Author Topic: Do you ever have a hard time opening new games?  (Read 1793 times)

jcalder8

Do you ever have a hard time opening new games?
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:48:41 am »
When I buy a brand new unopened game I find myself having a hard time opening it, even if it's something that I want to play. Part of it is the fact that it could be worth 2k monies at a later date but also there is a voice in my head that says "what if this is the last sealed copy."

There must be someone else who has to have an inner dialog before they can open a game.

soera

Re: Do you ever have a hard time opening new games?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:12:18 am »
Generally, no. I usually buy a game cause its something I want to play. But lately, Ive picked up a few new games simply to collect and those I just wont open.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:12:34 am »
Then you should always buy two sealed copies and keep one of them sealed.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 05:42:14 am »
I honestly have trouble with that as well, not with "new games" as in PS3 or Wii or anything, but "new to me" I recently found Chu Chu Rocket on dreamcast sealed at a thrift store and decided not open it, I also have a few sealed Game Gear games that I was planning on opening, but it's hard sometimes, I mean if its something I really wanna play I'd rather buy an open complete copy online or something, it's cheaper and you dont get that guilt factor

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:51:25 am »
The only thing I have sealed is Never7 ~ The End of Infinity on Dreamcast and really it's only still sealed because I can't read Japanese, so it'd be mostly pointless to do much with it, y'know.

hexen

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:45:09 am »
I have the opposite problem, actually. Some things I have that I only have sealed, this for example, I get the urge to go crazy on with the unwrapping. It's fairly uncommon on it's own, and probably insanely rare sealed but... I just... want to touch it! I can't explain it.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

jobocan

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 07:50:26 am »
Not at all. I buy games to play them, so I open them as fast as possible. That said, finding sealed retro games is super rare for me.
If I ever get rich, I'll make it a hobby to buy sealed rare games and make unboxing videos :P

Frankly the only games I'd keep sealed are games I wasn't planning on playing at all (see: Dirge of Cerberus, which I just ended up selling to madmax).

htimreimer

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:00:57 am »
have you ever bought one of those bargain bin pc games that comes in a cardboard box that is the size of a cd jewel case and then try to open it with out ripping the box and end up ripping the box because of a sticker or some sellotape is keeping it close

that's annoying

scott

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:12:47 am »
I've always opened new games once I got them home. I've had this same conversation with some of my friends about action figures too, my stance has always been to open them and enjoy them for myself. I'm not going to get rid of anything until I die anyway.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

blipcs76

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:15:05 am »
I nearly always open them right away to check them out, but I've gotten into the habit of putting new purchases on the shelf until I get to it, since my backlog is always at least a few games deep.  I'm reluctant to open my new copy of Xenoblade, though I do want to play it.  I got several games for Christmas that I need to finish first before I buy anything else.

foxhack

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:33:07 am »
have you ever bought one of those bargain bin pc games that comes in a cardboard box that is the size of a cd jewel case and then try to open it with out ripping the box and end up ripping the box because of a sticker or some sellotape is keeping it close

that's annoying
Boxcutters are your friends.

I have one super rare PC game that's sealed. Nobody appears to have a copy of it anywhere else. I want to open it but it's so... rare and valuable... I can't do it, I just can't!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:34:54 am by foxhack »

darko

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:55:44 am »
Quite a few of my DS games are sealed because I have a flash card. I buy the game, leave it sealed, and then play it on my card. I've done something similar with my PSP titles as well. I also have a few GBA games that I just never opened because I didn't have time to play them. The most noteworthy being FFVI Advance.