Author Topic: Your favorite and least favorite console you've collected for  (Read 5089 times)

Your favorite and least favorite console you've collected for
« on: January 14, 2019, 08:24:01 pm »
When I say your favorite and least favorite consoles to collect for I mean the actual experience you've had with collecting for a specific console, not necessarily if that console is your favorite or least favorite.

Here are mine.

Favorite: PS2 - You often hear stories of people who got into collecting for a certain console at just the right time when barely anyone was interested in that console, the games were everywhere, and most of them were next to nothing given the lack of demand. That was the PS2 for me. I got into PS2 collecting in 2010 at that time when the PS3 had been out long enough where everyone was focused on that and also this was before video game collecting got really popular. I had many spots back then where I regularly found cheap games and I found countless hard to find PS2 games for just a few bucks each. Very few games in my PS2 collection were bought at market value at the time, and there are countless doubles of games like Haunting Ground, Kuon, and other rare titles I found for next to nothing. Being able to find these these games so easily and so cheap made collecting for the PS2 a really good time for me.

Least: NTSC/US Saturn - Yes, I just began collecting for the US Saturn again and I'm already being reminded why it was so challenging and frustrating when I first tried collecting for it back in 2008. Let's get the obvious out of the way; US Sega Saturn collecting is very expensive and on top of that the games are incredibly scarce and hard to find in person. This pretty much means that if you want to collect for the Saturn, online resources such as eBay, Amazon, Facebook Marketplace, and other sources like that are your only real option, unless you want to be incredibly patient. I went back into Saturn collecting knowing this and had accepted it, but what I forgot what what kind of other crap goes along with mostly relying on online sellers to buy for this console. For one, it seems like most sellers who sell Saturn games either don't realize or don't think about how fragile the cases are and ship them bubble mailers or without proper insulation and they arrive to you in pieces. The other aspect of relying on online sellers is trusting them to describe their items accurately and truthfully. I bought two lots of Saturn games this past week, one arrived mostly as described, but the other arrived and nearly all the games were in fair or poor condition even though they were all described as very good. This is eerily similar to my experience back in 2008 when I actually got ripped off on a copy of Panzer Dragoon that was in terrible condition despite it being described in excellent condition. At least now I have ebay buyer protection, but back then I got screwed out of my money. But anyhow, so far US Saturn collecting has been a bitch and almost more of a headache than it's worth. I'm sticking with it, but I hope that my experience and my luck changes with it in the near future.

Re: Your favorite and least favorite console you've collected for
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 08:37:15 pm »
Favorite:
1.  PS2
2.  Xbox 360
3.  LCD Games  (not a console)

Least Favorite:
1.  Wii
2.  N64

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 08:39:08 pm »
I'd say PS2 or 360 for favorite and least favorite... there are too many, but just about anything pre SNES or obscure/uncommon.

azotam

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:31:33 pm »
For favourite:
1) PS1 (Got it in 2007; still works)
2) Sinclair ZX Spectrum (cannot remember the date, stopped working entirely since 2014 and technically not a console)

Least favourite:
1) PS4 (Malfunctioned after purchasing it after a firmware update)
2) Xbox 360 (mines scratched the disc anytime they were inserted, I check to forums and found that this problem permeated with others as well)
Still updating collection.

kypherion

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:53:23 pm »
That's a hard one, probably gamecube for my favorite, and xbox for my least favorite.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 11:16:40 pm »
My favorite top 5 are snes,Dreamcast,ps2,nes,saturn in that order
Least favorite 3do,atari lynx

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 11:39:07 pm »
Favorite

This is a tough question :) although it might not be my favorite console I have to think of what was funnest to collect for, I initially started out adoring the NES. It was the console that got me into collecting because I wanted to enjoy all the games from before my time.  So SNES and NES were essential and I made a retro library.  Then I started moving onto consoles I loved as a kid which was very passionate because I already wanted to relive them like PS2, N64 and PS1.   I'd say my favorite by a very slim margain all time is....

I don't think I could choose over PS2 because I love it and it's my favorite console ever which is clouding my decision and it defined my childhood, but Wii U is very close because of Amiibos.  If you factor in amiibos, it's hard because I love them :)  Amiibos are like a whole another passion on their own.

Least Favorite

I know this one is sacreligious because many love it very much, and I love it a lot too.  It's a awesome console but between PS2, GameCube and even Xbox I can't really find myself wanting to chase a large library for it and I only have 1 game for it.  Another thing that makes it hard to collect for is I have the dreamcast that plays burnt games, and it's essentially easy to play any single game you want for it within minutes instead of paying the premium for the insane price (I actually don't do this) but knowing that I could makes me hesitant to buy any of the big exclusives that are expensive.  Although I would love to get the Sonic Adventure games :)

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:00:14 am »
If I had to rank a 2nd and 3rd favorite respectively it would be PS1 and XBOX respectively.

