Author Topic: How much do you like game instruction manuals?  (Read 2876 times)

How much do you like game instruction manuals?
« on: June 24, 2018, 05:57:08 pm »
?

Re: How much do you like game instruction manuals?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 06:51:55 pm »
I have a few but I like the game better
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:10:45 pm »
I only collect instruction manuals.  I just throw the disc or cart away too, cuz what's the point anyways.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 08:43:27 pm »
I used to hate the concept of manual, but since we are already here with tons of manuals around us I develeoped a weird fascination with the physicality of a manual.

I find inriguing how companies hire an extra guy or even a company to come up with manuals. Sometimes they are garbage sometimes they are works of art, but every time I want to check out what a manual for specific game looks like. From the design standpoint that is. It's impossible for me to focus on a manual and read one from start to finish, but sometimes it's so much fun. My favorite from my recent acquisitions is Metal Gear 4 for PS3 - has comic strips explaining game mechanics, beautifully designed and funny.

Another scenario is - you simply can't play without a manual.  I'm currently playing King of Dragon Pass and without a manual you are nothing in this game.

It's very visible what game publishers themselves think about manuals. Whether they think manuals are another outlet for creativity or just an annoying necessity.

theflea

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 10:30:27 pm »
I love them, on disc games I miss that many don't have them anymore.
Just feels like something is missing from the game when you open it and see no manual.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 12:52:43 am »
I'm a fan of manuals. I think they add some nice flavor to a game, as well as a good quick reference guide for basic controls and such. I don't think they're necessarily worth hunting down for every single game- especially since it's not necessary to have one for most games- but they are fun to have.

I love them, on disc games I miss that many don't have them anymore.
Just feels like something is missing from the game when you open it and see no manual.

YES! This drives me so bloody crazy! I have complete copies for all my disc games, and it drives me crazy that I have to stand around Game stores, holding whatever I want to buy, while I look up whether or not the damn game came with a manual or not! I wish they'd at least put in a 'this space intentionally left blank' or something.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 01:42:42 am »
Thanks to the internet I almost never use them, but like having them in order to complete a game.

kypherion

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 03:31:43 am »
They're cool. Sometimes they have info/lore on the game that's rather intriguing or maybe some movement mechanic I don't know about.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

kypherion

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 03:32:00 am »
I only collect instruction manuals.  I just throw the disc or cart away too, cuz what's the point anyways.

Clearly I've been doing it all wrong.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 04:13:53 am »

I guess you have invented the new meta, Clearly it is the best thing to do. I'm pretty many will follow this way to collect and play surely  ::)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:16:51 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 04:33:52 am »
They were nice if they offered something kinda unique to them, maybe more story insight for older games that couldn't do much in game, or if they had unique art, or tips or map type things, but in general, they were never really that big deal.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 05:24:48 am »
Honestly it’s not too crazy.

I have NES manuals that are full or art and lore that are very enjoyable to read and look at.

mark1982

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 05:39:06 am »
Love them!  ;D

Especially the well made ones with character info, enemy types, designs, backstory, etc.

Instruction Manuals are a thing of the past though, probably cutting down on print costs since everything can be found online.

I do appreciate when modern games do a nice full fledged manual though. This can be seen in Shovel Knight - Excellent full color manual.

Another good example is Shantae Half Genie Hero that recently came out on the Switch. Nice full color manual full of illustrations, reminds me of the good old days of getting a game and reading the whole manual cover to cover on the way home.
  l    l 

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 10:33:38 am »
You know a game is legit when their manual is spiral bound

jalien

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 10:46:26 am »
Loved reading the manuals for Blizzard games because of all the lore you could find in them, that's something that is not present in most manuals today, so nowadays I can take it or leave it.