Author Topic: Do you still love your purchases after you buy them?  (Read 1040 times)

Do you still love your purchases after you buy them?
« on: June 04, 2018, 04:10:18 am »
Or do you get a high from finding something and/or getting a good deal then put it away and stop thinking about it?

This is a pretty well known psychological thing - wanting what you don’t have. Once you have it, it ceases to be what you don’t have and you care about it far less.

Are you getting ongoing satisfaction when you make purchases for your collection or do you just immediately crave the next thing you don’t have?

Re: Do you still love your purchases after you buy them?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:07:26 am »
Depends- it was awesome to discover my $1 in-box copy of Wolfenstein 3D for SNES was worth notably more than a dollar... but Wolfenstein is not a favorite title, so it got shelved pretty quickly. Picking up a copy of Magic Knight Rayearth for Saturn within my budget, though? I played that all they way through after I got it, becuase it's been on my want list since I was 12.

I don't worry about it much, becuase it's nice to come back later when I can't afford to be making new accquistions, dig though the backlog, and get excited all over again when I find something good I'd put away.

kypherion

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 02:40:44 pm »
Depends on the purchase. For the most part yeah. Some I like more than others but I'm always looking to increase my collection.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:25:36 pm »
I certainly appreciate the games I buy more than I used to since most games I buy I play right after or shortly after I buy them. Before that however, unless it was some game that I highly desired, finding a rare game or one that I had on my want list did very little for me after giving the store or person my money and walking away from it. I liked looking at my games on a shelf, but most of the individual games did very little for me in knowing that I owned them.
If you can't tell, I'm not really a hardcore collector anymore like I used to be. I still do technically collect, but I am no longer actively hunting down a huge laundry list of games that would always be updated with more titles as soon as I got close to completing it. I buy games here and there that I really want, but no more do I vacuum collect like I used to. I am way happier with my mode of collecting now and I feel like I appreciate the games I purchase way more as well.

kashell

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:18:25 am »
Depends on the purchase. For the most part yeah. Some I like more than others but I'm always looking to increase my collection.

Basically this.

I didn't buy something just to fill space.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:00:14 am »

Basically this.

*looks for shovelware in your collection*

What about Skiing, RealSports Football, Football and Grand Prix on Atari 2600?
What about those Dance Dance Revolution PS2 games?

You totally bought those just to fill space.

Exposed.

;D ;)

kashell

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 09:11:55 am »

Basically this.

Exposed.

;D ;)
D'oh! Caught!

But, I can shed some light them.

DDR - I'm a huge DDR fan. Love it. I'll play it at least once a week since I have an awesome pad for it. Usually, if an arcade has some sort of DDR that's where I head first.

Atari stuffles - Those and the rest of the Atari games were found while we were cleaning the attic. Inside a shoebox I see a slew of Atari games and the console. They're not very fun, but it's a fun part of history.

telly

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 11:45:56 am »

Basically this.

Exposed.

;D ;)
DDR - I'm a huge DDR fan. Love it. I'll play it at least once a week since I have an awesome pad for it. Usually, if an arcade has some sort of DDR that's where I head first.

It's how Kash maintains his awesome bod. :o
Currently Playing:
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch), Super Paper Mario (Wii)

My music collection | My Backloggery