Author Topic: What is a new collection thing that would ruin you if you started?  (Read 3206 times)

A lot of us here have our gaming collections or toy collections or comic collections, things that might already eat into your time and money quite abit, but what is something you've either set aside or purposefully avoid, as you know that if you started into it, you wouldn't be able to stop?

A big thing for me, would be Lego's.  I use to LOVE them as a kid and teen.  The building aspect always draws me in and for years now I've seen a ton of cool sets.  A new one I saw brought up in another thread is a Voltron lego set.  That appeals to my love of mecha/robots, and it's pretty badass.  It's also 180 bucks.  I could go broke real fast with stuff like this.

In the same vein of building, model kits of any type would be bad.  I've bought a few Dragon Ball ones, mostly because I've been able to get them for fairly cheap, and I do enjoy them, but I could go in bad with a lot of the model kits out there.  Dragon Ball, Gundam, lots of anime related things would drag me down pretty quick.

Re: What is a new collection thing that would ruin you if you started?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 10:31:30 pm »
CCG/TCGs are the big things I avoid these days. It just becomes too costly to try to collect everything as well as keeping up with the meta. Between all the different card games I played when I was younger, I've accumulated somewhere around 40,000-50,000 cards. Nowadays, I can get my fix via more self-contained games like Smash Up or Dominion, which scratch the same itch for a fraction of the price. One other thing that helps is that one of my primary games, Star Wars Miniatures, after it was discontinued, the community started releasing virtual sets, which were full sets of tournament-legal pieces that used proxies instead of having to collect the characters.

I will say that I'm teetering on the brink with Lego sets as well. My biggest problem is that those big sets are just so satisfying to put together in a way the smaller stuff can't quite reach. I've recently built the Saturn rocket and the U.S.S. Enterprise (A Mega Bloks set, but still huge), and seeing those massive sets sitting on my shelves is absolutely delightful. While I've thankfully avoided the temptation of dropping the $800 on the Ultimate Millennium Falcon, I just know I'm going to wind up buying either the Voltron set or the Ultimate Collector's Y-Wing by the end of August.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 10:32:31 pm »
 I just recently got back into 1/64 scale die cast cars (Hotwheels, Matchbox, M2)  collecting :).   I used to be into them very much as a kid but then outgrew them as most kids do with toys.  Now I have a whole new collector mindset about them.  But now I have just become fascinated with them again.  :D

One thing iv'e loved about the hot wheel hobby is that it's cheap,  94 cents for the new cars, 5 bucks if you want a M2 (Highly detailed upper end 1/64 scale)  and 5 bucks if you want some obscure retro car with card from the 90s.   They are also so small that you can store a good thousand of them on one large shelf.   It's really light on the room constraints and my pockets :).   

One hobby that is really just a portion of the video game hobby that I know would sink the ship I think would be collecting plushies.  I do have plushies but I try to avoid buying every one I see.  Because they look amazing but boy are they giant and take up so much room. I have like 4 plushies and already find myself wondering where to put them when I get something big.  ;D     

And sneaker collecting consumed me for maybe 3 weeks until I realized I only need 3 pairs tops and i'm being irrational financially lol.

Other hobbies would be comic books and vhs collecting,  two hobbies i've dabbled in a tad but realize it'll only conflict with my larger passion of video games.  And anything that cuts into the video games ends up getting cut eventually lol.  Which is why I think hotwheels were the best for me to get back into on the side.  They are so cheap, they'd never really be conflicting with my budget for other things. 

