Author Topic: E3 2018: Bethesda  (Read 2280 times)

E3 2018: Bethesda
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:09:43 pm »
I'm pretty excited for this one.  Bethesda has a nice batch of consistently good properties they can show off.

Rage 2 was a surprise announcement, but I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic shooters.  We will learn what Fallout 76 is, which is rumored to be an online survival game. There's whatever "Starfield" is, said to be some big scifi game.  People are still craving to get Elder Scrolls 6 and there's other properties they could talk about, such as the Doom sequel.

The Bethesda event is 9:30pm EST on Sunday.

------------------------------------------------------------

-Rage 2 Spring 2019.
-Elder Scrolls Legends getting a visual overhaul and will be released on stuff like Switch.
-Elder Scrolls Online related things.
-Doom: Eternal.  A sequel, will get a full reveal at Quakecon.
-Prey update out tonight.  Prey DLC coming that offers up a randomized challenge mode.
-Wolfenstein: Youngblood.  Set in 1980's Paris with BJ's twin daughters.
-Fallout 76 confirmed as an online multiplayer experience, I think kinda like what GTAV does with theirs.  I'm very unsure.  November 2018 release.
-Fallout Shelter on PS4 and Switch tonight.
-Elder Scrolls Blades mobile game, VR support, multiple releases, Fall 2018.  Free to Play.
-Starfield confirmed.  Scifi singleplayer RPG.
-Elder Scrolls 6 confirmed.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:27:06 pm by kamikazekeeg »

Re: E3 2018: Bethesda
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 09:18:28 pm »
If Doom 2 gets announced I will be insanely excited. If Elder Scrolls 6 gets announced I will literally scream in excitement. I give Doom 2 a 40% chance of showing up and Elder Scrolls 6 a 10% chance, but who knows. Other than that I'm not too excited about Fallout 76, Rage 2, or Elder Scrolls Online, which they will assuredly talk about. Hopefully there is more talk about Quake Champions which would be a decent consolation if nothing else for me.

hexen

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:45:58 pm »
I am prepared for my yearly disappointment. Fallout 76 is probably going to be a dumb 'gaming as a service' thing that isn't a good single player game and they aren't going to give us Elder Scrolls 6 because although it would print money, it doesn't have the same POTENTIAL of printing money as a 'gaming as a service' thing.

I don't care about anything else they make. The next Elder Scrolls is probably gonna be a battle royal game.

I don't know if you can tell, but I am a tiiiiiiny bit pessimistic about the modern gaming industry.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

pizzasafari

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 02:48:13 pm »
inb4 Skyrim for Android and iOS

I'm really interested in that Starfield game. A Bethesda RPG in space sounds like a dream come true.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 06:01:10 pm »

I'm really interested in that Starfield game. A Bethesda RPG in space sounds like a dream come true.

I hope for more on Starfield as well.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 07:20:08 pm »

I hope for more on Starfield as well.

Bethesda could really take over the open world RPG market if it's a scifi RPG.  Elder Scrolls for fantasy, Fallout for alt-history post-apocalypse, and Starfield for SPACE!

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 09:37:10 pm »
Rage 2 showing, starting with an Andrew W.K. musical number lol I like Andrew W.K., but no one wants this.  The game is a mix of Doom gameplay and Mad Max open world, as these devs worked on Mad Max before this. Spring 2019.

Elders Scrolls: Legends, the card game is getting a visual overhaul, and will get released on stuff like Switch.  With a Bethesda account, there is cross-saving, so can play it on whatever thing you got it on.

Elder Scrolls Online stuff.

Doom: Eternal.  Sequel.  Full reveal at Quakecon.

Something for Quake Champions.

Prey update out tonight.  Prey DLC.  Some sort of randomized mode where you play through some moonbase simulation.  Not super interested in that.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood.  Set in the 1980's with BJ's twin daughters.  Odd idea, because Wolfenstein 2 left off with BJ preparing to take the Nazi's down in the USA.  Feels weird to make sequel DLC with that in mind.

Fallout 76 is an online multiplayer game, though you can play totally solo also.  I'm not 100% sure on this game. November 2018 release.

Fallout Shelter on PS4 and Switch tonight.

Elder Scrolls Blades mobile game.  Fall 2018.  Free to Play.

Starfield, their first new property in 25 years.

Elder Scrolls 6 confirmed.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:55:04 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 10:41:08 pm »
Welp there goes the fallout series.  You know it is bad when rage 2 is more appealing.

hexen

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 10:49:54 pm »
Awesome!!! The only company that makes my favorite genre of game is never going to make another real one again!!!

Edit: Guess I was wrong, too bad it's many years away... will we make it to a decade at 2021? Place your bets now!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:55:47 pm by hexen »
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 10:56:49 pm »
Awesome!!! The only company that makes my favorite genre of game is never going to make another real one again!!!

Yeah not even hyped for Elders Scrolls 6 any more after seeing the Fallout 76 Trailer

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 11:04:51 pm »

Yeah not even hyped for Elders Scrolls 6 any more after seeing the Fallout 76 Trailer

Pretty much this. I'm going to have to deal with douche bags online trying to kill me constantly for my loot or trolling me while I'm trying to play the story. This is a pretty slippery slope Bethesda is taking their games, and sadly I'm about a fraction as excited for Elder Scrolls 6 than I thought I would be because of the info on Fallout 76.

