Author Topic: Spotting a bootleg CDI game  (Read 1238 times)

Spotting a bootleg CDI game
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:22:17 pm »
Hey everyone,
I plan on buying some rare CD-I games. Before I do want to look into some ways to spot bootlegs. I know they're out there because I saw someone selling a reproduction of the Wand of Gamelon (the guy was straight forward that it was a repro).

sworddude

Re: Spotting a bootleg CDI game
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:25:58 pm »
Bootleg cdi games  :o I'm guessing for only the zelda's since there are more rare cdi games than those but yea gameplay wise your not missing much.

Those must be quite a rarity than again everything seems to get reproduced in the US allot faster when people see there is money to be made it doesn't go that fast in europe as a whole.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:53:44 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Flashback2012

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 06:56:36 pm »
Bootleg CD-I games? I never would have thought that was a thing. Well, let me clarify...boots being passed off as the real deal. I mean I have a burned copy of Zelda's Adventure that I got with my system years back but the seller did not hide the fact that it was a burn. The system bundle included all three LoZ CD-I games but only the rarest one wasn't authentic and the seller made no attempt to dress it up as such.  :P

tpugmire

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 07:31:45 pm »
How familiar are you with the CD-I in general?  Don’t get me wrong, I like the system but there’s no way I’d pay the prices for those rare games. CD-I software lacks any kind of copy protection, so pretty much anyone can burn discs if you can find the files. I’ve heard of some convincing repros too, some being passed off as originals. There is one seller on eBay that has tons of CD-I titles, he sells a lot of repros of prototypes that look very professional.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

sworddude

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:30:12 am »
How familiar are you with the CD-I in general?  Don’t get me wrong, I like the system but there’s no way I’d pay the prices for those rare games. CD-I software lacks any kind of copy protection, so pretty much anyone can burn discs if you can find the files. I’ve heard of some convincing repros too, some being passed off as originals. There is one seller on eBay that has tons of CD-I titles, he sells a lot of repros of prototypes that look very professional.

Prototypes of pretty much all consoles are very easy to copy If you collect those you really have to know what your doing ps1 dreamcast ps2 It's all the same.

I mean seriously though considering that most prototypes are pretty much blanc discs with some text written on it it is kinda hard to prove when it is legit or not I mean even legit prototypes look home made non professional especially in the early stages ::)

Prototypes of disc based systems are all easy to fake since the original isn't that complicated to begin with not to mention games easy to burn. It is far more easy to fool someone with prototypes than with reproductions legit games there are no specifics when your looking at prototypes It's all guess work what sort of equipment and materials would have been used at that point in time.

In allot of cases it is an employee who worked on the game who sold them for people to fully believe when it is 100% legit.

Are there any legit repro's of full games with manuals boxes and discs with full art of the zelda's etc now that is a repro if that were the case.

prototypes of carts are allot harder and you will need a certain investment but even than you could take a worthless prototype and put some rom inside put some stickers on it with a nametag of a nice game to make the value skyrocket.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:03:59 am by sworddude »

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 01:34:14 pm »
Zelda's Adventure (rare game, even here in NL) has a bootleg game, but the seller is honest about it. I dont know if buyers who sell them again are honest about it, but you can tell.

https://vgcollect.com/item/96019 Might be rare.

https://vgcollect.com/item/95931 Lots of demo disk are around.

Found the shop who sells them
http://www.retrogamelab.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=615 So the barcode has reproduction gaame disk on it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:48:58 pm by fazerco »

tpugmire

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 02:15:08 pm »
Those are pretty good looking repros. I wish the disc said reproduction on it too, and not just the case.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 04:35:58 pm »
Those are pretty good looking repros. I wish the disc said reproduction on it too, and not just the case.

It seems he used an alternative fake disc art. Looking at my own copy and Looking at the sold listings and original unsold listings. Obviously they could have chosen the legit disc art.

Also as far as the manual goes an original has 41 pages not just 8. The colour also seems a bit off as far as especially the front cover goes

Also as far as spotting bootlegs go. It really depends on the quality of the reproduction.

I've seen many people nit pick about details about one specific reproduction but that's pretty pointless in my opinion considering there are many different people who make reproductions and each has their own major or very minor flaws. You can't always use the same details on different reproductions.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:21:17 pm by sworddude »