Author Topic: PC Advice (Broken Graphics Card?)  (Read 1382 times)

rayne315

PC Advice (Broken Graphics Card?)
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:19:19 am »
Well I saw the other thread that popped up and thought about adding the question there but it did not seem to be ended so...

Recently on my wifes PC her games have been prompting her that her graphics card drivers were ~400 days out of date and needed to be updated to play the game. all well and good so we go to the graphics card manufacturers website and update to the newest drives. and everything works great then at the end of the day we shut it off and the next morning start it back up to an error message. something along the lines of "something you have recently downloaded has failed, reverting to a previous version" (unsure what the real message was). so it boots up after ~20 mins of reverting and find out the graphics card was what was reverted. so we tried it again, the update worked and we were able to play the games we wanted shut down and restarted to the same message. but this time the revert never finished and ended up blue screening in the process. so we force reset it and now nothing displays on the monitor at all.

the pc powers on just fine and runs but I can no longer get anything to display. did I brick the graphics card or is there a way to fix the no display? normally I would think a virus but we never clicked on any link and instead went straight to the graphics card website posted on the box it came in and downloaded the drivers from there.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kypherion

Re: PC Advice (Broken Graphics Card?)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 11:40:14 am »
What graphics card is it?
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:57:21 am »
Well I saw the other thread that popped up and thought about adding the question there but it did not seem to be ended so...

Recently on my wifes PC her games have been prompting her that her graphics card drivers were ~400 days out of date and needed to be updated to play the game. all well and good so we go to the graphics card manufacturers website and update to the newest drives. and everything works great then at the end of the day we shut it off and the next morning start it back up to an error message. something along the lines of "something you have recently downloaded has failed, reverting to a previous version" (unsure what the real message was). so it boots up after ~20 mins of reverting and find out the graphics card was what was reverted. so we tried it again, the update worked and we were able to play the games we wanted shut down and restarted to the same message. but this time the revert never finished and ended up blue screening in the process. so we force reset it and now nothing displays on the monitor at all.

the pc powers on just fine and runs but I can no longer get anything to display. did I brick the graphics card or is there a way to fix the no display? normally I would think a virus but we never clicked on any link and instead went straight to the graphics card website posted on the box it came in and downloaded the drivers from there.

I may know a little about this,

It could be the monitor, but if you are able to get any picture the read the following

What is the program giving you that message that It need to be updated? Because there are many undetectable viruses and malware that could cause the software to break, or even prevent updating.

[I don't know everything so do this at your own risk]
 so try

[NEED TO HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION TO DO THE FOLLOWING, ALSO KEEP IN MIND THIS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK DEPENDING, ON IF YOU HAVE A FAULTY VIDEO CARD, OR MALWARE, OR EVEN A FAULTY DISPLAY MONITOR OR MONITOR DISPLAY DRIVER ] 

Ok try to uninstall the video card completely  from "Device Manager" if you got windows 10 type Device Manager into the empty search box.[open it] go to "Display Adapters and uninstall all the video drivers but right clicking then and go into properties,then uninstall device, after that reboot the PC as prompted. Hopefully if your graphics card is still working and you have no malware. Windows should automatically install the needed drivers upon next startup automatically
[it should]. then to get the correct software for your video card goto the manufactures website and download the correct driver software. in order to control the video cards settings you need both the windows driver and the manufactures software

1: Ok try to uninstall the video card completely  from "Device Manager" if you got windows 10 type Device Manager into the empty search box [open it]
2: go to "Display Adapters and uninstall all the video drivers. by right clicking then and go into properties,then uninstall device
3: after that reboot the PC as prompted.
4: Windows should automatically install the needed drivers upon next startup, automatically.
5: [it should]. then to get the correct software for your video card goto the manufactures website and download the correct driver software. in order to control the video cards settings, you need both the windows driver, and the manufactures software

It may also help to uninstall the monitor driver completely also. Though I am not as sure about that

Go into control panel then click on small icons for device manager if your don't have windows 10 OS

IF YOU UNPLUG YOUR GRAPHICS CARD THEN WINDOWS WON'T AUTO DETECT IT THE VIDEO CARD FOR SURE, but it may give you a picture IF you plug the monitor into the motherboard port on the back, but that is not recommended unless your video card is first unplugged completely 

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:52:50 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

rayne315

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 05:04:57 pm »
What graphics card is it?

im not at home right now so I don't know the exact model but its a XFX Radeon Rx 560 or 580 something.

IF YOU UNPLUG YOUR GRAPHICS CARD THEN WINDOWS WON'T AUTO DETECT IT THE VIDEO CARD FOR SURE, but it may give you a picture IF you plug the monitor into the motherboard port on the back, but that is not recommended unless your video card is first unplugged completely 

If I unplug it will I be able to get the onboard graphics to book up so I can see something and re-plug in the graphics card to re-download the drivers for it? I still have the original driver disc but without being able to see what im doing I wont be able to use it I don't think.

and no I have tried it on my 2 monitors and a tv and nothing ever displays
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:07:05 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 06:07:05 pm »

If I unplug it will I be able to get the onboard graphics to book up so I can see something and re-plug in the graphics card to re-download the drivers for it? I still have the original driver disc but without being able to see what im doing I wont be able to use it I don't think.

and no I have tried it on my 2 monitors and a tv and nothing ever displays

EVERY PC IS SOMEWHAT DIFFERENT

yes in most cases
I am not sure but as long as you disconnect and unplug the video card from the motherboard first, and just by plugging your  monitor to the default blue VGA slot. your computer should boot to
 windows with the display/integrated motherboard graphics automatically.

If it don't work after that. Then you must edit the BIO's to avoid going into a black screen after your  windows startup. every computer has a different technique for entering the BIOS but usually the screen tells you what button to push as soon as it boots up before going into windows. look at the BIO's screen carefully you don't want to change the wrong setting or lock yourself out of the BIO's. (not that you would) but just be careful :).

if you ever get locked out the BIO's by accident like I have before. than all you have to do is remove than re-incert the battery to reset the BIOS :)

but in this case sound to me, it looks like you need another video card. If you or your wife play a lot of newer 3D games.

although my PC plays 3D and 2D games just fine, without a video card.

Let me know if I helped in anyway, :-\

NOTE: your display will probably look like shit right away but once the motherboard graphics install their drivers, automatically you can always change at least the default resolution
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:51:31 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ffxik

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 09:45:45 pm »
Your best bet is to use the on board graphics to get a display going then get in touch with your card manufacturers technical support, either over the phone or on chat (if available).  It sounds to me like he card is dead, but best not mess with it and take the chance of killing it.

If it were me, I would ditch the Radeon and buy a GTX 1060 6GB.  They're roughly the same price and you may sacrifice 2 GBs of GDDR5, but the Intel chip set consumes less power than the AMD chip set and provides the same performance.