Author Topic: Game and update sizes are getting a little ridiculous  (Read 2658 times)

Game and update sizes are getting a little ridiculous
« on: September 07, 2018, 07:41:01 am »
On my Xbox one today trying to launch Halo Master Chief collection - nope - 97 GB update

Oh Elder Scrolls Online added to game pass? 98 GB download

Quantum Break? 48 GB

Eff this.

rayne315

Re: Game and update sizes are getting a little ridiculous
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:25:29 am »
On my Xbox one today trying to launch Halo Master Chief collection - nope - 97 GB update

Oh Elder Scrolls Online added to game pass? 98 GB download

Quantum Break? 48 GB

Eff this.

if you actually owned the physical disc for those games updates will shrink way down. ~20-30gb
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 12:43:55 pm »
Not sure how PS4 works, but the XBox One downloads everything on to the hard drive. Nothing is played from the disc once it's downloaded other than to check that you actually own it. Halo Master Chief Collection is that freaking big after the last update.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 03:25:16 pm »
Big games are big.  As tech advances, so does the game size.  It's why we won't see full digital for awhile yet, as in the USA, our internet sucks too bad to do that.

rayne315

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 03:38:13 pm »
Not sure how PS4 works, but the XBox One downloads everything on to the hard drive. Nothing is played from the disc once it's downloaded other than to check that you actually own it. Halo Master Chief Collection is that freaking big after the last update.

oh it downloads from the disc on ps4 as well but what I was meaning was that the download isn't over internet then. the base game will be "downloaded" in minutes and you would then only have to wait for the ~20 gig patches to download. I think it moves the data from the disc to hard drive at something like 800mb/s when pulling the data from the disc.

EDIT:

Looked up the speeds and a base xbox 1 downloads from the disc at 54MB/s and i cannot find the specs for a base ps4 disc transfer speed... but i think i saw a minimum of 27MB/s? which would be the required speed for a blu ray?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:48:30 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

Agozer

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 05:13:59 pm »
I bought a 4TB external drive for my PS4. Worth the money. The largest game I have at the moment is probably DOOM 2016, totalling around 78GB with the patches installed.

I used to be quite horrified by the mandatory installations the PS3 had, but at least some games had the option to install the game to the hard drive. Fast forward to the PS4, and the install sizes have skyrocketed. Well, at least there are still a handful of games that don't have any patches.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 07:57:02 pm »
I'm out in the country shelling out big bucks for satellite internet.  For that reason I got a PS4 years before getting an XboxOne.  Despite all its workarounds the Xbox One is difficult to use without stable internet.  That being said I don't feel like updates should be the size of a game itself.  I feel like earlier games like Mass Effect 2 & Resident Evil 5 got it right, what some new weapons and an episode?  How about five bucks and one gigabyte?  You bet!  Because its all subjective, see with ME2 I felt like I got my monies worth.  When COD3 updates I curse it!  Whenever my kids cant play their game on modern equipment I offer to play Smash TV with them, no updates required!

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 08:35:19 pm »
I'm out in the country shelling out big bucks for satellite internet.  For that reason I got a PS4 years before getting an XboxOne.  Despite all its workarounds the Xbox One is difficult to use without stable internet.  That being said I don't feel like updates should be the size of a game itself.  I feel like earlier games like Mass Effect 2 & Resident Evil 5 got it right, what some new weapons and an episode?  How about five bucks and one gigabyte?  You bet!  Because its all subjective, see with ME2 I felt like I got my monies worth.  When COD3 updates I curse it!  Whenever my kids cant play their game on modern equipment I offer to play Smash TV with them, no updates required!

Olgamerz Reply

I used to have satellite internet and it sucked big time in fact my speed most times was my  top download speen 1-10 kilobytes per second and that speed was actually at least 50-5 times slower than dial up and I also had a 4GB data cap in the year 2015

Try and see if you can get Comcast, I do know that most places in the United States rural area have Comcast DSL high speed Internet with no contract and at least a 1TB/Terri byte  data cap for about $97 a month if you get their 2nd or 3rd highest internet package, but speed is suppose to be 50mbs or 100mbs  per second. It is fast enough for me.

I mean with sattleite internet I could not even watch a single video, online or music without going over my 4GB monthly data cap For over $96 a month. when I had Sattlite internet.

Comcast is a vary good internet service provider. they have improved over the years and are always friendly in my experence

COMCAST RECOMMENDED call (only call if your not on a contract with your previous satellite Internet provider or else you may have to fork over $400 or more to your old ISP)
1 (800) 934-6489
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:01:36 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 08:50:22 pm »
I bought a 4TB external drive for my PS4. Worth the money. The largest game I have at the moment is probably DOOM 2016, totalling around 78GB with the patches installed.

I used to be quite horrified by the mandatory installations the PS3 had, but at least some games had the option to install the game to the hard drive. Fast forward to the PS4, and the install sizes have skyrocketed. Well, at least there are still a handful of games that don't have any patches.

In my opinion all modern consoles should automatically come with  at least a 4TB internal hard drive installed into the console

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 01:17:43 pm »

In my opinion all modern consoles should automatically come with  at least a 4TB internal hard drive installed into the console

Not really It's a strategy to keep the costs low so the purchasing price of the console is lower thus increasing console sales.

If you would include consoles with the larger than normal standard formats the price would go up allot wich might scare people away of purchasing the console instead of using standard formats for an attractive decent price.

Same example can be given to excluding the charger in the 3ds xl systems making the price a bit lower since many buyers had the older console with the correct charger anyways.

Even though Buying these things seperate might be more expensive in the end, console sales will still improve since the console as a standalone piece will be cheaper than if those extra's were included. Only for the hardcore customer it might make a difference but that's not the majority of the market.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 01:24:06 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 05:17:07 pm »
The games are only going to get bigger as time goes on.
The mandatory installs kept me away from the PS3 as well. One of the main reasons I went the Xbox 360 route.
I'm currently using a 12 TB on my Xbox One. Start big if you can, because it's a pain in the ass to transfer the data from HD to HD.

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 07:03:36 pm »
The games are only going to get bigger as time goes on.
The mandatory installs kept me away from the PS3 as well. One of the main reasons I went the Xbox 360 route.
I'm currently using a 12 TB on my Xbox One. Start big if you can, because it's a pain in the ass to transfer the data from HD to HD.

Exactly ;)

Early into the PlayStation 3's life span I can see this thing might have been an issue, but changing the internal harddrive to something bigger at least for me. Was vary easy to do. However when they came out with the PS3 super slims the hard drive was a hell of lot bigger 250GB and 500GB. Mine only cost me $120 used but it was in the year 2015 when not many people wanted one

But in my experience the PS3 had vary small updates and only took up a little bit of space (plus all my games run off the disc). Example my PS3 super slim 500GB can hold over 10000 songs and still has a ton of space for video games. I even recall some games only taking up 4MB-800MB for the save file.  Only downloaded games take up macho space in my experience with my PS3's life.  But my personal harddrive was also a lot bigger than the 20GB-40GB launch consoles

I was told the PS3 both all harddrives both internal and external hardrives have to be in FAT32 format and cannot go bigger then 1TB MAX to work though
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 07:18:28 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED