Author Topic: Item Numbers  (Read 1902 times)

Item Numbers
« on: November 13, 2018, 08:01:42 pm »
The style guide doesn't really clarify what an item number is, saying they're "found on the packaging or on the Cart/Disc themselves". Problem is, there are several strings on packaging, so entries vary wildly in what they list. Several games have the number string commonly found at the bottom of the case's spine, some have the alphanumeric strings found next to the barcode, while others use the string found on the disc/cart itself. Could the guide be updated with more examples to clarify what code is wanted?

telly

Re: Item Numbers
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 08:08:13 pm »
I think what we decided was item numbers on the case go in the "item number" field, while cart, manual or disc item numbers go in the description. I don't think the style guide has been updated on that for a while.

I'm curious what games have two different item numbers on their packaging, did you have any examples?
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 08:22:38 pm »
PS4 cases have the code at the bottom of the spine and another code right above the barcode. 3DS and Switch cases have two codes around the barcode, one that looks like a region code (ex. HAC P ALERA USA) and another code that's more numbers.

Agozer

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 04:21:22 am »
It seems US releases have embaced a string of numbers on the spine instead of CUSA catalog numbers found in EU, Asia and Japanese releases. In this case, the numbers on the spine are the Item Number.

For Switch, the Item Number starts with HAC-P-
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:25:49 am by Agozer »

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 10:00:42 am »
Many, many games have multiple item numbers. Because of that situation, we only put 1 into the item number field and not all of them. And we try to figure out what the best number to use is.

Typically, this is a number on the spine. If not there, then on the back, if none there then on the media itself.

For Nintendo games, the number should be what is on the box. In the instance where there are multiple numbers on the box, use the one that has the country code in it. For example, Japanese *DS games have the item number with JPN in it on the front, rather than the back. For boxed Nintendo games, do not use the item number that is hidden in flaps, such as with SNES or N64 games, but this number can be put into description.

When it comes to PS4 games, the Style Guide was ammended to put a PS4 example in, to get people to put that CUSA number in. However, we are still using spine numbers for PS4 games. If the CUSA number is there, we will use that. If it is not there, you can put in that other number. Then you can put the typical CUSA number that is on the disc into description as "disc item number" ... and if the game has a third item number on the spine, such as Limited Run, it as well as the number by the UPC into description as well.
Examples:
https://vgcollect.com/item/130820

The purpose of writing it out in the description like this, is so that if/when we ever update the site to allow us to add multiple item numbers, the information is already present on the entry, with a brief description as to where they are. It would make it a lot easier to update entries in the future, should it come to that.

And the reason for why not to put the CUSA number from the disc into the item number field is that you cannot make a proper first-hand identification of a sealed game, or from a photo or scan of an online sample, using the number on the disc because you can't see it.

PS: that string of numbers on PS4 games is also present on many PS3 and some PS2 games also, but I do not know if/how they correlate.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:03:12 am by tripredacus »

telly

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 10:17:59 am »
I think what you just wrote up there tripredacus could be worked into he style guide to give it some more clarity. For example, in the style guide:

"Item numbers are the Factory assigned number given to each product. As such, these are found on the packaging or the Cart/Disc themselves." <- isn't really clear on telling users which numbers should be used, and when.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:19:33 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 10:44:11 am »
How's this:

Item numbers are the factory assigned number given to each product. Item number field priority is: Package spine, Package back, or that which is printed on the enclosed media. Additional item numbers can be put into the description field, including where that item number is located.

Sony items must have a dash between the four letter prefix and the five digit code. PS2 Example: "SLUS-21690" PS4 Example: "CUSA-02134". If a physical PS4 game does not have the CUSA-type number on the spine, use the decimal code instead and put the CUSA-type number from the disc into the description field.

telly

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 11:09:39 am »
I think that's much more clear  :)
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

jeffmandm

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 12:09:16 pm »
I don't know if this is already in the style guide, but Sega games tend to follow a certain numbering scheme from the Mega Drive/Genesis onward, although sometimes they don't follow this depending on the game. EA releases tended to do this because they never showed their item number on the game, only ever keeping it in the header for the ROM, but that's beside the point. Numbers starting with T- are third-party games, while numbers starting with MK- are first-party Sega releases. Usually these can be on the spine, the back of the case, or both.

An example that is easy for me to think of is Mega Man X4 for the Sega Saturn.

Sega Saturn games tend to have the item number on the spine and on the bottom left corner of the main cover.

X4 has a US ID code of T-1219H and a Japanese ID code of T-1221G. European releases differ with their numbering sometimes with some releases, but more often than not you will have a -50 at the end, which signifies 50Hz.

I don't know how Dreamcast games work that much, but I think they work in the same way.

Trivia thing here, but with the numbering scheme, the first two or three digits of the T code signifies the publisher, ex. Capcom = T-12, EA = T-50, etc. The other digits signify the game itself, usually meant as an order of release thing, and for Saturn and Dreamcast the last letter signifies the system.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:13:46 pm by jeffmandm »

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 10:19:46 am »
X4 has a US ID code of T-1219H and a Japanese ID code of T-1221G. European releases differ with their numbering sometimes with some releases, but more often than not you will have a -50 at the end, which signifies 50Hz.

The 50 may relate to 50Hz but from my understanding of EU Saturn games, all English releases are -50, while other countries have different numbers.

-09 = France
-18 = Germany
-50 = European English/UK
-51 = Spain/Italy

jeffmandm

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 12:10:38 pm »
That might have been part of the reason. So we'd best just say in the style guide if we do decide to add it that it's related to the release language/region. Best not to assume something. Personally I would also add the T series codes as well, but since the list is REALLY expansive, as it covers the Dreamcast as well in some places, it might be best to just link to SegaRetro's page on it and then say to consult that for more information or something.

Edit: Found SegaRetro has a table referring to the region codes as well. Might be of use. I've also linked the T-series codes.

https://segaretro.org/Region_codes
https://segaretro.org/Third-party_T-series_codes
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:31:58 pm by jeffmandm »