as some boxed items never show up, and whole regions never return results) in order to verify the info and HOPE+++ that the ebay seller is one of those ones that takes pictures of every angels and side.