Author Topic: Learning new skills!  (Read 2293 times)

sergreyjoy

Learning new skills!
« on: July 05, 2018, 02:31:17 pm »
It's never too late to learn new things!

I always wanted to learn skateboarding but never got around doing it (guess I was gaming too much hehehe). But at 28yrs old I decided that it was about time! It's been two months now and I'm loving it! It's a steep learning curve but the satisfaction and thrill it gives is priceless.

What skills are you learning or are looking forward to learn?

pizzasafari

Re: Learning new skills!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 03:04:39 pm »
I have like fifty billion instruments I'd love to learn to play. I've been trying to teach myself piano/keyboard but it isn't going very well. My brain and my fingers do not get along. I've been learning Japanese for a while too so that's another thing, then if I ever finally become fluent I'll probably start learning another language for fun. Maybe either Chinese since I'll have a head start with the characters or Russian because it'd be fun. Or maybe even something weird like Old English or Old Norse just because it'd be an awesome party trick.

sergreyjoy

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 03:38:43 pm »
I have like fifty billion instruments I'd love to learn to play. I've been trying to teach myself piano/keyboard but it isn't going very well. My brain and my fingers do not get along. I've been learning Japanese for a while too so that's another thing, then if I ever finally become fluent I'll probably start learning another language for fun. Maybe either Chinese since I'll have a head start with the characters or Russian because it'd be fun. Or maybe even something weird like Old English or Old Norse just because it'd be an awesome party trick.

I'm actually learning japanese as well! Though I've been slacking off a bit the past few weeks v___v;
It'd be my third language, english is my second and french is my main.

rayne315

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 04:06:49 pm »
I have a strange habit of picking up college textbooks from garage sales whenever I find them and I will read through them whenever I have the inkling to learn something new. I have books over anatomy and physiology, art history, ancient Chinese history, a bunch of high level math books (calculus, trigonometry, theoretical physics, etc) American civil war, business management, Microsoft office books, Japanese language, Chinese language, Russian language, Spanish language, python coding, and I could go on and on. to me learning is a good way to keep my mind sharp and any new skills are useful in the future. the ones I read the most are any engineering based math books, Chinese and Japanese language, and management books because these specifically help me out in advancements in my career.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

pizzasafari

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 05:43:17 pm »
I'm actually learning japanese as well! Though I've been slacking off a bit the past few weeks v___v;

サボるな!頑張りなさい! ;)

sergreyjoy

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 05:59:24 pm »

サボるな!頑張りなさい! ;)

Sa?runa!  ??rinasai!

...lol still got a ways to go xD

pizzasafari

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 06:01:26 pm »
Sa?runa!  ??rinasai!

...lol still got a ways to go xD

"Don't skip your studies! Do your best!"  ;)

kypherion

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 04:45:53 am »
I'm working on increasing my knowledge in the field of electronics as well as improving my drawing skill.

-Learn to fix issues with a car
-Hands on stuff like woodworking and stuff like that, learn to fix my bike on my own etc. etc.
-learn to properly use a firearm
-Manage stress better
-Mending clothes
-Better handwriting is a must
-Learn CPR

"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

sergreyjoy

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 07:26:41 am »
I'm working on increasing my knowledge in the field of electronics as well as improving my drawing skill.

-Learn to fix issues with a car
-Hands on stuff like woodworking and stuff like that, learn to fix my bike on my own etc. etc.
-learn to properly use a firearm
-Manage stress better
-Mending clothes
-Better handwriting is a must
-Learn CPR

DIY stuff is the best. Once you own a house it's a must! People throw away cash so much on labor that they can learn to do themselves and have fun doing so! Plus the satisfaction is totally worth it  :D

topspot123

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 08:12:29 pm »
It's never too late to learn new things!

I always wanted to learn skateboarding but never got around doing it (guess I was gaming too much hehehe). But at 28yrs old I decided that it was about time! It's been two months now and I'm loving it! It's a steep learning curve but the satisfaction and thrill it gives is priceless.

What skills are you learning or are looking forward to learn?

That's great!  I was never interested in skateboarding, but I feel like I would really love skating.  Roller, but also ice.  I wouldn't call myself graceful, but I feel like I have a very good sense of balance.  But alas, I never took up the hobby.  And even though I've wanted to learn for most of my life, I feel like I'm at an age where a wipe-out could have serious physical repercussions!

It's a bit of a fear of injury, but it's more a fear of loss of income due to injury.  So I've shied away from learning things like that, even though I think I would love the feeling of freedom and speed it could give me.

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 01:26:02 pm »
I went to school for Psychology and have a bachelors degree in it. I was a practicing clinician for 5-years before the low pay, constant drama from my clients, and lack of opportunity to progress in my field finally caught up with me and I decided enough was enough. I didn't have enough money to go back to school so I started studying computers, ended up getting a A+ and Network+ certifications on my own just by studying in the evenings and on the weekend, tinkered with a lot of related hardware and software, and finally ended up getting a job in the IT field. I took a small pay cut with my first IT job compared to what little I was making in mental health, but two IT jobs later I make almost double what I did as a clinician.

Likewise, I'm partially self taught in Japanese, although I'm very rusty since I haven't practiced it in any form in many years.

kashell

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 03:14:51 pm »
Add another to the Japanese study group. I took a year of it in undergrad and studied on my own ever since. I love it.

I'd still rather play games in my native tongue, of course.

kypherion

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 04:13:09 am »
Add another to the Japanese study group. I took a year of it in undergrad and studied on my own ever since. I love it.

Hey ya, I've taken a year too. Cool language, but too bad it's not mainstream like french or spanish.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

sergreyjoy

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 12:56:18 pm »

Hey ya, I've taken a year too. Cool language, but too bad it's not mainstream like french or spanish.

That's the thing. It makes it hard to practice when no one around speaks it  :-\

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 01:17:07 pm »
Try Dutch  ;D