Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge 2019  (Read 1822 times)

telly

PRO Supporter

Re: 52 Games Challenge 2019
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2019, 10:41:18 am »
Game 3 – Stardew Valley (PS4) – 66 Hours

I counted this game as finished when I got to year three and got my evaluation from Grandpa.

+
Really enjoyed my time with this one, it’s one of those games that’s really hard to put down and the hours just kind of rack up without you noticing. I hadn’t played any farm-sim games before though I’ve had some Harvest Moon games on my wishlist for years. The gameplay and freedom to do whatever you want are what really make this game as fun as it is. Nothing is held back from you and there’s a wonderful sense of discovery combined the feeling of working up towards all those big goals and achievements. It’s interesting how a game that’s mostly the same actions every day over and over again can be so engrossing, and it’s also because there’s a lot of different things to do, like growing crops, raising animals, fighting monsters or mining for gems and minerals, or fall in love. The soundtrack is also wonderful, and the graphics are nice too.

-
I have one main complaint and a more nitpicky concern. I feel like the way your character moves in 2D space doesn’t really jive with the grid-based placement of plants and fencing. It can be really easy to accidentally destroy something by accident or place a plant in the wrong space because you aren’t facing just right. Placing furniture in your house is ESPECIALLY irritating. To this day I still can’t figure out how to place something as simple as a picture frame! There are also some minor glitches, jittering, spelling errors, and other bugs that prevent the game from being as polished as it could be. It might be because I’m playing on console though.

On the topic of glitches one of my favorites was when I bought a bus ticket to go to the desert, but my horse was in the way, so my character got stuck spinning around in circles for about 10 seconds, then magically teleported into the bus. I thought I softlocked the game xD

Back to my list
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:48:14 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut (PS4), Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4)

« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2019, 12:09:37 pm »
Finished both Snake Pass and Resident Evil HD last night.  Nothing in progress at the moment, but planning on jumping into Golf Story and Resident Evil 2 (PS4) next.

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2019, 02:45:31 am »
9 - Devil May Cry V (PS4 2019) - BEAT - Despite not being a fan of this series, not liking DMC4 and only beating the DMC reboot, I had a ton of fun with this one.  It's so over-the-top and cheesy and it is really just a blast to play.  I'm not particularly good at combos, but I will say, play on Devil Hunter unless you know you are absolutely terrible, because "Human" is way too easy, but I was more there for the experience than the challenge.  About the only thing I didn't like was playing as V.  He's not bad, but compared to Dante and Nero, he's both lacking and just not nearly as fun to play.  Like Dante gets all these different weapons and Nero has the Devil Breakers, and there's V sending out his pets to do the dirty work while finishing off the creature.  I'd honestly have been happier with the game if he had not been a playable character.  Fun game otherwise.

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2019, 09:23:40 am »
I finished the games that I hadn't previously played in the Disney Afternoon Collection.

Chip N Dale’s Rescue Rangers 2
Talespin
Darkwing Duck
Ducktales 2

Darkwing Duck is probably the only one worth revisiting.  None of them are bad, but Chip N Dale and Ducktales are fine sequels but are pretty short and easy compared to their first game and Talespin is an ok bullet hell shooter, but that's not really my genre.  DW is fun and semi-challenging, with some pretty cool level and boss design.

Playing ~Something New~ @ http://www.twitch.tv/cartagiald

mizzach86

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2019, 02:45:11 pm »
1. Overcooked (2016) [PS4]
Completion Requirements:
•   3 stars on all levels in main campaign
•   3 stars on all levels in Lost Morsel DLC
•   3 stars on all levels in Festive Seasoning DLC
•   Obtained all trophies

Yay, I finally finished a game in 2019. This game was a lot of fun and shows how a simple concept of cooking food and running a kitchen as the core gameplay can be entertaining. I played this co-op with my brother. It's probably more fun as a multiplayer game than single player. Recommended.

telly

PRO Supporter

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2019, 11:31:20 am »
Game 4 - Shantae: Risky's Revenge: Director's Cut (PS4) - 6 Hours

This game was decent, but isn't as good as Pirate's Curse or Half-Genie Hero. I don't know why, I just didn't enjoy this as much as the other two. I think going backwards in the series may have something to do with it, because the game just feels like... less of an experience than the other two, which is pretty substantial because most of these games are relatively same-y. This game has less transformations, less power ups, less boss fights, and less stages. The game is still fun though, pretty good gameplay, great music, lots of secrets and decent replay value.

Touching on some stuff that I really didn't like, it was frustrating how you couldn't just pay for upgrades and you needed an extra item in addition to money. There was also a moment where you need a crucial upgrade and it's locked behind a wooden barrier that your supposed to burn down with an optional powerup you buy in the shop. The game doesn't tell you that you can burn down wooden barriers however, which was extremely annoying to find out.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:36:48 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut (PS4), Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4)

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2019, 01:43:59 pm »
14. Uncharted Drakes Fortune (PS4) 3/13 - Beat

Finished up the first Uncharted on Wednesday. I'm hooked, i'll be playing through the whole series now lol

wolfen

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2019, 11:57:16 pm »
4. Unravel Two(PS4)

I was very happily surprised when this was announced randomly last year because I loved the original so much. I finally got to playing it and I am a little disappointed by how short it is. Me and my sister played through it in about 5-6 hours total which definitely feels shorter than the first. It improved a lot on the gameplay mechanics, graphics, and the customization options and with the addition of a second character it adds another dimension to each puzzle. Overall a great sequel to the first and it was nice playing a multiplayer game with my sister for the first time in a bit.

Time: 5-6 hours

5. Journey(PS4)

I also played this again for the first time in a few years and it was just as wonderful as the first time. Very fun, relaxing, and thoughtful.

Time: 3 hours
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:01:20 am by wolfen »

« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2019, 01:24:07 am »
4 - ZeroRanger (PC 2018) - BEAT - I'm counting this as beat, even if I didn't get the true ending lol This is a really great little shoot'em up with cool art and music, and I beat the last boss, just to get to one more thing to do that basically requires me to not lose against one more boss or my save is deleted...I lost.  I'm not gonna go back and redo the game again, maybe way down the road, but I'm good for now.  I do recommend the game, but on PC, I'd do some save manipulation next time where you backup the save, so that you can just get back to where you were before as I'm not super huge on these types of meta things most of the time (Undertale being one of the other notable ones that does it well.)