Author Topic: Your Least Favorite Gaming Device  (Read 2695 times)

Your Least Favorite Gaming Device
« on: June 08, 2018, 03:26:57 pm »
I am not sure where the older threads are so I made a new one.

Out of all I owned in my life the Gameboy Advance SP was the least fun for me. I never really got into this device. All other handhelds like the Sega Game Gear and the Nintendo Gameboy I did enjoy though.

I was not as into gaming at the time I had it so maybe that was why. Or because I had a lot of games that were not fun.

One of them was Lord Of The Rings The Return Of The King. I also had Duke Nukem Advance, and Hot Wheels Racing, also someone loaned me Sonic The Hedgehog for the Gameboy Advance and never wanted it back.

I know there is another thread somewhere on this. But out of all gaming period which PC? device? console? or handheld? is your least favorite? of what you actually remember playing a game on.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:33:24 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Your Least Favorite Gaming Device
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 03:43:49 pm »
I LOVE the GBA. Best handheld of all-time. So many great original games, so many great ports of 8-bit and 16-bit titles, and FINALLY a backlit screen on a Game Boy! Plus it's backwards compatible, opening up an entire new library of games that look even better on the GBA with the backlit screen than it did on the original hardware.

My least favorite console, that I've actually played, is the N64. I just HATE that controller so freaking much. And I don't like that it's missing RPGs and shoot-em ups, my two favorite genres.

I know there are much worse consoles out there, but personally, I haven't played most of the super-rare consoles like Pippin or Atari 5200.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:04:25 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 03:51:33 pm »
Every handheld ever made.  Handhelds have always been the worst way to play games to me.  They have their place when you are away from home and it's your only option, but I've never understood people who actively enjoyed playing handheld games at home when they have a console.  The one downside to this, is that I've missed many game series that were handheld only.

kashell

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 03:54:39 pm »
Xbox One.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 04:05:58 pm »
Out of what I own I would say N64.

pizzasafari

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 04:10:36 pm »
I echo all handhelds with the exception of Switch (if it counts) and Vita. The Vita does just enough right to be enjoyable despite being a handheld and I have almost no complaints with the Switch in handheld mode.

My least favourite handheld is probably either DS or 3DS. I can't stand the things. Having two screens is really distracting, stylus controls are balls, as with most handhelds the screens are too small and the 3DS is far too quiet. Playing 3DS games with headphones you may as well have the thing muted. Both are also incredibly uncomfortable to hold. And I hate when devs centre the entire console around a gimmick that serves no purpose other than 'impressing' the player, i.e. 3DS with its awful 3D.

This one isn't a hardware issue (kind of) but because handhelds are so much weaker in terms of hardware than home consoles of their gen very few third party developers seem to take them seriously, and the Nintendo of the Wii/DS/3DS era was far from my cup of tea so I had very little reason to care about their first party games. There are a very small handful of original DS games that I love but not enough. Can't think of any 3DS exclusives that I really care much for.

Very very close dishonourable mention for the Wii. It's like they forgot left-handed people exist when they made the thing. It's borderline unplayable for me. Even if I wasn't a leftie waggle controls can suck a dick, all they do is force you out of your comfortable position to swing your arm around like an idiot just to open a damn door. And there's more shovelware on the thing than actual games.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:13:48 pm by pizzasafari »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 04:39:14 pm »
^ But is that a problem exclusive to Wii?

I mean the joystick in the left hand for nearly all controllers.

pizzasafari

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 04:52:24 pm »
^ But then you have to hold the nunchuck in your right hand, so you're moving around using your right thumb which feels really unnatural and I can't get used to it. Also a lot of games are specifically designed with right hand play in mind, like Red Steel 2, and I'd assume Skyward Sword (though I haven't played it so I'm just guessing there). Which sucks because Red Steel 2 is something I probably would have had a lot of fun with.

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 04:54:33 pm »
Wii and Wii U are certainly some of the worst, if we don’t include minor, never really popular, or obscure systems like Ouya.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 04:57:48 pm »
^ But then you have to hold the nunchuck in your right hand, so you're moving around using your right thumb which feels really unnatural and I can't get used to it. Also a lot of games are specifically designed with right hand play in mind, like Red Steel 2, and I'd assume Skyward Sword (though I haven't played it so I'm just guessing there). Which sucks because Red Steel 2 is something I probably would have had a lot of fun with.

Nah, it feels unnatural for right-handed people, too. The Wii Mote/Nunchuk set-up is just stupid all the way around.

pizzasafari

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 05:03:44 pm »
Nah, it feels unnatural for right-handed people, too. The Wii Mote/Nunchuk set-up is just stupid all the way around.

Oh really? I wouldn't have guessed that but that makes sense. Just remembered though the little plug-in controller is somehow nearly as bad as the default setup, I don't know what species' hands that thing was designed for but it wasn't ours.

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 05:09:03 pm »
Wii and Wii U are certainly some of the worst, if we don’t include minor, never really popular, or obscure systems like Ouya.

I thought the Wii U gamepad was great lol I find it funny that I thought the Wii U was great, but was the failed system, and the Wii was so successful, but I hated it and the Wiimote, which is one of the worst controllers Nintendo has made, second only to the N64.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 05:37:12 pm »
I LOVE the GBA. Best handheld of all-time. So many great original games, so many great ports of 8-bit and 16-bit titles, and FINALLY a backlit screen on a Game Boy! Plus it's backwards compatible, opening up an entire new library of games that look even better on the GBA with the backlit screen than it did on the original hardware.

I second this statement. and I'll choose the 3do as my least favorite.

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 05:54:12 pm »
CDi no contest

For many of the wii exclusive games the controller is perfectly fine not to mention that games like xenoblade have a pro controller.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Agozer

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 05:55:58 pm »
I have to say, from all the consoles I've played on... as much as a love my Wii games, the Remote + Nunchuck control scheme really angers me. I happen to be left-handed which often makes things worse. Why some games refused to support the Classic Controller Pro is beyond me.  I have no beef with the WiiU's gamepad. It's quite excellent really.

I have no problem with most handhelds, having owned the original GameBoy and now owning a 3DS. I was well aware back in the day that some GameBoy ports were utterly terrible, though.

I haven't played on any of the truly horrible devices, but I've heard that the 3DO and the Virtual Boy were something exceptionally terrible, from the games to the controls.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:01:41 am by Agozer »