2nd and 3rd least favorite would be NES and SNES respectively.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 02:13:19 am »
My favorite is collecting for the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation 2

My least favorite is the Super Nintendo (SNES) and Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 04:12:31 am »
The least favourite console I have collected for is... PlayStation 1

There main reason for this is acquiring games in decent condition is more of a challenge than finding a decent price! I had to buy the original Resident Evil 5x before I got one that was actually in Very Good condition! Which was a joy to play finally but my gosh how furstrating it was. I have a pile of PS1 FF games in my cupboard all from sellers who have ****ed me over with scratched discs, I still need to get a Very Good copy of FF7 - I do intend to take these CD's to the CD Cleaner and at least maek them worth something but at £2 per disc it will be costly.

Last year I bought a mint copy for both Fear Effects, All 4 discs of both games were absolutely pristine! I wrote a mesasge to the seller thanking them so much as I was really worried that at least one disc would be trashed. But yes the biggest frustration I haev had in colelcting is getting older Discs in Mint condition, this applies to PS2 as well as so many sellers are dishonest on eBay.

My favourite console to collect for is... PlayStation 3

While not containg many of my favourite games collecting for the console has been an absolute triumph! Why... because Blu-Ray solved the biggest issues I had with previous generations, the discs are scratch reistant! I remember hearing that they would be before woning the console and I didn't believe it but over the years it has proven to be true and the pure awesomeness of this cannot be understated! It's wonderful to be able to go to cheap 2nd-hand stores and buy PS3 games in confidence - Which has lead me to play a more diverse range of games.

Also, many of the games in recent years have gone for dirt cheap, now is the time to really nab up all them PS3 games. It's the console I have most games for and I have also bought many games for for friends.

sworddude

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 04:58:08 am »
Ps1 is my favourite system to collect for

i would rank ps2 as the 2nd favourite, but the ps1 just gave me a bit more exitement as far as titles go.

For both deals where great over the years very fun systems to collect for. For both systems there where plenty of gem titles wich i just never knew about in comparison to other consoles

As far as discs go I guess i was kinda lucky with the deals that i have made since it really seemed that many people just did not use them games back in the day or barely used them as far as the more interesting titles go in most cases. I will admit though as far as ps1 games go getting all 3 spyro and crash bandicoot games with near mint discs was a challenge since they where always used but with allot of light scratches as the only exceptions to this rule. Normal wear though but still. Ofcourse bad discs are thing sometimes there is some bad luck but overall the deals for these systems are very cheap so it's not a big deal

Least favourite consoles to collect for are sega saturn and n64. Deals for those systems are absolutely a pain to get. Sega saturn is rare and N64 is just overhyped. I'll place nes as my 3rd least favourite console.

I could mention turbografx and neo geo but to be fair those are kinda non existent so I do not really collect for those would be an unfair comparison.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:01:17 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 08:13:37 am »
Favorite: PlayStation 2

Least favorite: Nintendo DS

gf78

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 09:28:00 am »
Least favorite for me would have to be Gamecube. Why?  Because the games are getting harder & harder to find for reasonable prices. Everyone thinks they are sitting on a goldmine and trying to rake you over the coals.

And many times when I DO actually find a game I want for it, the damn manual is missing!  What did they do, eat it?!  Another reason is that Nintendo used those wonky cases with all 2 billion cutouts in the plastic shell. No matter how you tried to close the case, unless you only pressed on the razor-thin edge of the case to snap it shut, you ended up denting the cover art in. I was always careful, but 99% of people weren't. So the art is almost always dented/rippled or even torn from pressing in on the case. Hell, even popping the discs out can dent the art on the back of the case unless you are extremely careful!   >:(
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

telly

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 09:31:53 am »
Least favorite for me would have to be Gamecube. Why?  Because the games are getting harder & harder to find for reasonable prices. Everyone thinks they are sitting on a goldmine and trying to rake you over the coals.

And many times when I DO actually find a game I want for it, the damn manual is missing!  What did they do, eat it?!  Another reason is that Nintendo used those wonky cases with all 2 billion cutouts in the plastic shell. No matter how you tried to close the case, unless you only pressed on the razor-thin edge of the case to snap it shut, you ended up denting the cover art in. I was always careful, but 99% of people weren't. So the art is almost always dented/rippled or even torn from pressing in on the case. Hell, even popping the discs out can dent the art on the back of the case unless you are extremely careful!   >:(

I also feel like I have to literally peel the disc out of the GameCube case which is why I think a ton of GameCube discs have cracks in them :/
Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy VI (SNESc), The Last Guardian (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 09:41:44 am »
Least favorite: Nintendo DS

I'd be interested to hear your explanation of this.

The DS has been pretty enjoyable to collect for for me. I seem to find the games often and they are usually prices very low when i find them.