On a sidenote about Elder Scrolls 6, it was already confirmed over a year ago that it was in development, and them throwing together some ultra generic teaser and showing Elder Scrolls VI in front of a fantasy 3D landscape is literally telling us nothing that we already didn't know. They should have at least given us the official name for the game, at least that would have been something new, but instead we got something that a random person on youtube could have made for clicks. This is not the way I wanted this game to show up at E3 and I honestly feel more irritated and concerned about ES6 than I do excited right now.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 11:08:14 pm »
That was a mixed bag for me.  Most of what they showed of Fallout 76 looks great, it's simply an issue with the online that has left me confused.  I'm into it, but I need to see more to get a better grasp of that aspect.

Doom Eternal will be fine, the Wolfenstein: Youngblood game (DLC? Standalone Expansion?) will be fine, and Rage 2 will be fine.  I really wasn't blown away by this show.  Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 were fine to know about, but are basically nothing.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 12:47:29 am »
Bethesda's E3 2018 Press Conference: C-

I've never watched a conference where I felt like a company blatantly disrespected and shit all over their fans more than this one. The amount of hubris Bethesda showed during their conference was astounding. Whether it was mocking people who've wanting Elder Scrolls VI for years, or people who've criticized Bethesda's reputation for releasing very buggy, incomplete games, they never ceased to undermine and disrespect these people. On top of that, their "teaser" for ES6 literally showed us and told us nothing that we didn't already know, as if mocking the fans with an empty gesture to shut us up. Oh, and let's not forget Bethesda's campaign to destroy the single player, offline RPG by requiring an online connection for games you can supposedly play by yourself.

Bethesda's fan trolling and insults, as well as an over emphasis on mobile games overshadowed what would have been a huge positive for me which was the announcement of Doom Eternity. Other than that there wasn't anything else that was exciting or interesting enough coming out in the near future that had me excited enough to forget about their douche baggery on display tonight.

Going back to Elder Scrolls VI as well as their new IP Starfield, my hopes that these will be games I'll want to buy, play and enjoy are all but extinguished. Bethesda is clearly trying to move all there games to an always online format, even when they insist a game can still be played by yourself. If they wanted to give me and countless others assurance they'd tell us that we could completely play offline and still have access to 100% of what the game has to offer, but clearly this won't be the case, or even possible most likely. While we know nothing about Starfield or ES6, I don't think it is an unfair assumption given the state of Bethesda that offline single player play will even be an option. Even if these games received online modes separate from the main story campaign, I'd be okay with that, but what they're trying to do if Fallout 76 is any indication is make online gaming something everyone has to deal with even if they don't want to. What this has done is completely killed my hype for Elder Scrolls 6, which was possibly my number 1 most hyped game before tonight's conference. It goes without saying that I really couldn't care less about Starfield now, not that it had any reputation for me to get hyped on in the first place.

I'm a hair from boycotting Bethesda and if Elder Scrolls VI is announced to be an always online game then I most certainly will never buy a new Bethesda game ever again, or at least until they change the course of their misguided ambition to make their RPGs online always.

EDIT: I have re-evaluated this conference as well and I am giving Bethesda some slack and see that I may have been to hard on them. I still feel like there was some level of disrespect to their fans and also can only see the ES6 teaser as a huge "shut the hell up already!" but overall I don't feel as cynical about Bethesda's intentions. With that said, I still thought the only things worth getting hyped for were Doom Eternity and the Wolfenstein expansion/sequel. Not enough was shown of Starfield and I still feel like it's BS they're making a Fallout game that is always online and multiplayer focused. But for what it is, the conference wasn't as bad as I originally saw it. I'll give it a C-, which I feel is more than fair.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:23:17 pm by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 12:59:31 am »
There's not a single good reason to think that Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield will be what Fallout 76 is.  I was harsh on the show myself, but it's clear that what they are doing with Fallout 76 is it's own thing, to try something different for the series, which I don't blame them for doing.  I'm unsure of it at the moment, but Bethesda has been a big proponent of pushing singleplayer/offline experiences and show that well with this show.  We are getting that with Rage 2, with Doom Eternal, with the Wolfenstein thing, Todd specifically said that Starfield was a singleplayer experience, and there's no reason to think Elder Scrolls 6 is going to have some required online aspect. 

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 01:10:51 am »
There's not a single good reason to think that Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield will be what Fallout 76 is.  I was harsh on the show myself, but it's clear that what they are doing with Fallout 76 is it's own thing, to try something different for the series, which I don't blame them for doing.  I'm unsure of it at the moment, but Bethesda has been a big proponent of pushing singleplayer/offline experiences and show that well with this show.  We are getting that with Rage 2, with Doom Eternal, with the Wolfenstein thing, Todd specifically said that Starfield was a singleplayer experience, and there's no reason to think Elder Scrolls 6 is going to have some required online aspect.

Considering we know nothing about Starfield or ES6, I'll believe it when I see it. All I heard tonight was online, online, mobile, online, mobile, and I wouldn't expect a game like Doom or Wolfenstein to be always online given the types of games they are. Sure, they will probably have an online multiplayer component, all FPS games do, but I certainly don't expect it inside the single player mode. I'm mostly worried about future Bethesda RPGs which is their main money maker, and Fallout 76 seems like a harbinger for things to come. I might be completely wring, and I hope so badly that I am. But until I hear it from one of the big wigs at Bethesda that these games will be single player, offline then I can't help but be concerned.

And regardless of whether they will be offline or not, it doesn't change the fact that Bethesda were being assholes to the very people that keep them in business tonight.