Author Topic: A gaming dilemma  (Read 2476 times)

pizzasafari

A gaming dilemma
« on: June 15, 2018, 10:42:34 pm »
A fun little dilemma for you.

If you had to choose between only ever being able to play games you've currently already played for the rest of your life, and never being able to play a new game ever again, or never again being able to play a game that has already been released as of today, and only ever being able to play games that are released from tomorrow onwards, which would you pick?

Keep your beloved classics and never be able to experience potentially amazing future releases, or cut yourself off from your old loves and games you regularly play in the hopes that new experiences in the future hold up to them?

I don't want to influence your answers so I won't answer myself. Which is totally not a cop out because I don't know what I'd do.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:46:37 pm by pizzasafari »

stealthrush

Re: A gaming dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 10:56:25 pm »
A fun little dilemma for you.

If you had to choose between only ever being able to play games you've currently already played for the rest of your life, and never being able to play a new game ever again, or never again being able to play a game that has already been released as of today, and only ever being able to play games that are released from tomorrow onwards, which would you pick?

Keep your beloved classics and never be able to experience potentially amazing future releases, or cut yourself off from your old loves and games you regularly play in the hopes that new experiences in the future hold up to them?

I don't want to influence your answers so I won't answer myself. Which is totally not a cop out because I don't know what I'd do.

I choose the first for sure.

When it comes to original "new" games of the past decade, I can only think of a handful that are worthwhile to me.
The current state, and perhaps future of gaming, I have near zero interest in the direction games are going.

Besides nostalgia, games I previously played that are primarily score-based I frequently go back to time and time again!

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 01:05:07 am »
I feel like I’d have to say play only future games.

Games have come a realllllllly long way in a short space of time.

What if you loved Atari and you made this deal with the devil during that era, all you could play is missile command and pitfall which look beyond primitive now.

Twenty years from now if all you can touch is games from 2018 and prior you’ll be like a pre-historic caveman.

When I started playing games a gameboy was in black and white! We’ve advanced to having Skyrim in full colour in your hands.

To give up the future is not only to give up future games, but future advances in technology, graphics, storytelling, genres etc.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 01:57:32 am »
Would be tough for a few specific games, but I'd pick being able to play future games.  The advancement of tech continues to offer up new and exciting gameplay opportunities and a lot of the stuff I like in games now, will only get better as the tech progresses.  Being stuck in the familiar with no surprises would lead to me playing a lot less games.

bantha

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 05:47:45 am »
This is easy for me...I'd play future games.

At least with giving up past games, I'd know what I was missing out on. I'd be sorry, but I could move on.

Imagine the anxiety caused by not playing future tech...I'd go crazy!

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 10:00:20 am »
What if the 'future game' is a compliation of older releases? Or whatever Nintendo uses are the successor to the Virtual Console? If re-releases of old content still count as a new content- loophole!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 10:36:04 am »
well that would be a easy choice for me I'd only play future titles.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 10:43:53 am »
This is an incredibly hard question to answer, but by a fraction of a hair I'd say I'd give up games I've already played in order to play new games. The main reason why is because I'll always have my memories of those games and seeing how I typically don't replay games often, even my favorites, I'd be super bummed if I couldn't play anything else. It would suck to get the itch to play Shenmue or Ocarina of Time and never be able to again, but I'll always remember how amazing these games are which is some consolation to never being able to play them again.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 09:27:28 pm »
I probably won't play many future games. I started thinking the other day, that mostly all a video game is pretty much the same experience, only difference between games usually, is they give you a new challenge. new world, new story line, new graphics and different controls and different characters  in the long run of things, other wise most games defined within a genre are all the same except  the rules on how you play the game :)

Your controlling whats on the TV or monitor  same thing every game. I'd say enjoy yourself. I do

Point is It would be possible to make more super video games. where you can use an in game editor to make any kind of game you want. And have a game that you can choose a pallet or color swap or new graphics entirely.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:38:43 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 12:23:56 am »
Wow, this might be the most thought provoking question I've ever seen :)

This is so tough because I can't fathom life without the classics, and Mario 64 but at the same time, The past games were already played.  You'd never experience something fresh.    And it also makes it more easy for me because you said "games you already played" and not just old games in general.  Because now it's narrowed into basically games i've beaten.  I'd most likely get bored.  While the future can be infinite.  Endless.  Who knows what it offers. 

For that reason I choose Modern games only.  I'd eventually start to build a back log of modern games back in 10-20 years of all the games post 6/17/2018 and than those will be the new classics.  But not being able to see where humanity and the modern technologies bring gaming would be sad for me.  :D.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 03:21:36 pm »
I'd stick with future games since, while it'd suck, I'd still have new stuff to play for the rest of my life.

The idea of being trapped with a finite library is honestly kinda scary to me.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 04:12:51 pm »
I'd stick with future games since, while it'd suck, I'd still have new stuff to play for the rest of my life.

The idea of being trapped with a finite library is honestly kinda scary to me.

There is a lot of games out period to play almost infinite with the exception on remakes, and newer games are going in the direction that you may need a brand new console to play any of Todays games. That is if game companies keep going into the online download only aspect.

You know I am kinda pissed off that the game is not included on the disc much anymore. Older companies back in the 1970's 1980's and 1990's and 2000's made enough money off physical copies and yet there still making the disc but don't include the games on them in a lot of cases, I hear

It's should not cost the companies that much money to make psysical copies. CD's DVD's and Bluray are vary cheap to buy, blank ones and it should be free to put the data on them
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:26:17 pm by oldgamerz »
NO APPS NEEDED

over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

pizzasafari

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 05:44:50 pm »
There is a lot of games out period to play almost infinite with the exception on remakes

Only games you've already played are allowed  ;)

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 06:01:51 pm »

Only games you've already played are allowed  ;)

Oh in this case I would not restrict myself to the games I've already played. I would like to experience new games in fact I thought this topic was for modern or retro games, because as far as new tech goes I don't plan on playing a lot of today's games until later in life :)
NO APPS NEEDED

kypherion

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 11:54:19 pm »
LOl my beloved classics for sure. I can just speedrun those to get more value out of them.