Poll

How should game/accessory packs be handled in the database?

Method 1: All accessory packs that include games go into the accessory category
3 (16.7%)
Method 2: All accessory packs that include games go into the game category
15 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: January 24, 2019, 10:10:30 am

Author Topic: Style Guide Poll #4: Games with Accessories  (Read 3558 times)

pzeke

Re: Style Guide Poll #4: Games with Accessories
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 06:29:29 pm »
I actually thought those Sega peripherals were treated as accessories.

In my opinion because all of those items have to be attached to a console in order to function, they're accessories. None of them could play games if they weren't married to their parent console. [...]

My exact line of thinking.

I'm also in favor of re-categorizing the Sega CD and 32X, and any other such add-on, as an accessory.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 09:28:06 am »
This change was denied and I think I know why

https://vgcollect.com/item/1582

This listing is not for the controller, it's for the bundle, but the box literally says Taiko Drum Master - Drum Controller.

Drum was never sold separately in this packaging.  Will resubmit.

tripredacus

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 09:32:29 am »
One item you tried to move earlier was rejected because the category selected was PS4 [NA]. But now this item is in the correct category and I fixed the name.

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 09:37:53 am »
One item you tried to move earlier was rejected because the category selected was PS4 [NA]. But now this item is in the correct category and I fixed the name.
Ooops.

tripredacus

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 10:22:54 am »
Got a new one.
What about accessories with download codes for games?

Should this remain in the accessory category or be put in the game category?
https://vgcollect.com/item/182963

ref: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uPoAAOSwRYZfB0JM/s-l1600.jpg

dhaabi

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 10:54:23 am »
Accessories with digital download codes as opposed to physical games don't seem all too different from another. My vote is to treat them both the same as being labeled as an Accessory.

tripredacus

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 12:15:03 pm »
Accessories with digital download codes as opposed to physical games don't seem all too different from another. My vote is to treat them both the same as being labeled as an Accessory.

I agree!

However, that is not what the community decided and also not what I'm asking.

Currently all games with accessories and all accessories with games are considered "games" and put into the game category, not the accessory category.
Currently all games with download codes but no games are put into the game category.
Do we consider accessories with download codes but no games to also be considered games?

dhaabi

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 12:34:34 pm »

I agree!

However, that is not what the community decided and also not what I'm asking.

Currently all games with accessories and all accessories with games are considered "games" and put into the game category, not the accessory category.
Currently all games with download codes but no games are put into the game category.
Do we consider accessories with download codes but no games to also be considered games?

That's my mistake entirely! I glanced at the polls and read them wrong.

While I still agree oppositely with what the community has already decided upon, differentiating accessories with games and accessories with download codes seems, to me, only a decision that would cause further confusion. So, in short, I think accessories with download codes for digital games should also be categorized broadly as games.

tripredacus

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 11:33:20 am »
Atsumete Godzilla: https://vgcollect.com/item/55187
This item is unique in that it is a Dreamcast VMU, but it is also a standalone game. The packaging does not mention Dreamcast anywhere, as this item was released well before the Dreamcast itself was. I am thinking that this particular item should not be in a Dreamcast category at all, rather the LCD games category.

It was in the DC Accessory category, but I put it in Dreamcast [JP]. Where should and item like this be put?

pzeke

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 07:20:44 pm »
If it came before the Dreamcast, and there's nowhere in the packaging where the console is mentioned, then yeah, it shouldn't be in the Dreamcast category. LCD seems about right.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2020, 08:23:20 am »
If it functions as a DC memory card, I would put it in the DC accessory category.  The Pocketstation for the PS1 is in the accessories category for the PS1.  It serves as a memory card and as a stand alone game system.

If it doesn't function as a DC memory card, then I definitely wouldn't have it under the DC category at all.

Through a short research, it does appear it was advertised as a DC product (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbniDDVnYao roughly 33 seconds in)

pzeke

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 12:31:28 pm »
If that were the case, then sure, otherwise it shouldn't be in the category it currently is in.

ferraroso owns it, so maybe he could share some information and perhaps confirm if it works with the Dreamcast or not - possibly even share an image of the back to see if the Dreamcast is mentioned there seeing as the only image we have to go by is the front.

EDIT: Although I just checked and it seems he doesn't have the original packaging...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 12:33:03 pm by pzeke »

tripredacus

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 03:33:41 pm »
The facts about the item are:
1. It was originally sold as a stand-alone LCD game and is an official Sega product.
2. It was released before the Dreamcast was released (around 4 months)
3. The packaging makes no mention of the Dreamcast (specifically) however I did not do a full back translation.
4. When the Dreamcast was released, this game was advertised as being compatible as a VMU.
5. It works with the Dreamcast and is functionally the same as an actual VMU.

It seems to be a unique situation as far as I can tell.

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 08:09:31 am »
On a less objective note and totally speculative, I think most people who own this item probably own it as a dreamcast accessory and not as a stand alone lcd toy.

My vote is still put it under DC accessory.