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:36:36 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:41:05 pm »
I use to be big into CCG Dragon Ball Z stuff myself back in high school.  I didn't play it a ton, but I loved collecting the cards.  I still got a lot of my character cards still.  I even bought a few packs of the reboot they did a few years back.  I knew I couldn't get too much though or I'd get lost in it again lol

kypherion

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:42:42 pm »
Card collecting, for me Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon would totally ruin me.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 12:17:06 am »
I will say that I'm teetering on the brink with Lego sets as well. My biggest problem is that those big sets are just so satisfying to put together in a way the smaller stuff can't quite reach. I've recently built the Saturn rocket and the U.S.S. Enterprise (A Mega Bloks set, but still huge), and seeing those massive sets sitting on my shelves is absolutely delightful. While I've thankfully avoided the temptation of dropping the $800 on the Ultimate Millennium Falcon, I just know I'm going to wind up buying either the Voltron set or the Ultimate Collector's Y-Wing by the end of August.

If Lego somehow gets like...a Godzilla, Pacific Rim, or Gundam license and it looks as good as Voltron does, I might be in trouble lol

soera

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 12:41:52 am »
Id love to collect cars. Not hot wheels like mentioned above ... but actual cars.

I want a Lotus Elise. Id take another Mini cooper (or 3 so that I can have the full Pixels set!). A T-rex. Another Honda Del Sol and Mazda Miata.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 01:00:08 am »
Arcade Cabs and Pinball Machines: Obviously these are very expensive, especially pinball machines. However, it is easy to avoid buying these at the moment since I lack the stability of a place I own and currently live in a 800sqf house. If I can buy a home someday and have enough space, and have about double the disposable income I have now, I really want to get into collecting these.

Star Wars Toys: As a kid I loved Star Wars toys, specifically the 3 1/2 inch figures (specifically Power of the Force series), vehicles, and playsets. There was a really, really awesome toy store called Planet Toys that I used to visit all the time in high school and their selection of figures inspired me to briefly get back into collecting them back then, but since I have purposely avoided getting back into collecting. Fortunately Star Wars toy prices have cooled quite a bit since then, but there are so many I want that it would definitely make a dent in my finances. Also, I don't have the space to get into action figure collecting like I'd like.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 01:19:47 am »
If Lego somehow gets like...a Godzilla, Pacific Rim, or Gundam license and it looks as good as Voltron does, I might be in trouble lol

Mega Bloks actually had the Gundam license about a decade ago and made some UC sets. Like with most actually good Mega Bloks lines, they're a bit on the collectable side nowadays.

Though, if you want some good military-based sets, look up the brand COBI, specifically their Small Army lineup. It's a while bunch of tanks and other military vehicles primarily from WWII all Legoized.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 05:40:52 am »
Unfortunately I have started a collection that ruins me, takes all my money and compels me feverishly to plunge more money into it.

It’s called stocks.

I can’t stop myself from growing a share portfolio and it has already crippled my savings. Now each pay check takes a large cut as well. Something about this gets me high.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 05:47:42 am »
little toy cars hot wheels, matchbox (etc) I can buy the things for cheap both first and second hand. But I have no where to store them, plus I don't enjoy toy cars as much as I used to I still have some from childhood but apsolutly no where to display them. there are 2 things I currently only collect CD's and old Video Games. :)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 10:57:12 am »
Probably figurines & statues. As a general rule, I'm really good about not getting into anything I can't handle- questions one & two before adding most anything new are 'what will I do with it' and 'where will I put it'. Well, you don't do anything with a figure, and my shelfspace is thoroughly occupied by actual media. However, the instant visual appeal is really, really hard to resist. I imagine with more room I could easily have bookcases of overly expensive, Japanese import plastic tat.

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 12:12:29 pm »
LEGO for me as well.  I’ve implemented a $10 rule on the sets to keep myself in check.  It’s been difficult, but I’ve kepy myself to it.

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 12:41:50 pm »
Eventually I will get a pinball machine. I have room for one only. If I ever get into that hobby, I will likely ditch another collection due to space concerns.

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 12:58:38 pm »
Unfortunately I have started a collection that ruins me, takes all my money and compels me feverishly to plunge more money into it.

It’s called stocks.

I can’t stop myself from growing a share portfolio and it has already crippled my savings. Now each pay check takes a large cut as well. Something about this gets me high.
If you're going in debt or barely getting by because the stocks you buy you're doing it wrong lol