Author Topic: Top 10 Anime Series/Movies  (Read 1940 times)

Top 10 Anime Series/Movies
« on: September 26, 2018, 12:38:30 am »
What are the top 10 anime you've ever seen? Can be either a series or a movie. Let us know!

Re: Top 10 Anime Series/Movies
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 02:38:43 am »
Dropped this into the wrong section, just a slight slip-up, heh.

Tough for me to be like "THESE ARE THE DEFINITIVE FAVORITES", but this is generally anime that had a big impact for me personally.

Dragon Ball Z - Long running anime series have a problem with dragging on for way too damn long and this is a notorious series for that (Though pales compared to something like One Piece, but we all know about Frieza's "5 Minutes" on Namek), but this was the first series that really introduced me to this style of anime, of the big action, crazy moments, that anime is pretty well known for.

Princess Mononoke - This is probably one of the earlier animes I saw, stuff like My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, and likely some others.  The animation is incredible and the story is pretty intense even as a young teen.

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad - There aren't a lot of really great anime that I feel deal with music.  There's a bunch that have them, especially in what feels like the past decade or less, but this handled it from a much more real perspective for the most part and had good music to boot.

Cowboy Bebop - No surprise with this, it's one of those animes that usually shows up on top lists.  From the characters, to the voice acting (English Dub), to the music, to the setting, it's such a completely awesome and well rounded package.

Hellsing: Ultimate - I remember liking the original anime, not knowing about how it shifted things story wise in its own direction, so when Ultimate came out and was just like "Let's go fucking nuts", I went right along with it.  It's stylish, gory as all hell without just being purely grotesque, and it's a killer action show.  It's leaps and bounds better than the original anime in every area to me.

Ghost in the Shell/Stand Alone Complex - Hard for me to pick just one thing, so I'm sorta just lumping the original movie and tv show together.  The first GITS has such fantastic animation with some great action, where as the show lacks some of that due to its tv show quality, but makes up for it with interesting scenarios and better exploration of all the characters. I've never been a fan of the deep philosophical elements, it goes way over my head, but GITS can be a great time.  The other movies and OVA series never quite hit the same mark for me, but it's nothing super bad.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - I feel like this show is what took anime to a new level for me.  Like there was always absurd nonsense in Dragon Ball or some other anime shows, but the style here with crazy animation and insane levels the series went to, especially in the second half, makes this show incredible.  It's ridiculous fun and it really set the bar for what Trigger would continue on afterwards to various degrees of success.

Attack on Titan - While still a series in progress, I feel like it hits everything I enjoy with anime.  A crazy setting that isn't possible in most any other medium outside of maybe gaming, the creatures are weird, but unique in execution, and the action gets awesome.  It has some ups and downs and with the third season, it shows that they can better handle a downturn in pace when Titans aren't around.  Like this show could end terribly for all I know, as the manga is still going, but I feel like it's a good ride so far either way.

Spirited Away - The level of quality is well known with Studio Ghibli, but I think if I was ever to show someone an anime, it would be something like this as it has a lot of that whimsy and spectacle anime is known for, and especially with Ghibli itself from earlier anime, but also has more of a slightly dark undercurrent that could be seen as a little tense for the younger watches that I remember having as a kid like with Secret of Nimh or Little Nemo.

Drawing a blank on my last one for the moment, as I'm not sure what would be right.  I kinda want to put in Made in Abyss for how intense and dark it is while also being beautifully animated, or maybe K-On! for appealing to a much more chill and bubbly side of anime, while also tapping into my love of music like with Beck.  Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is another possibility too.

kashell

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 08:48:23 am »
Sure, why not.

The Slayers NEXT - I'm a huge Slayers fan, but NEXT is my favorite. It has the perfect balance of comedy and drama. I received a VHS of NEXT many Christmases ago and that's all it took to make me become a fan.

The Slayers - A great start to a great series. Shadow Rizzo was a cool villain.

The Slayers TRY - I for real thought that Lina and her friends weren't going to make it through, but they did. A great way to end the series. Note that I haven't watched Revolution yet. I have it; just need to get around to it.

Berserk - Awesome, dark setting with a depressing narrative. It's bloody fun.

Magic Users Club - A super cute and super feel good anime. In a bad mood? Watch this.

Spirited Away - A brilliant movie with so much intrigue and detail.

Princess Mononoke - Classic. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Martian Successor Nadesico - Space isn't my favorite setting, but this was a fun show. Ruri was hilarious. I really want to go back and watch the rest of the series.

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust - I remember watching this in theaters and having my mouth agape the whole time. Sleek and stylish, much like it's titular hero. Shame that the game is so shoddy.

