Author Topic: E3 2018: Bethesda  (Read 2274 times)

Re: E3 2018: Bethesda
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 01:31:32 am »
There's not a single good reason to think that Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield will be what Fallout 76 is.  I was harsh on the show myself, but it's clear that what they are doing with Fallout 76 is it's own thing, to try something different for the series, which I don't blame them for doing.  I'm unsure of it at the moment, but Bethesda has been a big proponent of pushing singleplayer/offline experiences and show that well with this show.  We are getting that with Rage 2, with Doom Eternal, with the Wolfenstein thing, Todd specifically said that Starfield was a singleplayer experience, and there's no reason to think Elder Scrolls 6 is going to have some required online aspect.

Considering we know nothing about Starfield or ES6, I'll believe it when I see it. All I heard tonight was online, online, mobile, online, mobile, and I wouldn't expect a game like Doom or Wolfenstein to be always online given the types of games they are. Sure, they will probably have an online multiplayer component, all FPS games do, but I certainly don't expect it inside the single player mode. I'm mostly worried about future Bethesda RPGs which is their main money maker, and Fallout 76 seems like a harbinger for things to come. I might be completely wring, and I hope so badly that I am. But until I hear it from one of the big wigs at Bethesda that these games will be single player, offline then I can't help but be concerned.

And regardless of whether they will be offline or not, it doesn't change the fact that Bethesda were being assholes to the very people that keep them in business tonight.

Bethesda getting too snarky about complaints of their games is one thing, but I'm just gonna say you are reading into this in a way that I don't think anyone else is.  Bethesda has always been big about pushing solid singleplayer/offline experiences.  It's clearly seen in their game lineup.  Yeah they have some mobile and online stuff they do on the side, but they are primarily about good singleplayer.  Prey, Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Fallout, Rage, Elder Scrolls, etc...They have a history for sure.  They aren't a company I would ever worry about abandoning their singleplayer games.

After thinking about it for awhile, kinda cooling down, I do feel like I was projecting my confusion with Fallout 76 on the entire show.  Looking back, while I'm not the biggest Doom fan, and I can't really get too hyped for Rage 2 going off an underwhelming first game, it was a pretty even split between their online/mobile stuff and what are all likely general singleplayer experiences.  That doesn't really make for a bad show for me, I just need to try and figure out more on Fallout 76, so hopefully they'll explain more soon and get deeper into detail.

maximo310

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 01:59:12 am »
Bethesda is really out of touch with customer compliants, and that's probably why some people have issues with them, including myself. It's especially bad to joke about " look at these guys complaining about a few minor bugs" when their track record from the last 10 years has been less than stellar when it comes to bugs for their rpgs, and then act like an online only fallout releasing in november ( w/ 1 beta) will go over fine w/o any issues. Not to mention that they defintely have the money to be invest in a new engine, instead of extending a very dated 12 yr old engine from oblivion days, but prefer to push online/mobile instead.

Doom 2 was cool at least.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 02:34:51 pm »
They weren't being arrogant at all. They were being the exact opposite of arrogant. They were poking fun at themselves and having a good time with it. Which endeared me to the company, even more. They made fun of themselves for all the Skyrim releases. They made fun of themselves about their buggy games, and then proceeded to say they'd do more about that. Most companies just ignore their naysayers all together.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 02:38:17 pm »
The biggest thing I got from the show was Elder Scrolls 6. Cannot wait! Glad to hear it's happening, actually, and they aren't just focusing on Fallout and ES Online. But being that it was just a quick teaser, we have a long time to wait.

The most interesting part of that announcement, though, is that it's a "next-gen" title. We know Microsoft doesn't have a new console on the horizon after their presentation, Nintendo just released the Switch last year, so I seriously doubt they have a new console waiting in the wings. And no way it's coming out for Atari Box...Which just leaves Sony. We've heard rumbling about the PS5 online...does this mean we're getting a PS5 announcement in their show? I'll definitely be watching with bated breath!

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 03:30:57 pm »
The biggest thing I got from the show was Elder Scrolls 6. Cannot wait! Glad to hear it's happening, actually, and they aren't just focusing on Fallout and ES Online. But being that it was just a quick teaser, we have a long time to wait.

The most interesting part of that announcement, though, is that it's a "next-gen" title. We know Microsoft doesn't have a new console on the horizon after their presentation, Nintendo just released the Switch last year, so I seriously doubt they have a new console waiting in the wings. And no way it's coming out for Atari Box...Which just leaves Sony. We've heard rumbling about the PS5 online...does this mean we're getting a PS5 announcement in their show? I'll definitely be watching with bated breath!

To me that seems less about "next gen consoles" and more "next generation of our engine".  That overhaul they've been needing for abit now.

kashell

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 03:53:07 pm »
Yeesh. I'm glad I'm not a Bethesda fan. This company...

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 04:55:08 pm »
Todd Howard just said that Fallout 76 was going to be a games as a service type thing and no mods at launch.  Also no single player.

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 05:01:52 pm »
Todd Howard just said that Fallout 76 was going to be a games as a service type thing and no mods at launch.  Also no single player.

What I expected, I just need to know if it'll have a PVE only option.

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 05:05:03 pm »

The way he described it it sounded like GTA V online where you go invulnerable.

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 05:32:49 pm »

The way he described it it sounded like GTA V online where you go invulnerable.

As long as I have a chance to to play the game and not worry about getting wrecked by other players often, I'll be okay with this game.

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 06:23:41 pm »
re-evaluated Bethesda.