Author Topic: I have $14 left in Wii Shop money. How should I spend it?  (Read 1932 times)

topspot123

I have $14 left in Wii Shop money. How should I spend it?
« on: January 14, 2019, 01:08:22 pm »
We are days away from the Wii Shop's permanent closure.  I still have a balance of $14 to spend before it's too late.  What game(s) should I pick up?  What is the best optimization strategy?

(This story is true, but the thread is mostly just for fun.  I am aware of Wii hacking.  I'm just looking for your opinions.)

Re: I have $14 left in Wii Shop money. How should I spend it?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:13:13 pm »
I would recommend Chrono Trigger ($8) and Dig Dug ($6) to round it out. Both games need no explanation, and are timeless classics.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:15:00 pm by courtlyhades296 »

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 01:42:53 pm »
I would recommend a WiiWare title that isn’t available anywhere else like Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth.  You never know if they’ll ever legitimately be available again.

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 02:04:33 pm »
I made sure to buy My Life as a King and some of its DLC ... this list might be of interest :)
https://www.destructoid.com/get-these-games-while-you-still-can-a-wii-shop-essentials-guide-492730.phtml
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 02:50:01 pm »
Can someone explain how one would transfer their downloaded Wii games to their Wii U System? Does the game in question have to be available on the Wii U shop for this to work?  Im new to this Nintendo transfer stuff. Thanks!  ;D

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 03:27:51 pm »
Can someone explain how one would transfer their downloaded Wii games to their Wii U System? Does the game in question have to be available on the Wii U shop for this to work?  Im new to this Nintendo transfer stuff. Thanks!  ;D
It may have changed, and someone may correct me, but I don't think you were never really able to transfer from the Wii to the Wii U, you got discounts on getting the same title on the Wii U.

topspot123

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 03:42:20 pm »
I would recommend Chrono Trigger ($8) and Dig Dug ($6) to round it out. Both games need no explanation, and are timeless classics.

Excellent recommendations.  I'm not a big RPG fan, but Chrono Trigger seems to be a game for the ages and I've never played it (yet). 

I would recommend a WiiWare title that isn’t available anywhere else like Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth.  You never know if they’ll ever legitimately be available again.

I'm really intrigued by the Rebirth series, but I can only afford one.  And then that would leave me with $4 to figure out what to buy with. 

I made sure to buy My Life as a King and some of its DLC ... this list might be of interest :)
https://www.destructoid.com/get-these-games-while-you-still-can-a-wii-shop-essentials-guide-492730.phtml

Hm, I'll look into that.  I hadn't considered any of these games having DLC.

It may have changed, and someone may correct me, but I don't think you were never really able to transfer from the Wii to the Wii U, you got discounts on getting the same title on the Wii U.

You are partially right.  You can transfer your entire Wii Shop profile, with all purchases, to the Wii portion of the Wii U.  The Wii shops are identical.  This will not be possible after the shop closes.  If you wanted to have 'enhanced' versions of your Virtual Console games be available directly from the Wii U dashboard, this is what's eligible for a discount if you had 1) previously purchased it on Wii and 2) had transferred from the Wii to the Wii portion of the Wii U.  Am I making any sense?  If you have any more questions, it would be best to check Nintendo's faqs before it's too late. 

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 05:40:54 pm »
Just spent my last 1400 points on La Mulana (WiiWare), Proto Man DLC for Mega Man 9 (WiiWare) and Bass DLC for Mega Man 10 (WiiWare).

Cave Story is an awesome WiiWare game.

kypherion

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 09:53:43 pm »
Rondo of Blood
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

pzeke

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 12:55:56 pm »
At least you have (or had) 1,400 points to splurge on something a bit more worthwhile. I only had 600 points left and learned about Nintendo shutting the VC quite late, which meant I couldn’t purchase additional points. I spent about an hour going through a list of WiiWare titles and a few reviews, and after much deliberation ended up getting Kyotokei for 500 points, using the last 100 points on the Hero Mode DLC for Mega Man 9.

Wii hacking is a thing I’ve been considering for quite a long time, so I’m planning on getting another in the near future just for that. I neglected the Wii for too long that I unfortunately missed out on pretty much everything, so hacking one will be my way of "catching up".

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

topspot123

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 02:12:25 pm »
At least you have (or had) 1,400 points to splurge on something a bit more worthwhile. I only had 600 points left and learned about Nintendo shutting the VC quite late, which meant I couldn’t purchase additional points. I spent about an hour going through a list of WiiWare titles and a few reviews, and after much deliberation ended up getting Kyotokei for 500 points, using the last 100 points on the Hero Mode DLC for Mega Man 9.

Wii hacking is a thing I’ve been considering for quite a long time, so I’m planning on getting another in the near future just for that. I neglected the Wii for too long that I unfortunately missed out on pretty much everything, so hacking one will be my way of "catching up".

I'm totally considering grabbing a second Wii for the same reason.