Author Topic: Would you collect differently if you had tons of disposable income?  (Read 2406 times)

I don't want really want to pay market rate for things and it's more the fun of the hunt and getting a good deal on things that gives me satisfaction with collecting retro.

If I were dropping £30 a shot on sought after retro games on eBay I don't think I'd feel good about it, even if money were no object.

If I were wealthy I don't think I'd collect with much more vigor.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

I'd buy more.

No wouldn't change anything

sworddude

Personally I would get the sought after stuff wich I rarely get with my current ways of collection. Would also buy more to get the games that I want and dive into the old school merchandice stuff wich is always pricy not to mention collect for the neo geo and some other consoles than wich are pretty much impossible to get in deals anyways. Exclusive Import stuff wich I avoid would also be on my list

it would not really be that expensive anymore not to mention that your spare time would be far more valuable than waiting for deals to come up wich might result in never getting certain items.

If the hunt is your hobby I can imagine that things will not chance but if the hunt is not really the main thing in the hobby and you want to play certain games get a nice collection dive into old school nintendo merchandice etc I'm pretty sure most would spend allot more if money was no object deals are a waste of time than not to mention that you will not always get the stuff that you want that way.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:54:48 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

It really depends on how much more I made

20k to 40k more a year: I'd probably start collecting retro again, aiming to get as many of the games as I was after CIB. Of course I'd have to turn to ebay for this. I'd also probably start collecting for North American Saturn and Sega CD again.

40k to 60k more a year: I'd be able to afford a nice house at this point and would start collecting Arcade cabinets, including ones that take up a lot of space and that cost more. I'd probably on occassion pick up a pinball machine every few years if the price was right.

70k+ more a year: At this point i'd probably quit hunting games and just buy all the stuff I'd ever wanted off ebay. I'd also probably collect for consoles like the Neo Geo AES and PC Engine, two consoles I've actively avoided collecting for due to how expensive they can be to collect for.

Well, considering the main goal is to have lots of games to play, probably only a little bit! I'd buy more and I'd certainly seek out slightly more expensive things-having that freedom to just get whatever I want would certainly be nice, but I'd still slow down to make sure it doesn't get overwhelming.

If the hunt is your hobby I can imagine that things will not chance but if the hunt is not your hobby and you want to play certain games or get a nice collection dive into old school nintendo merchandice etc I'm pretty sure most would spend allot more if money was no object deals are a waste of time than.
I feel like if I had piles of money to throw around I'd be taking women to fancy restaurants or buying guitars or investing or taking stuff to the dry cleaners so I don't have to clean it myself or eating out for every meal.

My priority wouldn't be picking up old games if I had money to pursue other things.

I'd be collecting a bunch of games if I had a lot of cash to throw around.  Nothing crazy unless I got dumb money, but I would actually start buying from game stores directly, getting things I've wanted, instead of relying purely on trades, thrift shops, and flea markets.  Maybe afford an arcade cabinet or two with that.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

If I had unlimited money, I know exactly what I’d do.

My dream is to have a collection of arcade cabinets and pinball machines. I’d build an extension on the house, or a separate man cave, to keep everything.
Of course, a dream like that is just too expensive to happen in real life, unless I win the lottery or something.

I've found that as my disposable income has increased, I haven't increased my collecting of video games but instead increased my portfolio on what I collect. So instead of just video games, I'm getting more board/card games, vintage action figures, Lego sets, books, and so on.

Re: Would you collect differently if you had tons of disposable income?
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 03:15:25 am »
I would buy all of the many vary expensive common games that are actually high because of their fun or fan value. but if I ate out less I would currently have maybe $100 US more
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 03:33:16 am »
If the hunt is your hobby I can imagine that things will not chance but if the hunt is not your hobby and you want to play certain games or get a nice collection dive into old school nintendo merchandice etc I'm pretty sure most would spend allot more if money was no object deals are a waste of time than.
I feel like if I had piles of money to throw around I'd be taking women to fancy restaurants or buying guitars or investing or taking stuff to the dry cleaners so I don't have to clean it myself or eating out for every meal.

My priority wouldn't be picking up old games if I had money to pursue other things.

if you had tons of money you could do both

It doesn't take to much time to look at ebay to buy a some things here and there.

If it's your hobby I'm pretty sure allot will at least buy more than they do now without any effort or hesitation.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 06:00:08 am »
We can dream eh?

*gets back to paying a mortgage*

insettasport

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 10:37:58 am »
Absolutely. The manager at the local game store would be able to buy a Mercedes with how much I'd spend there, haha. :P

azure

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 11:34:16 am »
It really wouldn't change how I collect, that kind of money would go towards other things for my general livelihood.

I would go ahead and get the remaining GCN titles I would like, most likely though!