Author Topic: How intentional are you about picking up new stuff?  (Read 2432 times)

How intentional are you about picking up new stuff?
« on: January 14, 2019, 06:09:22 pm »
Do you have a wishlist and regularly buy off it or just browse flee markets, goodwill, ebay etc. until a good deal is found on something that interests you that you stumble upon by accident?

pizzasafari

Re: How intentional are you about picking up new stuff?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 07:03:01 pm »
The effort is noticed and appreciated, Seeth. Though you really should take part in your own discussions too. Which do you do? Chat about it with us.

Ideally I have in my head a list of games that I really want, and when I can afford it I go on ebay and buy them up. But I am also a reckless spender and if I'm in town I will always wander into a game shop and see if I can spot anything that takes my fancy.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 07:50:19 pm »
I try to group items by priority of how much my collection "needs" them and try to stick to buying the higher priority items. This is mostly just so I can give my collection some focus instead of just buying whatever interests me at the moment.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:26:05 pm »
I'm maintained a Wishlist ever since I began collecting. It is ever changing, mostly expanding, and I update it whenever i find a game I'm after and remove it from the list. I used to prioritize by how badly I wanted stuff, but I feel like when I find a game I have an internal knowledge of how badly i want a game and how much I'd be willing to spend on it.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:26:34 pm »
I go with the flow and look for somthing that catches my eye. I don't always want to drop a ton of cash so I might settle for somthing not on my most wanted list if I think I'll like it.

mark1982

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:56:11 am »
I definitely keep a wish list of items, but it's usually for unreleased games or harder to find older titles for me to keep track of that I can order online.

When I head to thrift stores or retro shops I don't get my hopes up, just take a look if anything catches my attention for a good price. I don't buy every game under the sun so if I'm lucky I will spot something that I like.
  l    l 

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:59:06 am »
Little of both, but mostly wishlist. I keep a list on Amazon (it's convenient) that I update as I discover new titles/buy things. I don't prioritize, but the list is divided up based on a title's availability & cost. That's both to help anyone using the list during the gift-giving season & to help me review titles based on what my budget would allow for at the time & current sales.

I find it helps keep me focused- for example, let's say Gamestop has a buy 2 get 1 free on preowned. Instead of popping in and buying the first 3 titles that catch my eye, I consult my newer game list & figure out if there's 3 titles I want in a local store at all. I may not even go in during the sale if I can't make a set from my list. I also do a quick skim before conventions & trips to the larger game stores. I don't bring printouts or written lists, though- the way I see it, if I can't make it stick in my head, I probably don't want it that badly right then.

I am willing to browse, of course- they're always some title you're curious about but forget the name of so it never makes a list, plus it keeps the thrill of 'the hunt' to get something good that just happened to be there. I find keeping the list helps me do that largely with lower cost items- I'm not likely to spend $100 on a random copy of Bomberman 64: the Second Attack I find at a store, becuase for that kind of cash I'd rather have Truxton, or Albert Odyssey, or Thunder Force V. On the flip side- poking around a Gamestop to kill time before work & finding a $5 copy of Heavenly Sword? Yeah, I'll buy that, I forgot that game even existed.

gf78

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:18:54 am »
I keep a wish list on here that is ever changing. I mark them according to importance when I have the time. Right now, Zelda stuff is top priority and there are items like instruction manuals I am missing that while not on my wish list, I'm always looking out for.

If I come across something not high on my priority list but it's a great deal or I can get on a trade, I'll grab it. For example, Battalion Wars II for Wii was nowhere near the top of my purchase priorities. But a near mint complete copy for two bucks was a no-brainer.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 11:16:42 am »
I like to keep a mental list of things. Usually, when I'm in a new town or killing time at a store, I just browse. If something catches my eye, then cool.

ysssk

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 07:28:40 pm »
I have already gone through all of the shops and flea markets in my local area, so i am now restricted to online searches.
I do have a wish list of sorts, i look on several online sites for titles i need, and if the price is what i am willing to pay, i buy.
Currently i am working on a Red Set for the PS2, and oh boy that is getting harder to find ones i dont have at my price point.
The Smiling Bandit Strikes again HAHAHAHAHA

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 07:55:50 pm »
I like to buy a variety of things and keep a mental note of the games I buy as well as music CDs. I don't like to own the same item twice because that is just a waste of money in my opinion, especially if there is a ton of other stuff I don't have already and want  that is also in front of me for the same price. I  don't like to buy a lot of video games anymore because I've been sick mentally lately plus most of my games are not even played.

I believe in mastering a video game that I am not already sick of but that never happened in my whole life yet.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 01:37:20 pm »
I personally have a wish list for most of my consoles and handhelds. I still sometimes spur of the moment buy because it looks interesting. That being said a few years ago I realized how many games i had that when i put them in I hated them, so I spent 2 weeks looking up game play videos of a lot of them and made my wish list.I have a few systems im going for a complete set of but the majority of them I am not. But systems like the master system, wii, genesis, ds, and gba just had a ton of games that did not interest me. So i went to pricecharting and went through alphabetical order and just watched gameplay videos and made a wishlist from there. It was completely mind numbingly boring but it helped my wallet a lot.

kypherion

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 07:36:47 pm »
I do a fair bit of both, I'll make a game list for a swap or con I go to but also do a bit of freelancing if I see a game I want at a reasonable price.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

ferraroso

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 08:59:13 pm »
As some other people here also seem to be doing, I have a mental list of the games I want... however, these are all too expensive... Haha
So, what I usually end up doing is buying a game I find to be interesting when I feel that it is worth the price and that I can't find it cheaper on Yahoo! Auctions.

pzeke

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 12:57:48 pm »
Yeah, I have one. It’s fourteen pages long, but nothing in it is a priority. I like to go with the flow – if I find whatever I want in the list, awesome; if not, it’s good. Good things come to those who wait, as the say.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!