Author Topic: what shareware games did you play as a kid or teen  (Read 2939 times)

htimreimer

what shareware games did you play as a kid or teen
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:20:52 am »
for me i played these
Bow and Arrow - In Search of the Greatest Archer
Slam!
some i cant remember the name of
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:54:00 pm by htimreimer »

psydswipe

Re: what shareware games did you play as a kid or teen
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:49:01 am »
None. The Internet didn't exist and the Commodore 64 is the only computer I had  ;)

scott

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:25:14 am »
I played a shareware version of Wolfenstien 3D. And Doom, I think.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 01:46:20 pm »
Commander Keen, Wolfenstien 3D, and the original Duke Nukem, to name just a few. Hell, most of the computer games I played during the late 80s early 90s were mostly shareware.
I remember my local computer store at the time had all their 5 1/4 floppy shareware games in little ziplock baggies hangin off of hooks. Kind off a strange setup but it was super cheap. $10 bought a lot of shareware

atariboy

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 02:16:07 pm »
I Remember I used to buy them at the $1 store. The ones I remember are Wolfenstien 3D, Duke Nukem, and The Incredible Machine.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:11:32 pm »
Commander Keen, Doom, Secret Agent, Jazz Jackrabbit, One Must Fall 2097

madmax

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 07:26:10 pm »
Jazz Jackrabbit comes to mind.

forte

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »
Wolfenstein 3D, Jetpack, Stunts (some racing game with customizable tracks)

psydswipe

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 06:36:53 am »
I guess I don't know much about shareware. You could just buy this stuff at the store? I always thought of it as an Internet thing but I got a computer really late as I grew up on consoles. Got my first PC when I was in college, just a used 486. That was back in 1995 I think.

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 07:17:30 am »
Yeah, some stores would sell you a floppy with a shareware game or two on it for a couple of bucks - as a service. Kinda like paying for a Linux magazine so you don't have to go and download the distro ISOs yourself.

tpugmire

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 12:13:30 pm »
None. The Internet didn't exist and the Commodore 64 is the only computer I had  ;)

Me too, but I didn't even have a C64.  My first modern computer (at the time) was a Windows 95 machine that I got in 97 or 98, when I was in college.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

amauriel

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 02:58:29 pm »
I had TONS of shareware. My dad loved computer shows and at $2-$3 he'd always cave for games I wanted. I vividly remember Jill of the Jungle, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, a bunch of Apogee games (like Word Rescue) and Heros: The Sanguine Seven, among many, many others. Didn't really know games could be NOT shareware until we got a CD-Rom drive in our second PC.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

soera

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 03:48:52 pm »
Im still confused on the term. Sounds like you are saying you basically bought a demo of the game and when you were done, you could add to it?

If thats the case, I played none.

htimreimer

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 04:46:27 pm »
Im still confused on the term. Sounds like you are saying you basically bought a demo of the game and when you were done, you could add to it?

If thats the case, I played none.
what most shareware games do is give you the first few levels in the case of bow and arrow the first 12 levels and if you want the rest of the game you have to call a phone number and pay and then they will mail you floppy disk or cd that has the full version
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:48:32 pm by htimreimer »

soera

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 04:55:55 pm »
So it does sound like how I described. What a scam! Buy the first half of the game and then have to buy the second half after waiting for you to have it mailed to you.