Author Topic: Are you hyped for dat Pokemon Let’s Go Eevee!?  (Read 1855 times)

Are you hyped for dat Pokemon Let’s Go Eevee!?
« on: November 10, 2018, 02:27:58 pm »
Because I am.

Re: Are you hyped for dat Pokemon Let’s Go Eevee!?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 02:34:08 pm »
It is totally going to ruin all other Pokemon games (at least for the Foreseeable future).  Given that it will be so excellent, it will be a somewhat painful to experience any other Pokemon game.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 03:15:48 pm »
I actually cancelled my preorders on both games.

What ruined them is how they got rid of wild pokemon battles in favor of a Pokemon Go-esque system that seems like a stupid attempt to lure in the almost non-existent Pokemon Go fanbase that is still around. Frankly, this looks like the shittiest main Pokemon game to come out, and that's saying a lot since Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon sucked too. I'm glad others are excited, but I'm just sad to see the series fall this far.

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 04:42:20 pm »
Not really a pokemon guy these days but those pokemon go influences will most likely ruin the game.

As far as overal player base go I'm pretty sure there will be allot of people who will like these chances, it will most likely not be the same as far as the traditional pokemon games go that I actually liked, That's a pretty solid portion of the game that got ruined.

I'd say pokemon heartgold soul silver and pokemon black & white 2 era was where they were at their best those games were solid and the art style of everything was great, afterwards the 3d main world and the questionable 2d art style overall from x and y onwards made everything look allot worse  but acceptable in terms of gameplay and new stuff.

In the actual old school era I'd give pokemon emerald the win, but releases on the ds felt and looked retro with tons more stuff to do wich is why the high times of pokemon to me where black & white 2 and pokemon heart gold soulsilver the best games in the entire series.

I'll give pokemon platinum third place so much new features compared to the original diamond and pearl that made pearl and diamond be the inferior versions, not to mention the underground digging fossils with multiple players and their secret bases good stuff  :D Secret bases where also a fun feature in pokemon ruby sapphire and emerald especially with friends.

It's pretty sad to see that pokemon go had that much of an impact to actually chance the main series as a whole for a pretty solid chunk. Sad times but understandable seeing the succes that pokemon go had. I personally never got into the app it was so boring, I can't believe that people where so addicted to such a simple concept and plain looking game It's absolutely insane that so many people liked it, I really question some people's daily lives and their imagination if the pokemon go app was was that entertaining to them. My two cents anyways.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 04:55:37 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 04:55:36 pm »
I'm not "excited", but I think it'll be fun.  It's just a spinoff, nothing more, but with it being a Yellow throwback and it has co-op, I think it'll be a pretty good time.  Plus I haven't played a Pokemon game other than Go since X and I barely played that.  Before that, my last real time spent in a Pokemon game was Yellow, so it's fitting I return with this.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 03:21:26 am »
I adore Pokemon, but I'm skipping Let's Go for now. The game looks pretty, but ultimately it looks so lacking in the gameplay department. It's a nostalgia trip which is fine, but I've played through Kanto and it's many iterations already. I don't need to go through that region again. I'll wait for Gen 8 or a major price drop on Let's Go.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 04:52:03 am »
What ruined them is how they got rid of wild pokemon battles
I had the same initial reaction but then I thought about it and came to the conclusion that wild Pokemon on the overworld is sufficiently refreshing to give it a try.

I played a Pokemon game on my PC emulated recently and was basically doing a speed run rushing through as fast as I could and random encounters did feel a little burdensome, if you aren’t looking for wild Pokemon having to hit run away every 5 steps is actually kinda lame.

I want the next core Pokemon game with everything that came before plus 100 new Pokemon and whole new region and post game, which is coming next year, but it won’t stop me from trying to enjoy Pokemon Yellow in 3D with a twist in the meantime.

I’m looking forward to playing with a team I totally wouldn’t usually go for (no Charizard, Nidoking, etc.)

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 10:52:36 am »
I actually cancelled my preorders on both games.

What ruined them is how they got rid of wild pokemon battles in favor of a Pokemon Go-esque system that seems like a stupid attempt to lure in the almost non-existent Pokemon Go fanbase that is still around. Frankly, this looks like the shittiest main Pokemon game to come out, and that's saying a lot since Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon sucked too. I'm glad others are excited, but I'm just sad to see the series fall this far.

Well it's working- I started Pokémon Go just a few months ago when I upgraded my phone, and went ahead and threw the Eevee version on my Christmas wishlist when I found out about the connectivity between the two.

For what it's worth though, I've never thought of this as a main Pokémon game. More causal battle system, rehash of an older title, connects to mobile variant... all of this says 'high end spinoff' rather than proper Pokémon title. It's no Pokepark, but it's not a Sun/Moon either... more like a Snap or a Stadium.

If it doesn't turn up in as a holiday present, I don't see myself rushing to get it, though- partly becuase I don't play that much Pokémon normally, and partly becuase the buzz so far is pretty mixed, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a price drop next spring if it doesn't take off after release.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 02:46:48 pm »
Nope.

But I respect those who are. :)

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 07:18:59 pm »
Ever since it has come out it has been whispering in my ear, but with black friday here, I had to make sacrafices for sale items.   I really want it bad but I can't warrant 100 dollars.  I want to find it at about 60. 

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 07:42:08 pm »
I completed the pokedex (with a little help from Go) and beat the elite 4 at a leisurely pace in 35 hours. I feel I got my money worth and enjoyed my time.

If patient permits I'll put dozens more hours in just for shiny hunting.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 10:16:42 am »
I haven't been hyped for Pokemon since the Johto Journeys season back in the day.

argyle

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 04:13:06 am »
For those that have played it, how necessary is the Pokeball controller? I got my wife her own Switch and she's very interested in this game - she's actually never played a Pokemon game before, so this would be her first.  I'm hesitant to spend basically double to get the controller that will be used for one game (could have some use in future Pokemon games, but that's unknown right now), but if the experience is significantly worse without it I may have to suck it up.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 05:09:35 am »
For those that have played it, how necessary is the Pokeball controller? I got my wife her own Switch and she's very interested in this game - she's actually never played a Pokemon game before, so this would be her first.  I'm hesitant to spend basically double to get the controller that will be used for one game (could have some use in future Pokemon games, but that's unknown right now), but if the experience is significantly worse without it I may have to suck it up.

While I've heard it's kinda comfortable to hold, it's completely unnecessary to have unless you just want it for the gimmick.  It's basically just a single joycon with less buttons.