Sailor Moon - I prefer the manga, and I like how Crystal follows the manga. But, there's no denying how much impact this show had. It's what really got me into anime.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 09:33:04 am »
1 - Yu Yu Hakusho;
2 - Saint Seiya;
3 - Dragon Ball;
4 - Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood;
5 - Berserk (OVAs and 97 Anime)
6 - Get Backers;
7 - Attack on Titan;
8 - Death Note;
9 - Street Fighter II Victory;
10 - Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 10:16:38 am »
1- Trigun
2- Outlaw Star
3- Space Dandy
4- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
5- Spice and Wolf
6- Bastard
7- Berserk
8- Eden of the East
9- Cowboy Bebop
10- Black Lagoon
11- Golden Boy
12- Morbito: guardian of the Spirit

*Not the actual order
*F*** just naming 10

Honorable mentions because they need recognition also
- Speed Grapher
- Read or Die
- Welcome to the NHK
- Summer Wars
- Samurai Champloo
- Redline
- Lupin the 3rd
- Case Closed/Detective Conan
- Kurokami (though I recommend the Manga it's based on way more that being "Black God")
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:42:09 pm by redblaze57 »

telly

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:50:25 am »
I've maybe watched like three Anime shows total, but I have to ask, is there a reason why this topic is in General?  ???
Currently Playing:
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch), Super Paper Mario (Wii)

My music collection | My Backloggery

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:27:44 pm »
I've maybe watched like three Anime shows total, but I have to ask, is there a reason why this topic is in General?  ???

Probably just thought he was in the off topic section or maybe

hexen

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 01:07:21 pm »
When you say anime do you mean JUST anime and not the manga most anime is based off of? I'm going to include manga a little bit because...

One Piece has a kind of sub-par anime adaptation, but the story itself is the peak of Shonen type media with themes and world-building that go above and beyond.

Cowboy Bebop is obviously an all time classic.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure I've been getting into recently, really unique and ever-changing.

My Hero Academia I have also been getting into. As heroes have become more morally grey overtime, it's actually refreshing to see some pure heroism again that was once a cliche.

Akira is still the best anime movie, Studio Ghibli never matched it.

Dragon Ball Z because I watched it like every other male of my generation and I have nostalgia for it despite not thinking as highly as it critically now.

One Punch Man... where is that damn second season.

Stein's Gate is really great, one of the best pieces of time travel media ever.

Great Teacher Onizuka I dunno if you've ever heard of this one, but it's really great.

Of course... I'd be a fool to not mention the greatest anime of all time...
Cory in the House really transcends anime as a medium and fiction in general, being the most treasured artifact of our entire combined civilizations and species. If there is one thing we need to preserve past the extinction of our planet for alien societies to one day find, it would be this.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

wolfen

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 01:50:52 pm »
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Death Note

Attack on Titan

Spirited Away

Naruto Shippuden

My Hero Academia

HunterxHunter

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Pokemon the Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back

One Punch Man

None of these are in any real order, except for FMAB being #1

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 03:59:38 pm »
In no particular order

Cowboy Bebop
Azumanga Diaoh
Trigun
One Piece
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
The Big O
FLCL
Spice and Wolf
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team
Dragonball

stealthrush

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 04:07:59 pm »
X/1999
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Serial Experiments Lain
Welcome to the N.H.K.
Martian Successor Nadesico
Vision of Escaflowne
Sorcerer Hunters
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Ah! My Goddess
RahXephon

HM: Trigun, FLCL, Slayers, GTO, El-Hazard, Blue Seed, Saber Marionette J, DNA², Vandread, Dual!

Akira
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Grave of the Fireflies
Perfect Blue
Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea
Metropolis
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Spriggan

HM: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Mind Game, My Neighbor Totoro, Millennium Actress, The End of Evangelion, Steamboy, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Laputa Castle in the Sky, Summer Wars, Kiki's Delivery Service.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:09:52 pm by stealthrush »

pizzasafari

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 04:28:31 pm »
My top 10 series as my list is on Favslist at the mo:

1. Steins;Gate
2. Kokoro Connect
3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
4. Danganronpa 3
5. Angel Beats!
6. Hellsing Ultimate
7. Digimon Tamers
8. Fate/Stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
9. Deadman Wonderland
10. Death Note
And honourable mention to the English dub of Ghost Stories <3

I haven't seen as much anime as most anime fans as I'm really fussy and picky with what I like and don't like, but I'd say all 10 of these I do really really like.
As for films I've only seen a few, and the only one I really really liked was The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I need to watch some Ghibli someday, still haven't seen any.

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 06:09:59 pm »
Not in a particular order

Dragonball/ dragonball z series
Shin chan
Medabots original 2 seasons
yu gi oh first gen
samurai champloo
mushishi
pokemon first 2 gen series
shaman king
one piece
naruto first series before shippuden.

honorable mentions

full metal alchemist both versions
spice and wolf
one punch man
mob 100
my hero aca

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:13:45 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 07:51:14 pm »
Admins, feel free to move this to Off Topic.

Accidentally posted in the wrong category.

aliensstudios

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 08:43:28 pm »
The only anime cartoon I've ever watched is Speed Racer  :)

It was pretty sweet from what I remember.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."