Author Topic: Best Toys R' Us video game memories  (Read 2686 times)

Best Toys R' Us video game memories
« on: July 01, 2018, 11:44:52 am »
With Toys R' Us gone for good, at least here in the US, what are some of your best memories of going to this amazing store, specifically as they relate to video games.

My most vivid memory of Toys R' Us happened when I was about 10 when I went there with my dad, I believe to get a birthday present for a friend's birthday party. Walking by the video game section I noticed they had a demo for Star Fox 64 on their Nintendo 64 kiosk. This was right before Star Fox 64 came out and I was insanely hyped for it, and up until then I had never played it. I jumped on that kiosk immediately and was absolutely blown away by that game. I was so entertained and so immersed that I didn't realize my dad had lost track of where I was and had proceeded to have the store page me overhead. I heard one of the pages finally and when I got to customer service my dad was extremely pissed since he had spent the last 15-minutes looking for me. I don't remember feeling bad at all since all I could think about was wanting to play more Star Fox 64 and how awesome that game was.

My other memory was not as unique, but it involves going to my local Toys R' Us with my Aunt for my 12th birthday and buying Pokemon Snap right after it came out. During this time I was OBSESSED with Pokemon and unless I'm wrong I believe that it was the first Pokemon N64 title that we got in the US, even before Pokemon Stadium. We went out to dinner right after, which was torture since all I wanted to do was go home and play it lol

Re: Best Toys R' Us video game memories
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 02:25:37 pm »
I dont remember what the occasion was but I remember getting Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Tekken 3 from there and to say they went on to become 2 of my all time favorite games ever would be an understatement. I think I may have been either 11 or 12 when they were bought, maybe even 10. The last time I bought anything from Toys R Us was when they had the first Injustice for like $30 not very long after launch. 

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 02:42:23 pm »
Never really had a say in what games I got as a kid so don't really have much memory of Toys R Us except for one time buying Pokemon Sapphire for a friend's birthday.  And while it is not gameing related it is where I always bought Yu Gi Oh Cards for some reason.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 05:55:15 pm »
Just a few years ago I bought the ColecoVision 1 and the Intellivision 1 flashback as well as the Atari Flashback 6. from online Toys R Us,

Back in the day Toys R Us, was not where my family shopped too often because their prices I think were sorta high even in the 1990's
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 07:09:07 pm »
I saved up all my pocket change/ allowance / birthday money and got myself the raddest thing imaginable: A Super Scope 6 for the SNES.  Being able to pull that little slip of paper off the wall to take up front was glorious.

The Scope itself a little less so.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 07:22:01 pm »
I remember getting some Skylanders there when I was younger, back when the first Skylanders game had come out. I also remember seeing displays for the newest Call of Duty game, which I believe was the first black ops, but I may be wrong. I also remember seeing an ad for Lollipop Chainsaw somewhere within the store and my parents being disgusted. lol

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 08:03:19 pm »
I remember getting some Skylanders there when I was younger, back when the first Skylanders game had come out. I also remember seeing displays for the newest Call of Duty game, which I believe was the first black ops, but I may be wrong. I also remember seeing an ad for Lollipop Chainsaw somewhere within the store and my parents being disgusted. lol

Welcome to the VG collect forum campingboy7  I see you made your first post :)

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 09:18:11 pm »
Great idea for a thread.

I remember going to TRU in the mid-90’s when the Sega Saturn was on the decline, and I got one for cheap. I got a few games there, and at that time the game section was an aisle filled with paper tickets you had to take up front to redeem for the game.

Then from 2003-04 I worked at that same TRU, most of that time in the video game section. Not bad for a retail job although the pay was awful. I was in my element and there were all kinds of games around, especially in the back room. GameCube, PS2, Xbox, and Game Boy Advance were big, and we had older stock of N64, PS1, and Genesis games. I still remember the literal pile of copies of Conker’s Bad Fur Day on sale for like $20, and thinking I should have bought some :)

Of course, there were piles of games that we couldn’t give away like Ecks vs Sever and Battlebots.
One of the surprising games we couldn’t keep in stock? Barbie Horse Adventures for GBA. I constantly got requests for it and I had to tell many disappointed customers we were sold out.

Once my manager got yelled at by a customer who bought a GBA 2 weeks before the DS came out. We couldn’t accept a return on opened hardware, but this customer said we should let her exchange the GBA for a DS because the employee who sold it to her “should have told” her about the upcoming DS  ::)
It’s not our fault this customer didn’t do her research.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 03:14:52 am »
I got my first real six-string
Bought it at the Toys R Us
Played it 'til my fingers bled
Was the summer of sixty-nine

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 06:30:21 am »
I got my first real six-string
Played it 'til my fingers bled
Was the summer of sixty-nine

I can tell you memorize the lyrics of  composer Jim Vallance and rock artist  "Bryan Adam's" song called "Summer Of 69"

If you want to post about music that is rock or pop related. Or if you just want to find or post some rock music suggestions, or rock music recommendations that is what this thread is for :) Enjoy, because I am a huge older rock music fan ;)
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,8413.0.html
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 06:36:07 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

kashell

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 08:05:21 am »
I remember our Toys R' Us having a PlayStation with Mega Man X4 set up. Similar to TC, I was glued to it the entire time while my folks went about their business. They didn't have to page me over the speakers, but Mega Man X4 was all I thought about until it was gifted to my brother.

Eventually, I got my own copy. It's still one of my favorite games of all time.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 07:04:28 pm »
I remember our Toys R' Us having a PlayStation with Mega Man X4 set up. Similar to TC, I was glued to it the entire time while my folks went about their business. They didn't have to page me over the speakers, but Mega Man X4 was all I thought about until it was gifted to my brother.

X4 is my favorite as well

stealthrush

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 07:27:49 pm »
Plenty great memories going Toy R' Us as a kid, it was like Disney world to me (besides the local arcade venue) Loved Transformers, Mega Man toys (small figures), anything robot related, but most of all favorite was the video-game section. Flipping through the printed cover-art on the wall of posters, my parents would lift me up to view the higher panels. Was so very fascinated with all the releases from GB, SNES, SAT, PS1, all the way to DC. Some highlights;

- Every once and awhile they would bring up televisions and hook up systems to play for upcoming games. I remember playing Bushido Blade being super impressed of the physics and gameplay.

- Pre-ordering Sega Dreamcast on 9/9/99 and reciving a XXL T-shirt of DC logo,

- Playing the Virtual-Boy kiosk, wasn't completely thrilled with it.

- Buying Die Hard Arcade for my birthday present, the game I wanted the most!

- Pre-ordered Tech Romancer, for about sixty something dollars.

- Great memories of when you buy a game and taking the pamphlet to the desk, so the employee goes in the back room to pull out the game you chose.

- Playing Marvel vs Capcom, and Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast for the first time - blew my mind!

- Being in awe of those high detailed Todd McFarlane figures.

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 07:36:45 pm »

X4 is my favorite as well

My first X game. My favorite to this day.

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 07:38:07 pm »
I lived in a small town on an island growing up, so I didn't get to a Toys R Us till like 10 years ago when I moved out of there.  Loved going there to pick up action figures as they would get in the NECA Godzilla figures among others.  I could get them elsewhere online, but much like it was with video stores, its something you miss doing as there aren't really any other stores with as big of a selection anymore.  I'd love to have video stores back to browse through lol